"Sam Bradford thinks Eagles might trade him"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL. He should've just redone his contract...

Yes. That way he'd have been worth even more in trade.

Once the Rams got offered Foles and a second for him, he would have been traded anyway. A smaller contract would have let the Rams get more, or at least would have reduced or eliminated the contingent pick.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
And if he does play with the Eagles next season he's gonna have a coach that is not patient or understanding with inconsistency.
I'd be more worried about the fans!
I really hope he ends up with the Browns just so Foles and the Rams can kick his but.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good bit of business by Philly, assuming they never wanted Foles they've effectively traded a 2nd and swapped a 4th for a 5th for a 1st round pick.
Even if they didn't really want Foles doesn't mean he was worthless and couldn't have brought back a better return. Good, young QBs are hard to come by and they didn't get much.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Even if they didn't really want Foles doesn't mean he was worthless and couldn't have brought back a better return. Good, young QBs are hard to come by and they didn't get much.

Suppose that's true, no one knows what anyone was offering, but worse case (they are picking #1 in 2016) they got the equivalent of pick #64 in this draft. Say they make the playoffs, and you discount future picks by a round (which seems to be convention) then they got the equivalent to the 27th pick in this draft, seems more than fair for a player they didn't want.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Actually...all they got was Bradford, the fifth round pick, and a conditional third or fourth, depending on Bradford's health. We fleeced their asses so hard.

I'm assuming that the rumours (that Snead confirmed if I remember correctly) of the Browns offering a 1st round pick are true, and that Bradford passing through the city of Philadelphia on his way to Cleveland hasn't changed that.

If those rumours are bull shit then yes the Rams came out on top.

If the rumour was true and the offer hasn't changed then it's possible for both teams to have come out as winners, Rams get the QB who they view as a starting QB (I don't but they didn't consult me :(:D), Eagles get the equivalent of a late 2nd/late 1st depending on how they do in 2015 and how you want to calculate it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Wouldn't it be interesting if he has a decent year, stays injury free then signs a reasonable deal with us

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The good thing about going to Cleveland is that he'll go to a team full of excuses for lack of success
Browns defense is scary good....They were beating the shit outta our first string physically....They'll be better this year...

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Who knows what kind of pressure Sam had to not restructure his contract with us from his agent(s), we don't know what happens behind closed doors; regardless I feel like he was a bit, for lack of a better word, selfish. If we were in that position, most of us would probably do the same because of the injury history and this is a rare opportunity to secure your life even if you don't play another down in the NFL (which I don't think he necessarily wanted, I think he wanted to play and win with us). Having said that, you'd think he was loaded enough and if he really cared about this team he would've taken a pay cut. I don't know how significant it would've been but it would've went along way with the team and fans, it just looks good on his part to do as such. But he didn't. So it's time to move on. I'm disappointed with what happened but it's time to move forward, and hopefully Nick Foles is the answer. I'm not betting on it but I think he's skilled and could do well with a balanced offense. This is a pivotal draft for this front office and coaching staff. We need guys who can step in and immediately make an impact.

Quite frankly, if Sam gets traded (again), I can't help but think he was a pawn in the Eagles' plans to acquire Mariota. It makes me wonder if they were ever okay with him being their QB. Only time will tell. Less than a week to go gentlemen.

RamBill

Legend
Trade chatter continues with Sam Bradford because Eagles have shown no real commitment to him, yet

Eagles still not showing real commitment to Bradford
Posted by Mike Florio on April 26, 2015, 9:24 AM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...till-not-showing-real-commitment-to-bradford/

After the Eagles surprisingly traded for quarterback Sam Bradford in March, coach Chip Kelly insisted that Bradford wasn’t a stepping stone toward getting up the board to reunite with Marcus Mariota. Since then, the Eagles have done nothing to take that possibility off the table.

As PFT reported on Wednesday, no meaningful contract talks have occurred between the Eagles and Bradford, who is due to make $12.985 million in 2015, the final year of his pre-wage-scale rookie deal. The Eagles would like to knock down the cap number, and Bradford would like a chance to re-establish himself. While money is a factor, security is, too; Bradford wants any new deal would to ensure that he won’t be shipped to the Browns or elsewhere, especially since a multi-year contract would make Bradford more valuable to a team that would acquire his rights for more than one season.

