Rumor - Rams like McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Politely disagree on Dallas.
That offense ran on the big 3 of Aikmen, Irvin and Smith.
Novacheck was not a focal point of that offense. He was a fan favorite and great possession receiver for Aikmen tough.
It was also a well balanced offense. Aikmen never put up huge numbers, but they sure won a lot of games.

In SD. Gates talent was too much to ignore and Norv made him a focal point of his passing game.

Well, it depends on how you define it. Smith was the focal point, because it was a power running offense based on the Coryell system. But a quick Google search reveals that Novacek never caught fewer than 44 passes in his time with the Cowboys and was north of 60 on two separate occasions. He was a fairly integral part of that offense, whether you say he was a focal point or not.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well, it depends on how you define it. Smith was the focal point, because it was a power running offense based on the Coryell system. But a quick Google search reveals that Novacek never caught fewer than 44 passes in his time with the Cowboys and was north of 60 on two separate occasions. He was a fairly integral part of that offense, whether you say he was a focal point or not.
That's a lot more receptions than I thought.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard McVay would handle the offensive play calling if hired. Do you guys think he would be putting too much on his own plate?
Not if he's handing over his defense to a grizzled veteran who has plenty of HC experience himself
I think he can somewhat step away from the D if in fact he does land Wade Phillips

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Norv has always adjusted to his personell.
Look what he was doing in San Diego with Antonio Gates. In past offenses, TE were nothing more than a safety net. In SD, TE became a focal point.

I respectfully disagree. Chargers fans and Vikings fans were quite adamant about Norv's issues adjusting to his personnel. He has a system. He wants to run it his way. He's a lot like Martz in that regard. Brilliant mind but doesn't want to deviate from what he does best.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I respectfully disagree. Chargers fans and Vikings fans were quite adamant about Norv's issues adjusting to his personnel. He has a system. He wants to run it his way. He's a lot like Martz in that regard. Brilliant mind but doesn't want to deviate from what he does best.
@thirteen28 already put me in my place on this, so thanks for rubbing it in.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I think Wes Phillips the current Redskins TE coach and Wade's son is the more realistic option for Offensive Coordinator. It makes sense for a young offensive coach to get an experienced staff all around him in every role, but OC. IMO Norv doesn't make a lot of sense. Makes more sense to do what Jay Gruden did in Washington by hiring a young offensive mind in McVay while handling play calling duties for a year then handing the reigns over to the young guy after year one when you have built your offensive foundation.

Just having fun along the lines of the "what if" game here -- the Rams could decide to keep experienced RB Coach Skip Peete and experienced WR coach Ray Sherman.

Peete, Sherman, and Wes Phillips were all on Wade Phillips' Cowboys staff 2007-2010.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just having fun along the lines of the "what if" game here -- the Rams could decide to keep experienced RB Coach Skip Peete and experienced WR coach Ray Sherman.

Peete, Sherman, and Wes Phillips were all on Wade Phillips' Cowboys staff 2007-2010.

Sherman is gone already. Was fired last year.