Sherman, Baldwin blast NFL over fine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
This is pretty good. If you read the whole thing I think you'll like it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...fine-seattle-seahawks-teammate-marshawn-lynch
RENTON, Wash. -- Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman and receiver Doug Baldwin did a parody in front of reporters Tuesday, making a point of criticizing the NFL over fining teammateMarshawn Lynch $100,000 for not talking to the media.

Sherman and Baldwin's little comedy routine focused on what they view as the NFL's hypocritical policies over what players can and cannot say.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Tim BoothRichard Sherman performed a parody with Doug Baldwin, who crouched behind a cardboard cutout of himself, in order to criticize the NFL.

Sherman went to the lectern in the team's auditorium and stood next to a cardboard cutout of Baldwin, who was crouched behind it.

Sherman: "You know the other day, Marshawn Lynch got fined $100,000. Did you know that? They wouldn't have paid him $100,000 if he had talked [before the fine]. Doug, do you think they would have paid him?"

Baldwin: "No, they sure would not."

Sherman: "Geez, Louise. But you know who pays me a lot of money? Beats by Dre, the wonderful headphones I wear. But the league doesn't let me say anything about them. Doug, why is that?"

Baldwin: "I don't know. Sounds kind of hypocritical to me."

NFL policy states that players are not allowed to show or use items with non-NFL sponsor logos 90 minutes before or after games.

Sherman: "Yeah, it sounds a little bit hypocritical. It seems like we're in a league where they say, 'Players, please don't endorse any alcohol. No DUIs please.' But yet, a beer sponsor is their biggest sponsor. Doug, how do you feel about that?"

Baldwin: "Like I said, sounds very hypocritical."

Sherman: "Very, very interesting. It's crazy. In the offseason you get to wear Neff beanies, you get to eat Campbell's soup. My girl [girlfriend Ashley Lillian Moss] was sick this week and we got some Campbell's soup in her. So kids, when you get sick, make sure you get some Campbell's soup."

Baldwin: "Speaking of health, how do you feel about the NFL making you play two games in five days?"

Sherman: "On my gosh, geez. I almost didn't realize that because they've been talking about players' safety so much. Two games in five days doesn't seem like you care about players' safety much. It's a little bit much for me. But Doug, you look pretty healthy to me. Looks like you've been eating good. What kind of sandwiches have you been having?"

Baldwin: "You know, I like to eat fresh, so I eat my Subway [the sandwich restaurant that makes his cutouts]. And I wash it down with a bottle of Martinelli's [apple juice and cider]."

Sherman: "Sounds like a great beverage. It's fun to use your time in the NFL for something you care about, right? Then you don't get fined $100,000. You don't get fined at all for this. This is how they want us to talk. This is what they want us to do. They want us to advertise, right, Doug?"

Baldwin: "Sounds about right to me."

Sherman: "Gotta make some money. Gotta not get fined. Any questions?"

Baldwin: "No. I don't think so."

Sherman and Baldwin walked off without answering questions. Sherman later apologized to reporters about it, but said they wanted to make their point.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It's funny but true. The NFL needs to relax on all these fines. There is a chance they will get fined for doing this^

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The NFL is slowly becoming a parody of itself. Goodell will go down as the worst commissioner in any sport ever......and somehow still increase the value of his business 20 fold.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
They're daring the league to fine them for this - knowing that Goodell would look so utterly stupid if he did. Its like the league is run by the Politburo or some other no sense of humour apparatchik's.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is pretty good. If you read the whole thing I think you'll like it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...fine-seattle-seahawks-teammate-marshawn-lynch
RENTON, Wash. -- Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman and receiver Doug Baldwin did a parody in front of reporters Tuesday, making a point of criticizing the NFL over fining teammateMarshawn Lynch $100,000 for not talking to the media.

Sherman and Baldwin's little comedy routine focused on what they view as the NFL's hypocritical policies over what players can and cannot say.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Tim BoothRichard Sherman performed a parody with Doug Baldwin, who crouched behind a cardboard cutout of himself, in order to criticize the NFL.

Sherman went to the lectern in the team's auditorium and stood next to a cardboard cutout of Baldwin, who was crouched behind it.

Sherman: "You know the other day, Marshawn Lynch got fined $100,000. Did you know that? They wouldn't have paid him $100,000 if he had talked [before the fine]. Doug, do you think they would have paid him?"

Baldwin: "No, they sure would not."

