Scenario: Rams acquire a veteran QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay so I have an interesting scenario that I've been pondering and I'm curious what you all think.

Let's say the Rams talk to the Bears or the Saints and they are able to acquire either Brees or Cutler for our 2nd round pick. I know some of you hate Cutler. But let's put that aside and assume it happened. Either one. Doesn't change the scenario imo.

Assume that the top 3 QBs (Lynch, Goff, and Wentz) will be gone by #15.

What do you do after that? Unless you're a Mannion fan, we have to find a QB of the future still. Off the top of my head, here are a few options:
1. We trade up from #15 using our remaining 2nd and a future 2nd or 3rd round pick into the top 10 and choose the #3 QB.
2. We select Treadwell at #15 and then take a second tier QB on Day 2 (Prescott, Brissett, Cardale, etc.) to develop behind Cutler or Brees.
3. We trade down from #15 to the late first round and select Connor Cook or Christian Hackenberg.
4. We pick at #15 and don't take a QB at all.(for the Mannion fans)

I'm sure there are other options you all can come up with. I didn't post a poll because I want to hear people's rationale behind their choice. What are y'all's thoughts?

I'm torn. I'd be in favor of any of the first three options. The first option would be tough because we'd have so few picks this year but we'd have a talented QB to groom and the ability to contend this year. The second option would be nice but there's a strong chance that the QB we draft never develops into anything worthwhile. The third option would be great...but neither of those QBs are sure things.

I guess I'd say Option #3 (with us picking Cook) would be the top option for me narrowly edging out Option #2 (pick Treadwell and then pick Brissett or Cardale in the 3rd round).

What say you, ROD?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Okay so I have an interesting scenario that I've been pondering and I'm curious what you all think.

Let's say the Rams talk to the Bears or the Saints and they are able to acquire either Brees or Cutler for our 2nd round pick. I know some of you hate Cutler. But let's put that aside and assume it happened. Either one. Doesn't change the scenario imo.

What do you do after that? Unless you're a Mannion fan, we have to find a QB of the future still. Off the top of my head, here are a few options:
1. We trade up from #15 using our remaining 2nd and a future 2nd or 3rd round pick into the top 10 and choose the #3 QB.
2. We select Treadwell at #15 and then take a second tier QB on Day 2 (Prescott, Brissett, Cardale, etc.) to develop behind Cutler or Brees.
3. We trade down from #15 to the late first round and select Connor Cook or Christian Hackenberg.

I'm sure there are other options you all can come up with. I didn't post a poll because I want to hear people's rationale behind their choice. What are y'all's thoughts?

I'm torn. I'd be in favor of any of the first three options. The first option would be tough because we'd have so few picks this year but we'd have a talented QB to groom and the ability to contend this year. The second option would be nice but there's a strong chance that the QB we draft never develops into anything worthwhile. The third option would be great...but neither of those QBs are sure things.

I guess I'd say Option #3 (with us picking Cook) would be the top option for me narrowly edging out Option #2 (pick Treadwell and then pick Brissett or Cardale in the 3rd round).

What say you, ROD?
If we acquired a stop gap, and we are not sold on Mannion, then I think we would go with option #2. We'd be built to win now, and have a couple young guys to develop. Here's the problem with that scenario...our vet goes down, and we are left with two inexperienced guys.

I'd take Treadwell, because I think he's the best WR prospect, although I'd be OK with Boyd, Fuller, or Doctson, if we went in another direction. We'd still have the rest of our picks, so we could take a good DL in the 2nd, or our next stud LB, or TE.

OK, that being said, if it takes too much to go up, or if I could get away with a combination of a future pick, then I'd do that, if I felt there was a gap, or I really liked one of the top 3. I just don't think we'd give up the house to move up, but FA could change our destiny, as far as the draft goes.

