Should I get Windows 10?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I had 8.1 on my laptop and thank goodness it's the first one here to get the download. I like it a lot more than 8. I haven't lost any files that I have noticed and everything seems to work really smooth.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah, that's what I've read. I wonder how the waves go though.

BTW, to anyone that has updated, does it keep all your saved files, downloads and software like Microsoft Office? Of course I'm going to back it up before, but it would be nice to know.

It kept everything of mine. I did have some issues with a few different videos weren't able to be played because it was saying it was compressed in a way that they didn't recognize. I updated my VLC player and everything seems to work (even though I've been watching with windows media player)... I also had to go and change all the default "open ____ file with ____" but it was actually really easy, under settings and took about 5 seconds to change everything.

I also got minimized the search thing so it doesn't take up half the task bar (I may dump it all together, not sure yet), and got rid of the task view button, I'll never use that. Organized my start menu to my liking (I really like how they have that set up, one of the better things about it) as well.

For some reason my antiviris had some weird issues after updating on both computers. I use bitdefender, which is compatible with Windows 10, but both times when I upgraded it got lost or something. I couldn't find it, but when it was still on the computer. I ran the installer again and just hit repair, and in about 2 minutes it was good. Spent about 30 minutes running an update and everything is well, so it's running smoothly. I usually don't geek out over OS's, but so far I feel they've knocked this one out of the park. Maybe it's just because 8 was such a pile of shit it makes this look that much better, but I really haven't found anything I dislike about it thus far.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It kept everything of mine. I did have some issues with a few different videos weren't able to be played because it was saying it was compressed in a way that they didn't recognize. I updated my VLC player and everything seems to work (even though I've been watching with windows media player)... I also had to go and change all the default "open ____ file with ____" but it was actually really easy, under settings and took about 5 seconds to change everything.

I also got minimized the search thing so it doesn't take up half the task bar (I may dump it all together, not sure yet), and got rid of the task view button, I'll never use that. Organized my start menu to my liking (I really like how they have that set up, one of the better things about it) as well.

For some reason my antiviris had some weird issues after updating on both computers. I use bitdefender, which is compatible with Windows 10, but both times when I upgraded it got lost or something. I couldn't find it, but when it was still on the computer. I ran the installer again and just hit repair, and in about 2 minutes it was good. Spent about 30 minutes running an update and everything is well, so it's running smoothly. I usually don't geek out over OS's, but so far I feel they've knocked this one out of the park. Maybe it's just because 8 was such a pile of crap it makes this look that much better, but I really haven't found anything I dislike about it thus far.

Great, thanks for that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
For some reason my antiviris had some weird issues after updating on both computers. I use bitdefender, which is compatible with Windows 10, but both times when I upgraded it got lost or something. I couldn't find it, but when it was still on the computer. I ran the installer again and just hit repair, and in about 2 minutes it was good. Spent about 30 minutes running an update and everything is well, so it's running smoothly.
That's what happened to mine too. Couldn't figure out what happened to my bitdefender until I started reading online about how some stuff doesn't automatically work after the upgrade. Same with my network printer. That also disappeared, and that was the hardest thing to get going again. Wasn't simply a matter of going to the CP and adding a new printer. I had to download a whole new software package and manually add it to the network again.

Still though. I like this FAR better than 8.1.

Angry Ram

Finally. I just installed it about an hour ago.

Everything seems faster, although that could be just my imagination.

It forced me to finally update my graphics card w/o screwing up my system. Improved my game experience.

Every file I had is still there, email working fine. Yeah, looks good!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Installed 10 and lost the use of my keyboard! WTF! Going to talk to a tech at Microsoft before I try again since having use of the keyboard is vital to using this laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doh!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I updated a week or two ago. It's a little buggy but seems to run a little better than 7 in most cases. I don't like the automatic update feature that just updates whether you like it or not. Supposedly there is no way to circumvent that but I'll give it a look when I have time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Installed 10 and lost the use of my keyboard! WTF! Going to talk to a tech at Microsoft before I try again since having use of the keyboard is vital to using this laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doh!
Hit the windows key & the space bar and see if that helps.

iced

no - wait til a lot of bugs and kinks are worked out first.. had to help 2 of my friends roll back

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I upgraded from 7. Haven't had any issues. It did try to hide my office 10, though. A quick search found it.
The only thing I had to do was update my drivers for my canon printer. Which I can't stand anyway.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I updated a week or two ago. It's a little buggy but seems to run a little better than 7 in most cases. I don't like the automatic update feature that just updates whether you like it or not. Supposedly there is no way to circumvent that but I'll give it a look when I have time.

I'm 90% sure I saw a way to not automatically update, but it doesn't bother me. It doesn't do anything unless k restart, if it did it in the middle of my work I'd probably be annoyed though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - it has shut down a couple times while I was working in Excel. Kinda pissed me off but it did reopen right where I was.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
So i upgraded and then did the uninstal back to Windows 7. Why? Well there was a problem with power management, if I unplugged the laptop the WiFi card would get shut off after 15 minutes and I couldn't get it turned back on and the WiFi services did not see my router. Plus, my WiFi printer would not work for printing or scanning, even when I plugged directly into it with the USB cable.

So not too happy with it as there is not many tech forums addressing these issues for Windows 10. The stuff I found was for 7 or 8 and the fix did not work.

I'll wait for some service packs to come out.

Angry Ram

So i upgraded and then did the uninstal back to Windows 7. Why? Well there was a problem with power management, if I unplugged the laptop the WiFi card would get shut off after 15 minutes and I couldn't get it turned back on and the WiFi services did not see my router. Plus, my WiFi printer would not work for printing or scanning, even when I plugged directly into it with the USB cable.

So not too happy with it as there is not many tech forums addressing these issues for Windows 10. The stuff I found was for 7 or 8 and the fix did not work.

I'll wait for some service packs to come out.

Does it work after you went back, or still have the same problem?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I have my copy reserved. Still waiting for the bugs to work out before I upgrade. Mostly the gaming bugs with FPS drops and the like.

They give you a year to upgrade if you signed up for it. So, I've got plenty of time.

Angry Ram

My Windows 7 worked just like before. No issues.

Sounds to me like it's a driver issue. You might just need to update that (unless you've tried that, in which case you need a real nerd).

A55VA6

Legend
Windows 10 sounds lame... but I switched to Mac OS X a few years ago and I'm never going back to Windows.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Sounds to me like it's a driver issue. You might just need to update that (unless you've tried that, in which case you need a real nerd).
I did check the drivers (using Windows to check on them). Said they were all current.

A real nerd is what I need!