Sherman: "Geez, Louise. But you know who pays me a lot of money? Beats by Dre, the wonderful headphones I wear. But the league doesn't let me say anything about them. Doug, why is that?"

Baldwin: "I don't know. Sounds kind of hypocritical to me."

NFL policy states that players are not allowed to show or use items with non-NFL sponsor logos 90 minutes before or after games.

Sherman: "Yeah, it sounds a little bit hypocritical. It seems like we're in a league where they say, 'Players, please don't endorse any alcohol. No DUIs please.' But yet, a beer sponsor is their biggest sponsor. Doug, how do you feel about that?"

Baldwin: "Like I said, sounds very hypocritical."

Sherman: "Very, very interesting. It's crazy. In the offseason you get to wear Neff beanies, you get to eat Campbell's soup. My girl [girlfriend Ashley Lillian Moss] was sick this week and we got some Campbell's soup in her. So kids, when you get sick, make sure you get some Campbell's soup."

Baldwin: "Speaking of health, how do you feel about the NFL making you play two games in five days?"

Sherman: "On my gosh, geez. I almost didn't realize that because they've been talking about players' safety so much. Two games in five days doesn't seem like you care about players' safety much. It's a little bit much for me. But Doug, you look pretty healthy to me. Looks like you've been eating good. What kind of sandwiches have you been having?"

Baldwin: "You know, I like to eat fresh, so I eat my Subway [the sandwich restaurant that makes his cutouts]. And I wash it down with a bottle of Martinelli's [apple juice and cider]."

Sherman: "Sounds like a great beverage. It's fun to use your time in the NFL for something you care about, right? Then you don't get fined $100,000. You don't get fined at all for this. This is how they want us to talk. This is what they want us to do. They want us to advertise, right, Doug?"

Baldwin: "Sounds about right to me."

Sherman: "Gotta make some money. Gotta not get fined. Any questions?"

Baldwin: "No. I don't think so."

Sherman and Baldwin walked off without answering questions. Sherman later apologized to reporters about it, but said they wanted to make their point.

This is proof that just because a guy went to Stanford that it doesn't mean he is intelligent.

Per ESPN radio:

Sherman has no idea about how the NFL sponsorships work. But as a part of the NFL he should, especially as someone who has benefitted as much as he has. Bose has a deal with the NFL. 40% of that money goes to the players salaries as negotiated by the players association. These and other advertising dollars help to keep the salary cap up to where it is. So Sherman is getting money from Bose and at the same time is pimping their competitor. He is double dipping and if I was Bose I would be pissed.

Campbell's Soup has a deal with the NFL. The NFL chooses the player to be the spokesman. They chose Sherman. Sherman is making big money on those commercials thanks to the NFL selecting him as the guy and he is spitting in their face. I bet they regret that decision now.

I agree that if Lynch cannot bring himself to speak to the press then fining him that absurd amount is wrong. He has an emotional problem that needs help. The NFL should get him a speech trainer and start him off small and teach him to speak in front of people. Sherman could have just said that, or talked to Marshawn about asking the team or league for help.

Alan

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Elmgrovegnome noticing some mistakes:
This is proof that just because a guy went to Stanford that it doesn't mean he is intelligent.

Per ESPN radio:

Sherman has no idea about how the NFL sponsorships work. But as a part of the NFL he should, especially as someone who has benefitted as much as he has. Bose has a deal with the NFL. 40% of that money goes to the players salaries as negotiated by the players association. These and other advertising dollars help to keep the salary cap up to where it is. So Sherman is getting money from Bose and at the same time is pimping their competitor. He is double dipping and if I was Bose I would be pissed.

Campbell's Soup has a deal with the NFL. The NFL chooses the player to be the spokesman. They chose Sherman. Sherman is making big money on those commercials thanks to the NFL selecting him as the guy and he is spitting in their face. I bet they regret that decision now.

I agree that if Lynch cannot bring himself to speak to the press then fining him that absurd amount is wrong. He has an emotional problem that needs help. The NFL should get him a speech trainer and start him off small and teach him to speak in front of people. Sherman could have just said that, or talked to Marshawn about asking the team or league for help.
I quoted your whole reply because i was unable to determine where ESPN's comment ended and yours began. If in fact anything said after your opening sentence was from you.

I don't know if that "He has an emotional problem" comment is correct and neither does anyone else. They made some mistakes and obviously got some of the financial interconnection elements wrong but their overall point was a good one. Whether the guy is intelligent or deserved to graduate academically from Stanford or any other school is not the point. Most players rely upon either their agent of their paid financially advisors to handle deals with sponsors because it's all mostly lawyer speak and who really understands that? Even lawyers often have to go to court to determine what is really meant in a contract. Anyone and everyone misspeaks at times but if they got their main point across to me that's all I care about. He did.