The absence of a true commitment to Bradford keeps the possibility of another trade in play. Recently, PFT laid out the pieces of a three-way deal that would put Bradford in Cleveland, Mariota (and possibly Johnny Manziel) in Philly, and multiple picks in the pocket of a team that trades out of the top five.

The Eagles possibly could get there by giving up Bradford, the 20th pick in 2015, a first-round pick in 2016, and maybe another pick or two. Whether that amounts to mortgaging the future isn’t known.

That said, why is a mortgage a bad thing? For most, it’s the only way to buy a house. For the Eagles, a mortgage for Mariota could not only buy a house but also eventually put a Lombardi Trophy in the case.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sure is a lot of interest in a QB that had no trade value.:rolleyes:

Let's take count.

Ummm, yep that about sums it up. 1 team wants him now. That is a lot of interest. The Browns happen to make bad decision after bad decision. They don't call the stadium the factory of sadness for nothing. From the way it sounds the team that just traded for Sam, doesnt really want him either.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Who knows what kind of pressure Sam had to not restructure his contract with us from his agent(s), we don't know what happens behind closed doors; regardless I feel like he was a bit, for lack of a better word, selfish. If we were in that position, most of us would probably do the same because of the injury history and this is a rare opportunity to secure your life even if you don't play another down in the NFL (which I don't think he necessarily wanted, I think he wanted to play and win with us). Having said that, you'd think he was loaded enough and if he really cared about this team he would've taken a pay cut. I don't know how significant it would've been but it would've went along way with the team and fans, it just looks good on his part to do as such. But he didn't. So it's time to move on. I'm disappointed with what happened but it's time to move forward, and hopefully Nick Foles is the answer. I'm not betting on it but I think he's skilled and could do well with a balanced offense. This is a pivotal draft for this front office and coaching staff. We need guys who can step in and immediately make an impact.

Quite frankly, if Sam gets traded (again), I can't help but think he was a pawn in the Eagles' plans to acquire Mariota. It makes me wonder if they were ever okay with him being their QB. Only time will tell. Less than a week to go gentlemen.

Thing is, there aren't any QBs who give money back. They may restructure, or push money around, but those are the guys in no danger of losing their job. They have commitment from the team. Obviously, for perfectly reasonable conditions, the Rams weren't going to do that.

I also can't say I would give money back. And based off of 40 years of human interaction, I'd say most people wouldn't either, despite what they may say.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's take count.

Ummm, yep that about sums it up. 1 team wants him now. That is a lot of interest. The Browns happen to make bad decision after bad decision. They don't call the stadium the factory of sadness for nothing. From the way it sounds the team that just traded for Sam, doesnt really want him either.
The way Kelly is running the team combined with Cleveland being the Factory of Sadness, its hard to use either of them as an appeal to a higher authority

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thing is, there aren't any QBs who give money back. They may restructure, or push money around, but those are the guys in no danger of losing their job. They have commitment from the team. Obviously, for perfectly reasonable conditions, the Rams weren't going to do that.

I also can't say I would give money back. And based off of 40 years of human interaction, I'd say most people wouldn't either, despite what they may say.

NFL players give back money - IF they have a realistic fear of being cut and getting less money from another team anyway.

Bradford knew there was enough interest in him that wasn't going to happen. So no money was given back. He might have been willing to push it around for future guarantees at most, so the total amount he could expect would be the same or greater.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Bradford finds himself in a strange predicament, doesn't he?

A former #1 overall still only 27 and quite wealthy.

If I were Sam Bradford (and assuming I wanted to continue my NFL career), I would NOT negotiate a new contract until after this season. Where is the upside in doing so for him?

If he remains in Philly and has a good year, he will be offered a juicy contract either there or by another team.

If he's traded by Philly to the Browns, he will be grateful to have the opportunity to play elsewhere in '16. Probably damned grateful. Lol.

I wish him well for the balance of his NFL career, except when he plays the Rams, of course.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Let's take count.

That makes at least two.
Sounds like there is more interest in Sam than there is in Johnny Football. Not that it means much after everyone got to see JF in action.