Rumor - Rams like McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My friend who's a super Denver Fan is pissed about losing Wade Philips.

PISSED. He's super knowledgeable.

This is Sooo coming together....

It never occurred to me to put Philips into the Pattern-o-meter...

That isn't just a huge addition, it's a harmonic...it's an order of magnitude better...

Seriously, I'm almost dizzy thinking about all the possibilities.

What a difference a year makes...

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
as bad as we are, it seems like there's something to be excited about. move to la, new qb, new coach. lollll.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
It could work I guess, I'm not sure how Barron or Quinn would do in a 3-4 but honestly no idea so will leave that to Phillips to figure out if he comes here. We definitely have enough workable pieces if need be. And like you said he's not opposed to moving the base packages around so I'm sure a DC of his experience can make it work. Would definitely have to make LB'er one of the priorities in the offseason.
Yeah I agree, also I think Quinn would be as good in a 3-4 as Ware has been for Denver.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald isn't a DE and Brockers isn't a NT that's the problem with that
They both absolutely could fill those roles. Hell Brockers is bigger than Denvers NT 6'5" 326 lbs to Williams 6'3" 313 lbs. And Donald played some end in our 4-3 this year he can do the same for a Wade Phillips defense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thoughts on Forrest on the outside? Assuming he's healthy. He looked good in limited action off of the edge.
He did you're right I forgot about him. I'd imagine he would get a shot.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I hate the idea of switching to a 3-4. It creates holes that aren't there in a 4-3. It also would turn the strength of our team into averge.

Wade Phillips, though, could make the transition easier. He's the Williams of 3-4 imo.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Wade Phillips might be one of the most underrated DC's out there. Think how much the game has changed over the past decade. Then think two decades.

1989 -- Phillips had the #1 defense in points allowed and #3 in yards allowed (go ahead and forget that nasty last game for a second).

1999 -- Phillips had the #2 defense in points and #1 in yards allowed.

2015 -- Phillips had the #4 defense in points and #1 in yards allowed (go ahead and remember the last game this time).

The dude's been a good DC for a long time. He seems to have evolved with the game.

Also, Wade runs a one-gap scheme, and it's definitely not static:

"The variations, of which Phillips has plenty and is known to utilize depending on his personnel, are seen most with the outside linebackers. This year he has two elite ones (Von Miller and Ware) and possibly a third (rookie Shane Ray).

Phillips has been toying with three-outside linebacker sets. He has been moving Ware and Miller up to the line occasionally. And he’s letting them do what they do best.

'We rush them a lot,' Phillips said, grinning slyly. 'If they can rush the passer, we let them rush.'

Allow Ware to expound. 'In the 3-4, you have five linemen on the front end and only two linebackers,' he said. 'It’s a one-gap scheme. My job is now I can be a lot more aggressive on the outside, set the edge on the outside and make sure everything is funneled to the guys in the middle. It’s like (having) one responsibility.'”
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/02/0...cos-3-4-defense-and-one-gap-equals-dominance/

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Nice, that definitely opens it up. If Phillips wants to keep coaching it'd be a welcome move. Main question would be does he convert the Rams into a 3-4 or works with what he's got?

Just to be purely speculative because I'm bored what would a 3-4 look like with our current personnel? I could see the d-line being ok. Brockers could probably be an ok tackle in a 3-4... might ask him to bulk up a little more. Donald can do anything so not worried about him making a switch to DE and Hayes/Westbrook has the frame to be a DE in a 3-4 if necessary. The linebackers would be the obvious issue. Barron would immediately have no place on the defense unless they moved him back to more of a safety again. Ogeltree would be better back at OLB. Forrest could be serviceable. In the end though we'd need at least two starting linebackers added (especially in the middle). Then there's the question of what to do with Quinn who couldn't be a DE in a 3-4. Could try and convert him to an OLB/tweener though. Snead would have to earn his paycheck in the offseason.

IMO Rams aren't a terrible fit for a 3-4 because alot of those traditional 3-4 concepts don't exist today. Edge rushers rush and you don't need two thumpers in the middle. 3-4 teams play with alot of 4-3 looks to get their best pass rushers on the field. Thats how the Broncos had Miller, Ware, Wolfe, and Jackson on the field at the same time. Look at the Cardinals Minter and Deone Buchannon almost identical in size and roles to Tree and Barron and still a top 5 defense playing in a 3-4.

Brockers is 6'5 325 He would be a great NT doesn't need to bulk up at all. Already does alot of holding up multiple blockers.

Phillips will salivate over having a JJ Watt like Talent again in Donald and Easley/Hayes could hold down the other end.

I've said it for a while Quinn needs to moved around more and playing in a 3-4 as a rush end, would let him just do that and exploit match ups. The big question would be who fills the other rush end spot.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I've heard Wade Phillips's 3-4 is really a 4-3 Under and would fit our players.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Yeah, look at what Ware did to see what Quinn would do...

If anything, Wade's 3-4 has some elements of Fritz Shurmer's 5-2 Eagle.

Well, at least they have commonalities if not elements...

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Ima be so sad if we get McVay but no Wade. It's almost to good to be true that we'd get them together.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Let's just get this done tomorrow and not on Friday the 13th..no bad omens please :death:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Let's just get this done tomorrow and not on Friday the 13th..no bad omens please :death:

Actually, that's been a lucky day for me... (now, where did I put that hockey mask...)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was a solution on another site we came up with as a possibility.

DE: Donald
NT: Brockers
DE: Easley/Hayes

OLB: Quinn
MLB: Tree
MLB: Free agent/ draft pick
OLB: Barron

Bring in a thumper/true MLB next to Barron and a big NT to back up Brockers. We also know Wade is smart and flexible and his Denver D often utilized a 4-3 base. I have confidence he could make it work.

Wade as mentioned above adjusts his scheme to the personnel. He'll need an interior LB added to the roster, due to our lack of linebackers and the way his system uses them, but the good thing is they are not the hardest thing to find. And a CB definitely needs to be added in case Gaines doesn't come back from that injury in year two.

Defensive improvement will have to count on Quinn though. Rams are not in a position to replace him, they gotta try to make it work but there's a good chance Phillips will get the most out of him. Either way adding Phillips is a huge win for us man. Enormous. I pray Demoff doesn't over think this.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hearing Chris Cooley on McVay sold me on the guy.

That's my fear. Gruden is the only one I can think of who had good success with his first team as a young coach but immediately got shipped off to Tampa by Al Davis because, well, it's Al Davis. Mike Tomlin had success but he had Dick LeBeau to lean on and an already made Ben Roethlisberger to lead his offense.

Jon Gruden
Mike Tomlin
John Madden
Bill Cowher

Are the guys off the top of my head who had success as young HCs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald isn't a DE and Brockers isn't a NT that's the problem with that

You can use a 3-4 DE as a 3-Technique. Many teams do it. Wade Phillips has done it in the past. But Donald could definitely play a 5-Tech LDE role and be quite awesome at it.

My expectation is that Brockers would be a 5-Technique LDE in base sets. Wade seems to like having a penetrating NT. But who knows. He's always molded his defense to what he has.

Keep in mind that guys like Bruce Smith and J.J. Watt put up awesome production as 3-4 DEs in Wade's scheme.