Screw it, I'm going to Beer Town USA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

cracengl

Rookie
So the season is not exactly going down how I wanted and that's depressing. But Sunday is my 1 year anniversary and Friday I'm going to Asheville, NC, AKA Beer Town USA of the Southeast. So far I got a bed and breakfast in the mountains hooked up, reservations at a fancy restaurant, and tours of a chocolate factory and a walking tour that goes to 4 breweries lined up. It's probably a good thing that I'm doing the chocolate factory first because I'd hate to get a little tipsy from the beer tour and start insisting on meeting with Willy Wonka.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I've not been to Asheville but have always heard it's a unique and wonderful place. Let us know how it goes. Eventually I'll have to go down that way.

cracengl

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll let you know. I never realized until recently how popular it was for beer and good food. I also never realized that I only live 3 1/2 hours away. I would have made the trip sooner if I had realized it.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anywhere that is called Beer Town sounds good to me. Now all I need to find is "Big Titted up for it Wenches who like English men" town and i'll be doing alright.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'll let you know. I never realized until recently how popular it was for beer and good food. I also never realized that I only live 3 1/2 hours away. I would have made the trip sooner if I had realized it.
I didn't know about the Beer Town part but have heard about the music, demeanor and scenery in Asheville. I just checked and I'm only 4 hours away. I'll need to go there soon.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Some different creatures lurking around Asheville. Cool scenery and music. I had my youngest son there in a wilderness camp about a dozen years ago so I visited at least a couple times a month but never knew about the "Beer Town" label. How did that happen????:confused:

cracengl

Rookie
Anywhere that is called Beer Town sounds good to me. Now all I need to find is "Big Titted up for it Wenches who like English men" town and i'll be doing alright.

Having lived in the Midwest and the South, I think you have better odds in the South. Good luck in your pursuit.

cracengl

Rookie
Some different creatures lurking around Asheville. Cool scenery and music. I had my youngest son there in a wilderness camp about a dozen years ago so I visited at least a couple times a month but never knew about the "Beer Town" label. How did that happen????:confused:

I'm not 100% sure. The label has been in the past few years. However, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that North Carolina has drastically altered their alcohol laws to make it more brewer/pub friendly. They pretty much did away with ABV caps, allowed breweries to have on site tasting rooms, they allow you buy growlers of beer from the brewery (I think), etc. I think because of this, it has really attracted a lot of brewers, and chefs as well. I've been looking at the local restaurants and there are a crazy amount of places with those dishes that have 2 dozen ingredients in them that you've never even heard of--which is nice for me, but not so much for the wife whose diet consists of steak, potatoes, chocolate, and Dr. Pepper. So when you consider all of this, I can see why you'd mention the "different creatures." I've noticed the craft beer scene being taken over by the hipsters these days. I just like finding new beer--I don't need a curly mustache and skinny jeans to do that. But to each his own, I suppose.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Sounds like Austin Texas
I think I'll have to visit Asheville soon

We have some great brewers here in the Hill Country like 512, Austin Beerworks, Hops and Grain, Live Oak, Real Ale, Circle, Independence, Thirsty Planet, and that's just to name a few - there is also Jester King and Adelberts

Lots of German heritage around here and then you mix that in with Texans killing time, the hot weather,and it's a perfect storm for beer lovers

Come visit!!!! We need more Ram fans here especially after that loss to Dallas

cracengl

Rookie
Sounds like Austin Texas
I think I'll have to visit Asheville soon

We have some great brewers here in the Hill Country like 512, Austin Beerworks, Hops and Grain, Live Oak, Real Ale, Circle, Independence, Thirsty Planet, and that's just to name a few - there is also Jester King and Adelberts

Lots of German heritage around here and then you mix that in with Texans killing time, the hot weather,and it's a perfect storm for beer lovers

Come visit!!!! We need more Ram fans here especially after that loss to Dallas

I've thought of that. Austin sounds cool. And I've never heard of any of those breweries. I guess they don't make their way into Georgia or Tennessee.

cracengl

Rookie
I've not been to Asheville but have always heard it's a unique and wonderful place. Let us know how it goes. Eventually I'll have to go down that way.

Okay, so Asheville is awesome for anyone who wants to know. Well, it's awesome if you love beer and don't have a big hangup with Liberals. Check. You will see a few strange looking dudes; for instance, the guy who gave us a tour of the chocolate factory was a skinny white hippy kid with long hair tucked under one of those woven rasta hats. But yeah. Awesome time. I was hoping for Willie Wonka, but you can't have it all. Apparently this factory is one of maybe 3 in the world that does bean to bar chocolate. They have land in South America where they've taught the locals to grow/harvest/ferment the cacao beans and then ship them back to work with them in Asheville. Pretty cool stuff.

We also went on a brewery tour to 4 breweries. It was worth it. My wife is not a beer drinker, so I got all of her beer. Each brewery poured you roughly 6-8 oz. per glass. The first gave out 4 pours and the next 3 gave 3 of all different varieties. So I was feeling pretty nice by the end of it. The most awesome thing about it is that they allow the breweries to function as glorified bars where they can serve their stuff directly to customers in their taprooms. No sampling, just straight up selling. It's awesome. No wonder there are something like 13 breweries there and the city is growing off the charts. That's how you bring it tax revenue.

And the food...freaking awesome. Pretty much every restaurant there uses locally sourced ingredients. So, if you've ever had farm fresh bacon or bought a side of beef, you know why that's a good thing. I'll be going back in the future. This place is a fat kid's delight.