Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Mannion isn't a back up, he is a developmental QB. There is a difference. I don't think there was any expectation that Mannion would see the field this year. Remains to be seen whether he develops.
True. But you can expect in one hand and.... well - you know.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
On the flip side of that, I don't know if I'll be able to stomach all the "I'm smarter than Fisher, because I would have played him 4 weeks ago" comments if we actually win with him behind center. lol.
Yeah - I feel yuh there. Of course I'll be the guy saying I told you so that Mannion was better than many people gave him credit. I win either way really. I can use the woulda, coulda, shoulda argument if they play him or not. Even if they play him and he does no better, I can just point at the offensive coaching. I'm just flat out infallible here. :cool:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
My fear of playing Mannion too much with this OL is damaging him right out the gate. I'd hate to see him with "happy feet" and the "deer in the headlights" look before his career gets started.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My fear of playing Mannion too much with this OL is damaging him right out the gate. I'd hate to see him with "happy feet" and the "deer in the headlights" look before his career gets started.
Which is probably why we are unlikely to see much of him.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
That is possible but it has been shown that players just don't develop while sitting on the bench.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it's entirely possible the team doesn't know whether Mannion is ready...

He's had no snaps really in practice, but how hard has he been studying? Also, it's not like the guy came from Baylor. He played in a pro style offense and got a LOT of snaps. He even had a nice pre-look at what it will be like playing QB for the Rams during his senior season after Cooks left and that offense had issues all over the joint from the blocking to the WRs sucking.

I'm sure some will retort that studying one's playbook as a rookie doesn't prepare a QB for the NFL. And I agree. But just like that old adage about outrunning the bear... He doesn't have to play at a high level, he only has to play better than the other two. Run some heavy play action and have him throw it away if it's not there. What do we have to lose? More punts? Not sure if that's possible... :rolllaugh:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
That is possible but it has been shown that players just don't develop while sitting on the bench.

According to? Many QBs watch and learn before they start. More so in the old days when players weren't rushed. But to say that players don't develop on the bench is rediculous.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If he's got a handle on the playbook, sure.
If he doesn't, do you really wanna scale down this offense?

We would be taking it to the metric system then right.

That was what I got from that........ :)

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
According to? Many QBs watch and learn before they start. More so in the old days when players weren't rushed. But to say that players don't develop on the bench is rediculous.

They were just talking about this on TV today and several top QBs and coaches were reported to have been saying that exact thing.

So not so ridiculous after all.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Catch 22 - created entirely by Fisher. He isn't ready because he hasn't had snaps. He hasn't had snaps because he isn't ready.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Anyone know where I can see some video of Mannion playing today? Didn't watch the game thinking it would turn out exactly as it did.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were just talking about this on TV today and several top QBs and coaches were reported to have been saying that exact thing.

So not so ridiculous after all.

It's inaccurate at best.

nighttrain

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he's got a handle on the playbook, sure.
If he doesn't, do you really wanna scale down this offense?
How can you scale down an offense that goes 3 and out most of the time ?
train

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, if he's moved up to #2 QB, at least he should get reps in practice now. Not too much point in giving Foles practice reps I'd say.

I'd start Keenum if he's physically ready, and figure that if it's a blowout (either way - hah!) then I'd get Mannion some snaps, as @flv suggests.

They drafted Mannion with their 3rd - they have to have believed that he might become an ok or better starter, and should at least be an inexpensive decent #2. They need to start seeing that, without totally throwing him onto the field behind a makeshift OL.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I'm with you, but I shudder at the thought of Mannion starting week 16 in Seattle. Add to that the Seahawks will be going all out to secure a playoff spot and he could mess around and get killed.