On the political front, because we can't ignore that now this is a different market, a new market, and getting a new exciting QB certainly makes sense. I think we would like a guy who can scramble. A guy that could move the chains on a third and 5. Having a guy to do that, could make a major change in keeping drives alive, and the way defenses will play us. I see a couple top tier, and a few 2nd tier guys that would fit that bill.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

this depends on what we do in fa. lets say we cut cl jl and cook. that allows us to sign most everyone else.then we would have cook behind cutler or rivers for 2 or 3 years.i don't know what we got for the trade down but with the 2nd rounder take a mlb then all wr and te with the rest of the draft. at this stage of my ram fandom its all about maintaining faith not having it.this way we could keep cook on the bench for 2 or 3 year that lets me maintain faith for those years

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we got cutler we got to get him some weapons. If we were able to get cutler for a 2nd and Treadwell was at 15 that would be unreal. Heck if Boyd was available in 2nd round I'd grab him too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade down from 15. I think the three qbs and Treadwell will be gone by 15 so we'll have to move up. Move back take the bpa, likely CB or DE. Use the extra pick in the second on Brissett and add WR/TE help with the other 2nd and 3rd rounders we have or get.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
option #2 makes sense to me but pass on day 2 QB. Trading a 2nd for a Cutler/Brees and AGAIN trading up to select a QB does not make sense. If we trade for a Vet then the Vet is what we run with. If we trade up for a top 3 QB then top 3 QB is what we go with. right?

If we secured a Vet then we will need a top flight WR, right?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
option #2 makes sense to me but pass on day 2 QB. Trading a 2nd for a Cutler/Brees and AGAIN trading up to select a QB does not make sense. If we trade for a Vet then the Vet is what we run with. If we trade up for a top 3 QB then top 3 QB is what we go with. right?

If we secured a Vet then we will need a top flight WR, right?

Not necessarily. You give yourself time to develop the QB rather than throwing him to the wolves. Paxton Lynch would benefit from that. Wentz might too.

It would be nice to bring in a top flight WR but with our defense and running game, it isn't a necessity. But we do need some RELIABLE options at WR.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My take is no because we know what Cutler is, and it's not a great QB. He would be nothing more than a bandaid to save Fish's job and the Rams would be right back where they were, needing a QB. He is NOT the guy with the strength of personality to lift an offense that lacks confidence IMO. Brees would make this team a playoff unit for a limited duration, but again they would be right back where they were very soon.

IF they trade for a QB what I think is acceptable is someone who has shown a little bit of ability to play at this level but who also has upside. This is why the McCarron type option is what I think they'll be all over, but you never know with Fish and Snead. But either way if a trade is the route we go McCarron is my first choice provided they aren't asking for too much. Too much would be our first round pick, for the record. Not sure he's worth a second rounder, but I'm sure they'll want that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My take is no because we know what Cutler is, and it's not a great QB. He would be nothing more than a bandaid to save Fish's job and the Rams would be right back where they were, needing a QB. He is NOT the guy with the strength of personality to lift an offense that lacks confidence IMO. Brees would make this team a playoff unit for a limited duration, but again they would be right back where they were very soon.

IF they trade for a QB what I think is acceptable is someone who has shown a little bit of ability to play at this level but who also has upside. This is why the McCarron type option is what I think they'll be all over, but you never know with Fish and Snead. But either way if a trade is the route we go McCarron is my first choice provided they aren't asking for too much. Too much would be our first round pick, for the record. Not sure he's worth a second rounder, but I'm sure they'll want that.

I don't think McCarron has even Jay Cutler potential. So if you offer me Cutler or McCarron, it's an easy choice for me.

We know what Cutler is. That's a legitimate starting QB. And we desperately need that.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Tough one foe me.

I think I would go with Treadwill and hope we could get a few more years out of Brees.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
If we can trade a second for Cutler, I'm in favour of trading back for Cook, and hopefully recouping a second to do so. Then take the top WR and top TE in the second round. That would be pretty sweet. Cook, Henry, Boyd and Cutler? I'd be stoked about that. Give Cutler a couple years even if need be.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I still would trade up for one of the top 3 QBs and develop him. If you want Treadwell you will need to get into a top 7-8 picks imho. Top WR in a weak WR class, means he won't get out of the top 12 imho. I'm leaning towards TE over WR "currently" as I'm not enamoured w/ the projected 2nd rd WRs.
Tenn or SD need to trade down w/ us

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would Chicago trade Cutler?

Because they're rebuilding and have an opportunity to start over with a new QB rather than trying to hold on with a 32 year old QB getting paid big money when their team isn't exactly on the cusp of contending for a SB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have been thinking about this too. But if they take a vet like Brees, how many years do they think they are getting? If they can get 3 years+. Then great, but if it is less than that I keep the pick and take Connor Cook. I am not crazy about Cook, but he is clearly the 4th best QB in this draft and some may say third. So, I'd just take Cook. I think he could be as good as Kirk Cousins and he is pro ready.

