Saints release Jhari Evans-RG

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Don't know what Wiz is going to cost, but, I am guessing won't be that cheap. The question is, if Barnes could be had for $2.5M a year and Wiz costs $6M, is there that much of a difference in performance?

if theres money available sure, but not a priority. its really tough to tell who the rams should go after right now seeing how in-house free agents are currently the priority and will dictate how much money is left for other guys.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I'm hoping Saffold has a bounce back year. This off season will be the first time in a while he's had a significant amount of time to get stronger. It's impossible to even maintain upper body strength with injured shoulders.

fearsomefour

Legend
I say $3M because that is the money that would be freed up this year to use toward FAs and that is all I care about. My attitude may be different if I was signing the checks, but, the benefit to cutting him (putting $3M toward other guys) vs. keeping him is what needs to be considered.
He holds more value as a reserve guy because he can back up four OL spots. That said, watching every game last year, even playing injured he was better than Brown. If I was ranking our G's right now in order they would be Wichmann, Saffold, Reynolds, Brown. A lot can change in one offseason of course. Brown could come back healthy and tear it up....that is another consideration, Browns health.
He may very well be released and I get why if he is. In terms of value vs salary he is down my list of guys I would cut a ways, that is all I am saying.

fearsomefour

Legend
if theres money available sure, but not a priority. its really tough to tell who the rams should go after right now seeing how in-house free agents are currently the priority and will dictate how much money is left for other guys.
This is why I am sure Barnes will be resigned.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wisniewski signed a one year contract last season for $2.5 mil, shouldn't cost any more than $4.mil per for an extended contract, and from what I recall, his PFF grade was somewhere in the middle of all Centers, and just ahead of expensive free agent Alex Mack. Barnes was either dead last in PFF grading or right near it. jmo.
I think Wiz is still an upgrade over Barnes but not a massive one.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think Saffold will restructure. He's in the 3rd year of his deal now. Known as injury prone throughout the nfl, already got his money and knows he won't get paid big guaranteed money again.

I hope you are right, this is best case.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams have a veteran OG who remained healthy for all 16 games named Garrett Reynolds. Garrett took control over the last OL post Saffold started at & performed very well @ OLG. Garrett has spent most of his 7 NFL yrs as a RIGHT OG with some action as a ORT thrown in. Garrett is already signed & ready to go in 2016. I thought that Garrett was much better in his run blocking than Saffold was but Saffold only completed one game as a starter @ OLG.

Rams started rookie OG Cody Wichmann the last 7 games, most all of them @ RIGHT OG. I saw nothing but improvement as the season went on. Cody looks like a bargain steal coming from a 6th rd pick. The 6-5 320 plus pounder has a good future here @ ORG.

Rams also started rookie OG Jamon Brown for 5 games @ ORG post. Rams flip & flopped Brown from side to side in his rookie season hopefully Boudreau will keep Brown in one of the OG posts & just leave him there! Brown also has a very bright future.

Rams also have 4th rd rookie OL Andrew Donnal signed. Donnal started @ OLG & ORT as a rookie. Donnal had a series of issues due to lack of power & strength. Andrew however is known for being smart & technically very sound. A complete off season of Strength & Conditioning should bring a serious change in this major problem area of his game. I believe that Donnal will be a good reserve ORG/ORT for this Ram team in 2016.

I am also forecasting that we will see Darrell Williams getting a ton of left side action at both OLT & OLG post in training camp & pre season. Williams has some potential yet to be showcased!

I have listed Five Ram OG possibilities in 2016 so I have no ideal why I would desire to sign a used up high salary demanding ORG for this 2016 Ram team? Better used that cap cash t retain your center who has been a Ram since 2011 & started 16 games for us last season who's name is Tim Barnes.

As far as Saffold....I would prefer to just move on & hope that I can forget all the wasted seasons that Saffold remained injured & IR'd. There is nothing about Saffold I want here in 2016 unless we need him to beef up the OLT post.

Last edited:

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Rams have a veteran OG who remained healthy for all 16 games named Garrett Reynolds. Garrett took control over the last OL post Saffold started at & performed very well @ OLG. Garrett has spent most of his 7 NFL yrs as a RIGHT OG with some action as a ORT thrown in. Garrett is already signed & ready to go in 2016. I thought that Garrett was much better in his run blocking than Saffold was but Saffold only completed one game as a starter @ OLG.

Rams started rookie OG Cody Wichmann the last 7 games, most all of them @ RIGHT OG. I saw nothing but improvement as the season went on. Cody looks like a bargain steal coming from a 6th rd pick. The 6-5 320 plus pounder has a good future here @ ORG.

Rams also started rookie OG Jamon Brown for 5 games @ ORG post. Rams flip & flopped Brown from side to side in his rookie season hopefully Boudreau will keep Brown in one of the OG posts & just leave him there! Brown also has a very bright future.

Rams also have 4th rd rookie OL Andrew Donnal signed. Donnal started @ OLG & ORT as a rookie. Donnal had a series of issues due to lack of power & strength. Andrew however is known for being smart & technically very sound. A complete off season of Strength & Conditioning should bring a serious change in this major problem area of his game. I believe that Donnal will be a good reserve ORG/ORT for this Ram team in 2016.

I am also forecasting that we will see Darrell Williams getting a ton of left side action at both OLT & OLG post in training camp & pre season. Williams has some potential yet to be showcased!

I have listed Five Ram OG possibilities in 2016 so I have no ideal why I would desire to sign a used up high salary demanding ORG for this 2016 Ram team? Better used that cap cash t retain your center who has been a Ram since 2011 & started 16 games for us last season who's name is Tim Barnes.

As far as Saffold....I would prefer to just move on & hope that I can forget all the wasted seasons that Saffold remained injured & IR'd. There is nothing about Saffold I want here in 2016 unless we need him to beef up the OLT post.
I was on the "keep saffold" train. But your response has changed my mind. We don't need guards, we need to let these guys develop

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The Rams could have had Wisneiwski cheap last year. They didn't seem to have any interest.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams could have had Wisneiwski cheap last year. They didn't seem to have any interest.
That's true, and I believe it was a mistake then and would be a mistake to favor Barnes over Wiz again this next season. The guy is an iron man not missing a start since he began, and although he's no Mike Webster, he may be the best available on a cost to talent basis. I still look to draft Allen in the 4'th if he's their, but for a short term answer I believe Wiz far outclasses Barnes. jmo.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes, except at Center.
What depth do we have at T?
Williams last a couple of series....Battle didn't see the field enough (at all?) to show us anything. Reynolds may be ok at RT (I love him for inside depth) but I don't think he offers much at LT. Roger Saffold is our only proven depth at T.

fearsomefour

Legend

I love Reynolds inside....Wichmann looks good and our starting T's are set.
I saw nothing from Brown or Donnal that looked anything but worrisome. Brown was a big disappointment to me this past year. That said, he was a rookie and he has upside certainly.
Williams has some potential I agree. My reluctance to let Saffold go relates to the lack of any proven depth at all (excluding Reynolds) along the line.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
No sacks allowed for Rams 2nd round pick, Rob Havenstein. Give em time to gel and they'll be a helluva unit.