Sammy Watkins - Rams Top Choice?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tbux

Rookie
I'd say it's pretty hard to shut down any good WR that catches so many passes behind the line of scrimmage or within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage with little to no press coverage.

maybe because they know if they press him they will get burned deep!

tbux

Rookie
This is honestly my dream scenario for the draft! If we could make this happen, omg there's no reason why this offense shouldn't take off! (injuries aside). I personally think we should use our first 2 picks on offense, feel like our offense could use the talent way more then our defense.

could not agree more! why many want defense with the top two picks is baffling?? I can see a corner or safety with one of them- but be real- our O needs the most help- pretty obvious.

Memphis Ram

Legend
maybe because they know if they press him they will get burned deep!

Or maybe they played him that way because he struggled vs. press coverage. But, more likely I'd say it's because there's very little press coverage going on in college football nowadays no matter who is at WR.

Last edited:

tbux

Rookie
Or maybe they played him that way because he struggled vs. press coverage. But, more likely I'd say it's because there's very little press coverage going on in college football nowadays no matter who is at WR.

that's probably true- not much press in college. You concerned about his ability to beat press coverage? nothing from what I have seen tells me he will struggle with it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This. There aren't a lot of teams that press consistently. Alabama and Michigan State are two of the few.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Everytime I watch Evans I see the limited routes and the grabbing and pushing that he does on nearly every play. It makes me think he would be picked much too high at the top of round 1.

Niw if he insistently got separation without all of the contact then I would be interested.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I probably watched 15 of Evans' games and what concerns me a bit is that he is easy to cover unless plays breakdown and JM can scramble away.

Confirmation bias.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everytime I watch Evans I see the limited routes and the grabbing and pushing that he does on nearly every play. It makes me think he would be picked much too high at the top of round 1.

Niw if he insistently got separation without all of the contact then I would be interested.

I'd rather he get it with the contact. That's the point of being a big WR. Rather have a big WR that creates separation with physicality and strength than one that relies on quickness to do it. Because it's pretty rare to find a 6'5" guy with the coordination, hips, and feet to be quick enough to create separation.

If anything, seeing how physical, strong, and assertive Evans already is at his young age...it makes me want him more. You can work on route running(and you have to with almost any prospect)...you can't teach a guy to be mean and physical. Some guys have it, some don't.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which is why I like Darqueze Dennard at 13!

Eh. I'm not opposed but he's a little too reliant on it. I'd rather wait and grab a more scheme versatile guy. But Dennard is a great press CB and a good zone CB. But you have to utilize him in that way. Can't put him in off coverage or else he's going to struggle and the flags will be flying all day long.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd rather he get it with the contact. That's the point of being a big WR. Rather have a big WR that creates separation with physicality and strength than one that relies on quickness to do it. Because it's pretty rare to find a 6'5" guy with the coordination, hips, and feet to be quick enough to create separation.

If anything, seeing how physical, strong, and assertive Evans already is at his young age...it makes me want him more. You can work on route running(and you have to with almost any prospect)...you can't teach a guy to be mean and physical. Some guys have it, some don't.

Agreed. Can't expect a bigger physical WR to play like a smaller, quicker type and vice versa.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Evans is far too reliant on pushing off. Sure you want him to be physical but he also needs to be able to get open. He will get flagged all the time the way he shoves DBs. It actually looks like he uses the shove to propel himself away. That is not going to fly in the NFL.

I watched Martavius Bryant highlights and he is 6'-5" and he gets separation.

What did Snead say about Evans? He's a basketball player........

RamzFanz

Damnit
lol nah it's all good.

1 Clowney
2 Clowney
3 Clowney
4 Clowney
5 Clowney

I'm confused about your name A55VA6...

Is it pronounced ASSFAG or ASSVAG?

I just need clarity for my current video project.

I would feel terrible if I mispronounced it. :)

A55VA6

Legend
1 Clowney
2 Clowney
3 Clowney
4 Clowney
5 Clowney

I'm confused about your name A55VA6...

