Sean McVay criticized himself

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Um.... Oh MY! Nice pull coach. And apparently, she coordinated everything for their move from VA to LA so Sean could stay in LA and get busy working on the Rams - Even sold his condo so he wouldn't have to go back at all. She sounds like a keeper.
Sean_McVay_girlfriend_Veronika_Khomyn-pic.jpg

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I didn't mind the run call in the 4th Qtr. Yeah it was conservative, but it was safe and smart. The clock keeps running and there is less of a risk of turning it over. Yeah a TD wins it, but a turn over makes it a 2 point game or worse.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He should be critical of himself, that was a game-losing 3rd and 4 call in that last drive.

He did go in the shell there a bit with that call. And Dallas knew he'd do it too, and at the time in the live chat I was like "oh crap that's gonna bite us in the @$$" because I was afraid Dallas would march down and get 7 and win the game.

It was the safe call. Gave us a 5 point lead and ensured that Dallas would need 7 to win. So not necessarily a dumb call, but it would have been nice there to see him dial it up.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
When I went back and watched the play I noticed if the CB didn’t blitz (which is rare, like suicide rare) then Gurley would have ran to the left side untouched to the end zone. It was a great call if not for Marinelli taking a huge guess and being correct.

yup just watched that play again and you're right. left was wide open he woulda at least got the first down and we coulda ran the clock out.

they brought the corner blitz on the 2nd and 16 before that when Austin gained 12 too

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
He should be critical of himself, that was a game-losing 3rd and 4 call in that last drive. He should have kept the ball in Goff's hands. They should have ended that game with a TD while simultaneously putting the dagger right between the Cowboys eyes, removing any glimpse of hope. And another thing, he needs to improve his red-zone play-calling. Aside from that he is doing a good job. I'm actually more excited to see Matt Lefleur play-calling than Sean McVay, whenever that happens.
I’ve definitely seen plays from him that I don’t care for, but overall I like his play calling. I still really liked the Sammy Watkins TD at the end of the 3rd quarter vs San Francisco. Cooper Kupp setting that screen was a very nice play to run and worked perfectly in that situation. I do think LaFleur will be a good offensive coordinator though.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yes he has called some bad plays, all coaches do, even the greats. It's gonna happen. He is light tears ahead of schotty, cigs and Boras. We are the highest scoring team in the league for fuck sake!!! Give the guy a bit of leeway!!!

This is the first time since the 1954 Giants that a team went from last ranked offense one year, to the top ranked the next. And people are complaining??? Come on....let the 31 year old grow and watch how we will be even better. Keep calm and trust in McBae!!!

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Red zone was the criticism he got last year in Wash. It was cool to hear him verbalize that he's on it. He knows exactly how the game of getting better is played. Hope we have this guy for many years to come.

Ram65

Legend
McVay's done a great job. I would have to rewatch the game to see why the Rams had to settle for 7 FGs. It does have to make you wonder.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Want your team to hold themselves accountable for their performance?
It has to start at the top.
I am willing to bet,players respect the hell out of a coach
who is comfortable and confident enough to say
"Hey,that's on me.I can do better.

Remember when he was first hired and we kept hearing
the word "special" being thrown around?
IMHO we are now witnessing.. "special"

It's nice that he cites specific instances of where he can improve rather than giving the generic, "We'll fix that" type responses.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Does anyone actually think what a coach says to the sports media has any meaning?

There is no way one set of jackals gives pieces of meat to another set of jackals HAHAHAHAHA.

This is a poisonous but symbiotic thing.

TexasRam

Legend
yup just watched that play again and you're right. left was wide open he woulda at least got the first down and we coulda ran the clock out.

they brought the corner blitz on the 2nd and 16 before that when Austin gained 12 too

Yea at least a first down. And depending on if the WR gets the block or Gurley makes a move maybe a TD.

Whitworth sealed his guy inside and the LBers were all in the trash heap. It was easy sailing and a genius play call if Marinelli didn't flip the script.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
It's nice that he cites specific instances of where he can improve rather than giving the generic, "We'll fix that" type responses.

And all of that speaks to how he communicates with his players.

I can imagine Fisher approach "Hey guys, the penalties are killing us. We've gotta fix that". Then never mentioned again until after the next weeks game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His humility is his greatest attribute.

When you create an environment where its valued to own your mistakes from the top, everyone follows suite. Instead of pointing fingers everyone owns their mistake and gets better. It breeds unity and mutual respect.

In a press conference he said the run would have worked but Marinelli did a great job by calling a CB blitz which stopped the play.

When I went back and watched the play I noticed if the CB didn’t blitz (which is rare, like suicide rare) then Gurley would have ran to the left side untouched to the end zone. It was a great call if not for Marinelli taking a huge guess and being correct.

It was one of those plays where you know what they expect so you do something else. But the other dude somehow guesses you are going off script.

The crazy thing is if Mcvay calls a pass, there is a wide open WR for an easy TD since the CB vacates on a blitz. Rams win 39-30.

Makes you realize how much is determined by play call vs players.

That's a great point. I kind of wish TGIII would have tried to juke the CB to get outside. But I understand that he didn't want to make Zuerlein's kick harder than necessary.