I thought they did a great job with the cardboard cutout and semi-prepared script. After all, they're only football players.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Per ESPN radio:

"Sherman has no idea about how the NFL sponsorships work. But as a part of the NFL he should, especially as someone who has benefitted as much as he has. Bose has a deal with the NFL. 40% of that money goes to the players salaries as negotiated by the players association. These and other advertising dollars help to keep the salary cap up to where it is. So Sherman is getting money from Bose and at the same time is pimping their competitor. He is double dipping and if I was Bose I would be pissed.

Campbell's Soup has a deal with the NFL. The NFL chooses the player to be the spokesman. They chose Sherman. Sherman is making big money on those commercials thanks to the NFL selecting him as the guy"
.......and he is spitting in their face. I bet they regret that decision now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There I redid it. I have no edit tab for some reason. I can't link what was on ESPN but it was just on Mike and Mike. Golic and some other guy were explaining how it all works. I am not pretending to have known how the NFL sponsorship policies work, but in about 5 minutes of listening I now apparently understand more about it than Sherman does. Sherman will probably be dealt with sternly on this one. He crossed some lines and even if he was just trying to show solidarity for his teammate as someone who wrote in suggested, he crossed some lines.

The emotional problem for Lynch was suggested by Golic. The term was mine. When Lynch had to speak in front of reporters while at Cal he was ridiculed by some of them. It forced him into a shell when it comes to speaking in front of people, which he was never good at. If you are forced into a shell on any topic, then it is an emotional problem technically. Fear of speaking is a Fear....fear is an emotion. Speaking in front of people is not going to phycsically harm anyone so the fear is all in the head. Not too hard to understand.

(Guess what! I just found where the edit went)

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
@Elmgrovegnome
But they might not have had, as I explained earlier, that "5 minutes of other people explaining the connections" that you did and just because Golic said something doesn't make it true nor does it mean that in this particular instance, even if it was true, that it was the reason he didn't talk to the reporters.

Having said all that though, I still haven't been able to determine what your point is. Do you agree with the hypocrisy point they were trying to make, do you disagree or are you just making an observation about their lack of knowledge concerning the many sponsorship deals they both probably have?

Athos

Legend
Hate the Hags, but this was pure, true, comedy gold and a well deserved middle finger to Goodell.

It's exactly what I wish Fisher would do. Get a cardboard cut out of Quinn, then a plain cardboard cut out of a LT and go through all the BS about the non-holds on Quinn.

Or fuck, use dolls! Or shadow puppets! Or fucking marionettes and make it a song and dance about all the BS penalties.

The NFL is a fucking mockery imo. And, Rams troubles regardless, I'm about done with it in general. Parity doesn't really exist.

At least in baseball, penalties don't fucking exist.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Elmgrovegnome
But they might not have had, as I explained earlier, that "5 minutes of other people explaining the connections" that you did and just because Golic said something doesn't make it true nor does it mean that in this particular instance, even if it was true, that it was the reason he didn't talk to the reporters.

Having said all that though, I still haven't been able to determine what your point is. Do you agree with the hypocrisy point they were trying to make, do you disagree or are you just making an observation about their lack of knowledge concerning the many sponsorship deals they both probably have?

-Oh, now I understand what you are getting at. While I agree with hypocrisy of the NFL, it is what it is. If a player comes into the league he agrees to agree with league policy. That policy may change when there is a new CBA but that is years down the road.

-However I disagree with Sherman's way of getting the message across and also him throwing his own personal issues (Ear buds) into the ring when that is a very clear violation of NFL policy and he (Mr. Stanford) should know it. He broke the rules and is crying about it. Waaaa! and worse yet he is using his teammates unfortunate circumstances as a stage to air his own grievance, that is a bit despicable. If Sherman feels so strongly about the hypocrisy of the NFL policies on sponsorship, then he should have turned down the Chunky Soup gig. But we know he didn't. So Sherman is as big if not a bigger Hypocrite than the NFL and Goodell.

-I have heard the Lynch stuff before, all the way back to the draft and his time in Buffalo. Golics story is believable but I do also agree that everything that reporters say, is definitely to be taken with a grain of salt.