Is it pronounced ASSFAG or ASSVAG?

I just need clarity for my current video project.

I would feel terrible if I mispronounced it. :)

lol ASS-VAG

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am still thinking the Rams will select Watkins at #2 (Unless Clowney is available or if they trade down which is very, very possible) but can someone give me their opinions on just how big of a gap there is between Watkins and Mike Evans? I know the big difference is their size but other than that what are the big differences (Route Running, Hands, Quickness, etc) between these two players? Is there a chance the Rams could select Robinson with their #2 pick (or, possibly a short trade down) and then move up a few spots to get Evans (or, is Watkins that much better than Evans?)? I have to admit that after watching more video of Evans he does seem like with his size and hands (and, pretty good speed) he could be a real weapon for the Rams and Sam Bradford. I would still prefer Watkins but this might be a way for the Rams to get their OL (Robinson) and WR (Evans) without giving up too much.

lockdnram21

Legend
That's a really boring draft, bro. I'm on a sexy kick.

If the trades suck monkey jolly then im all over this.

Who is gonna panic if we pick Mathews? Long was playing just as good or better than Mathews could have most the season. Therefore, we're not really doing anything different.

I like Robinson but we have a ton of picks. Why not go OG round 2 then spend our late picks on a couple of beefy OT's that could make stud OG's. It's better use of the picks. Our rivals will cringe if we land Watkins or Clowney.

the point is know one knows when long is coming back and with his injury history you dont know how long he will be healthy. imo if we draft matthews or robinson long will be gone after this season

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
the point is know one knows when long is coming back and with his injury history you dont know how long he will be healthy. imo if we draft matthews or robinson long will be gone after this season

I doubt Long is gone if he comes back strong and our LG spot is filled by someone who who get pushed into his knees.

Our OL wasn't bad last year. Give Sam reasons for defenses to back off and they will. Watkins a very reasonable option.

I like Mathews and Robinson, but I really trust our OL coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Evans is far too reliant on pushing off. Sure you want him to be physical but he also needs to be able to get open. He will get flagged all the time the way he shoves DBs. It actually looks like he uses the shove to propel himself away. That is not going to fly in the NFL.

I watched Martavius Bryant highlights and he is 6'-5" and he gets separation.

What did Snead say about Evans? He's a basketball player........

Martavis Bryant is a pure speed guy...like Stephen Hill. He's not a good player.

They don't call push-offs in the NFL often. Remember Dez Bryant pushing Finnegan down in order to catch a TD? Anquan Boldin pushing off on nearly every play?

They let it go. As for the contention that he can't get open without being physical...not true. Plenty of examples to the contrary. But I'm fine with him getting open by over-powering DBs. At 6'5", there aren't many DBs in the NFL that will be able to stop him from doing it.

scifiman

With no trade #2:
1. Matthews
2. Robinson
3. Lewan
4. Watkins
5. Evans
With a trade down to 4-6 at 4-6:
1. Matthews
2. Robinson
3. Watkins
4. Evans
5. Donald
With a trade down to 8-10 at 8-10:
1. Matthews
2. Robinson
3. Lewan
4. Evans
5. Donald
If we are able to draft Matthews, Robinson or Lewan with our first pick and we don't trade down at #13:
1. Ha-Ha
2. Gilbert
3. Pryor
4. Dennard
5. Donald
If we are able to draft Matthews, Robinson or Lewan with our first pick and we do trade down at #13 at 14-20:
1. Ha-Ha
2. Gilbert
3. Pryor
4. Dennard
5. Beckham

I like your thinking on this. Mathews is my top pick on my board. The bloodlines alone say this guy will play for you for 15 years and be one of the best. He is a better pass blocker than Robinson and it is a passing league. If we can at 13 get any of those guys I would be happy. I actually prefer Gilbert for all the things he can do.