Sammy Missed in Buffalo...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

you can frachise tag any player you want, as long as you haven't done it to them 2 times previously or they have a no franchise tag clause in their contract.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I want them to re-sign Sammy but gotta be careful with his history of injury. Let's not get too crazy, I mean just like with Donald they have to keep an eye on the long term bottom line.

I love the guy but he does worry me a bit.

They have to resign him if he has a good season, or at least franchise tag him. They gave up a second. That excludes getting a great prospect like Gerald Everrett, or Chris Godwin. I was hoping someone like Simi Cox out of Indiana would be a possible replacement. If Watkins moves on he nets them a third round pick in 2019, not enough. They have to keep him.

I wouldn't mind seeing a top Cornerback in the first round and a Left Tackle prospect in the second.

No second round pick. Besides I think Whitworth looks fantastic. They can get 3-5 years out of him maybe.

Maybe Snead will be trying to move back in round one to get a second or extra third. It all depends on who is on the board.

I want a middle linebacker

Iowa's Nosey Newell looks like a good one.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah it's been pointed out that we don't have a second-rounder, got it.

We also don't have a backup tackle and yes Whitworth has looked fantastic but he's on a two-year contract.

We have one tackle who looks great but is old and won't last forever and another tackle that has looked pretty good but has also had some injury issues.
If they feel good about our backup tackles fine, if not we'll see one taken in the 3rd or 4th probably unless we want to pick up one in free agency.

If our tackles go down, our offense could go down.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I must have been tripping. I could have sworn I read something about Buffalo declining his 5th year option and that there was an agreement to not franchise him.
We've got to re-sign him. The rams are already losing Tru, won't get a 3rd round pick for each of them. Only 1 at best

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

you can frachise tag any player you want, as long as you haven't done it to them 2 times previously or they have a no franchise tag clause in their contract.

But you can only franchise them on their first rookie contract if they are a first-rounder....am I not correct?

And again, if Buffalo declined to franchise him, can we turn around and franchise him or was them not franchising him the end of story?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
But you can only franchise them on their first rookie contract if they are a first-rounder....am I not correct?

And again, if Buffalo declined to franchise him, can we turn around and franchise him or was them not franchising him the end of story?

I think that your way over thinking this. Unless his rookie contact says the team can't franchise him, it doesn't matter what the team says.

I'm pretty sure you can franchise any player, like the other guy said, as long as it doesn't violate the contract and it isn't too many times. Another team's verbal commitment not use a tag is irrelevant.

Besides, he probably didn't want to be tagged by buffalo, but wouldn't mind a tag by the Rams.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Another team's verbal commitment not to use a tag is irrelevant.
Well there's no way in heck that it's just a "verbal commitment".
I wouldn't be surprised if the franchise clause on a rookie contract didn't take up 5 pages of legalese.
Double spaced and initialed line by line.
I also don't think it has a whole lot to do with whether Watkins "wants" to be franchised.
That would be the team's decision as they worked out in the new players agreement contract.

Anywho...it's an interesting subject and may be that we'll get a definitive poster that knows for sure.

Because after that game last week I sure as hell would like to have him around for a couple years.