V3

Hall of Fame
Why's this hypocritical? Lynch didn't speak to the media. All players are supposed to talk if the media asks. He didn't so he got fined. You can argue the amount being too much but other than that, what's the issue here?

Alan

Legend
V3 with a request for clarification:
Why's this hypocritical? Lynch didn't speak to the media. All players are supposed to talk if the media asks. He didn't so he got fined. You can argue the amount being too much but other than that, what's the issue here?
Without going into a lot of detail I'll just say that it's the NFL that's being hypocritical not any of the players. The amount is immaterial to anything except for the fact that it's, as you alluded to, way to much.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Per ESPN radio:

I agree and if I was Goodell I would be coming down on Sherman with both feet right on his ungrateful, hypocritical neck. If I was the Chairman of Campbell's I wold remove him as spokesperson immediately. He's clearly not nearly well informed enough about a SIMPLE rule.

The fine for Lynch is wrong. But what Sherman did was immature and simply a publicity stunt. I hope he gets the shit whacked out of him for this stunt. When he finds out that his union agreed to the terms I wonder if he will demand his dues back?

By the way Shermans SAT scores were about 1000, which is average. He got into Stanford because he could play football, if he was not a football player he would not have been on their campus.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I saw the interview and thought their little act was idiotic and childish. I also have a real problem with the idea that these highly paid athletes would even suggest that they are not getting paid for interviews so why should they get fined for not being available for them. It was an idiotic stunt.

That being said, the flip side of this is that it shows what a joke the Good-ill era of the NFL is becoming. I just wish they would have come out in referee outfits and thrown flags at the reporters for stupid questions. I think there is a lot of disgust going on in the NFL these days. The fans, the players, the announcers, the coaches - they're all obviously not liking what is happening to this great sport.

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nt-on-richard-shermans-press-conference-skit/
League has no comment on Richard Sherman’s press conference skit
I’m still not quite sure what to make of Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman’s Tuesday stunt at his weekly press availability, which included a life-size cutout of receiver Doug Baldwin coupled with the real thing lurking under the podium to chime in from time to time.

The league apparently doesn’t know what to make of it either; the NFL has no comment on Sherman’s antics. However, despite Sherman’s gratuitous reference to the headphone company that sponsors him personally but not the NFL, don’t look for Sherman to be fined.

Fine or no fine, Sherman’s remarks lumbered clumsily through issues of hypocrisy and greed that entail far more nuance than he gave them. Perhaps more importantly, the attempted Abbott-and-Cardboard-Costello routine wasn’t funny.

The players benefit financially from the league’s deals with headphone manufacturers and beer companies. They also benefit financially from short-week football, a topic that Sherman awkwardly wedged into what was supposed to be a satirical commentary on the NFL’s media policy. Most importantly, the players get paid significant amounts of money in part because a strong relationship with the media — which serves as a conduit to the fans — has helped the NFL become the behemoth that it is.

For more on that, consider this recent item from Ed Sherman, to which NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tweeted a link on Tuesday night as a “bit of history on NFL media relations.”

Sherman became Seattle’s NFLPA representative earlier this year. If he has genuine issues with the media policy, the NFL’s sponsorship portfolio, and/or Thursday night football, Sherman now has a far more direct and meaningful way to agitate for change. If he simply prefers to give short-shrift to these issues while advancing a “look at me, I sometimes say provocative stuff” agenda, then mission accomplished, I suppose.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't buy it. Right now the NFL doesn't want to look vindictive by disciplining Sherman in public. But we all know that Goodell has a thin skin, or should I say a thin shield. I am sure Sherman will be addressed privately and none of us will know of it, just like none of us know exactly what was on those tapes.

The league does not want there image tarnished by anyone and if anyone thinks Sherman is an untouchable star, think again. He is just a DB. He is not Rodgers, Manning, or Brady. Nobody will miss him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It was IMO juvenile and the fact is Lynch was NOT fined $100,000 for not speaking to the media , he was fined $50,000 that was suspended with the proviso he not do it again last year. IOW second offense

He was then fined for each instance this year. I don't like the rule that much but it is the rule and these guys agree to them going in so a breech of contract is just that and the penalties apply.

Gotta wonder how Paul Allen would deal with Microsoft employees who pulled shit like that

Alan

Legend
It's nice to have a friend who'll go in with you on something like this regardless of the consequences. Just a thought.

Alan

Legend
They deserve more nuance? He expects them to inject nuance into a little skit? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Just another thought.

I know I should have put this with the other thought but I don't get that many so...