Then get some receivers a MLB and a DE.

If they think they can get 4-5 years out of Brees then I don't think I'd take any of they later guys. Well maybe Prescott if he goes late enough. But then they need pass catchers with round 1 and 2 or 3. If they can sign a Marvin Jones or Benjamin that would take the pressure off but I worry that it may be tough to lure a receiver to this offense, unless he is just focused on living in LA. wish isn't the best reason always.

Forgot about Cutler. I would say the same with him but he definitely needs receivers. Remember the Rams had the lowest sack total. Brees and Cutler would excel behind a good line. Cook would be pretty good with it too.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
this depends on what we do in fa. lets say we cut cl jl and cook. that allows us to sign most everyone else.then we would have cook behind cutler or rivers for 2 or 3 years.i don't know what we got for the trade down but with the 2nd rounder take a mlb then all wr and te with the rest of the draft. at this stage of my ram fandom its all about maintaining faith not having it.this way we could keep cook on the bench for 2 or 3 year that lets me maintain faith for those years

I believe JT wrote in a chat that the Rams will be 50 million under the cap this year. I imagine signing their own won't be a big deal.

Not necessarily. You give yourself time to develop the QB rather than throwing him to the wolves. Paxton Lynch would benefit from that. Wentz might too.

But for how long? Say Brees has five good years in him. By then the rookies contract runs out and signs elsewhere. Plus using on a first on a guy would be contingent on how long you plan to train him. Likewise, using a second rounder on a veteran is also contingent on how long you plan for him to be around. If it is only one or two years, then I don't do it. That pick is too valuable. Unless of course the guy puts them in the Super bowl.

Why McCarron? I don't think he very good.

I still would trade up for one of the top 3 QBs and develop him. If you want Treadwell you will need to get into a top 7-8 picks imho. Top WR in a weak WR class, means he won't get out of the top 12 imho. I'm leaning towards TE over WR "currently" as I'm not enamoured w/ the projected 2nd rd WRs.
Tenn or SD need to trade down w/ us

I think you are right about Treadwell

Bradmac41

UDFA
Name
Brad

What say you, ROD?
As long as the Rams don't consider that scumbag Johnny Manziel. You'd think the experience with Lawrence Phillips would sour them on having thugs on the team. R.I.P. Lawrence, glad your sorry ass is now playing for Lucifer.

Bradmac41

UDFA
Name
Brad
I believe JT wrote in a chat that the Rams will be 50 million under the cap this year. I imagine signing their own won't be a big deal.

But for how long? Say Brees has five good years in him. By then the rookies contract runs out and signs elsewhere. Plus using on a first on a guy would be contingent on how long you plan to train him. Likewise, using a second rounder on a veteran is also contingent on how long you plan for him to be around. If it is only one or two years, then I don't do it. That pick is too valuable. Unless of course the guy puts them in the Super bowl.

Why McCarron? I don't think he very good.

I think you are right about Treadwell
How do we know about the Ram's receivers? They haven't had a real N.F.L. quarterback since Kurt Warner.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
How do we know about the Ram's receivers? They haven't had a real N.F.L. quarterback since Kurt Warner.

Mark Bulger was a real NFL QB, don't forget.

And our receivers are not good man. Except TA. But he's not really a receiver. He's TA.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
A healthy Brian Quick has showed promise but last year he deleted, not sure if he was injured still but he did not do much at all, Britt has showed flashes once keenum got under center. I think Foles threw everyone's timing off and made it hard to make plays, even cook stepped up once Keenum took over but we need someone to stretch the field and go over the top. Tavon is great across the field and creating yards after short catches but he does not go deep much at all. If we had a recieever to take the top of the defense that would allow Gurley and Austin to play even better.

Moderator's note: @Adi you're pretty new here so I'm guessing you just don't know the rules yet. We do not allow derogatory terms (e.g. - stinks, sucks) to be used in reference to anyone currently in the Rams organization. That includes players, coaches, front office, owners, etc. Please refer to "Terms and Conditions" at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by a moderator: