Rookie OT Isaiah Battle is Officially a Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm sure he is going to take up a roster spot on the 53. I highly doubt the Rams risk putting him on the practice squad and there is no red shirt program in the NFL. I was confused by the whole red shirt idea. I suppose that means he likely won't dress for any games this season. If Wichmann is on the PUP list, that may change his status but I think it's a given he takes one of the 53 spots.
That was what I was thinking but the "redshirt" talk made me think there was some obscure roster rule that allowed a team a roster exemption for a supplemental pick since it as if we picked him in next year's draft in the 5th. I thought maybe if he didn't play in any type of game this year, something would apply. But you are probably right that he'll count against the 53 this year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still think that unless the Rams think he might be ready later in the year, he'll get IRed for some minor injury - keeping in mind that it's virtually impossible NOT to have minor injuries in the NFL.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I still think that unless the Rams think he might be ready later in the year, he'll get IRed for some minor injury - keeping in mind that it's virtually impossible NOT to have minor injuries in the NFL.

This was my understanding of what Snead said about 2015 effectively being the equivalent of his senior year at college meaning he wouldn't get game time and, presumably, wouldn't take a spot on the roster.

But, now that I think about it, if he's IR'd does that mean he can't practice with the rest of the team? Would he be limited to only conditioning type work on his own with a trainer? If so, it would seem like a waste of a year and putting him on the practice squad might be risky as there might have been other teams picking lower than us in the supp. draft that would've taken him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It would be nice if they showed him with his jersey because right now does anyone know what number he will wear?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Where's the Wichmann PUP story at?
I had to dig around & look for it myself Warner4Prez.
Wichmann being put on the PUP list the same day battle signs? Maybe Battle just went ahead on the depth chart.
Doesn't look like it, Cody is more of a OLG/ORG/ORT candidate where Battle looks like a pure OLT or just maybe a swing OT.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ef1d9e48-4e60-578f-bb8d-38276a7a07e2.html
Rookie offensive guard Cory Wichmann, a sixth-round pick from Fresno State, was placed on the physically unable to perform list Monday, meaning he won’t begin training camp practicing with the team. He’s still recovering from a leg injury suffered last month during OTAs.
Can I say this one more time...Imagine (especially after my secret crush Wichmann was placed on PUP today)...IMAGINE, this guy & La'el Collins..behind Jamon Brown & Rob Havenstein!!!!!!!!!....Now, I know, it's over, but it's still cool to dream right?!?

At first this looks like a setback for our injured drafted 6th rder Wichmann..but not so fast...Rams have a bunch of inexperienced interior OL'ers going at it in TC & preseason. Yep it's really going to be hard to put up a decent fight for a chance to earn a spot on the 10 master spots on the OL....when you have missed the entire OTA's & now missing more initial beginning weeks of TC plus coming off an injury.

Boudreau is going to have his hand full with all these inexperienced rookies & first yr players. Boudreau will be looking for Ol'ers who know the plays & how to block @ the NFL top technical level.

Cody Wichmann, who is now declared unable to start training camp will have the ability to sit out until the Ram medical staff provides clearance on him. Once Cody is medically cleared, he will be allowed to practice immediately. But that's a IF right now. Cody might become eligible for the Reserve/PUP at the end of training camp. Once Cody practices during the Rams training camp, all PUP list options are off the table.

Best I can figure this out & its foggy at best .....with Cody Wichmann, who now will start on the Active/PUP list and if he isn't medically cleared by the end of the preseason, the Rams may transfer this Active/PUP player to the Reserve/PUP. Cody Wichmann will be prevented from playing & practicing during the first six weeks of the Rams season.

Now said the above to get here what may work to Cody's positive in this event being on the Reserve PUP advantageous is that any player on the Reserve PUP list does not count against the 53-man Ram roster.

If Cody isn't activated after the sixth week, the Rams Org. has a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to: 1.) place Cody on injured reserve; 2.) release Cody; or 3.) or get Cody back to practice.

If this were to occur as soon as Cody returns to practice, the team has another three-week window to add Cody back to the Rams 53-man roster, or place them on the Injured Reserve list.

To summarize all this big IF the dust & dirt of the TC & pre season OL positional battles will be all gone & seeing Cody will be much clearer.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They are going to "red shirt" Battle this year, no?

Guess the Battle Plan is to match OLT Battle up with RDE Robert Quinn as much as possible. By the end of the pre season & final cuts.....Battle's injured mind will be diagnosed with a Brain (Quinn) Cloud & Battle's neck will need 6 months of therapy on the IR to be UN swivel-led.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm betting Battle will dress and practice and in pre season games will be on the field in the 4th qtr.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I guess he might end up being our swing tackle later on after he picks up the offense.

I agree would appear to be the plan...Snead drafted five OL'ers this off season but other than the 6-7 290 pound Battle, the only other rookie who looks the possible part as a reserve Swing OT would be the 6-6 1/2- 313 pounder Andrew Donnal. Battle sure seems terribly light @ the moment to play ORT in today's NFL. Battle right now might be able to do some good work @ Left OT but lining up @ ORT @ 290 would be real ugly.

The ideal that the Rams hold onto Brandon Washington as their 2015 swing OT (Washington was 1st team OLT in OTA's) would be very depressing:unsure:.

Bottom line here its sure nice to have all this competition finally for a young healthy swing OT(y). Its been lacking:huh: since Wayne Hunter was released. I also bet that Rodger Saffold has been politicking:coach: to the Ram Org. to find get around & get serious about a swing OT so he could remain @ his starting post for awhile.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The ideal that the Rams hold onto Brandon Washington as their 2015 swing OT (Washington was 1st team OLT in OTA's) would be very depressing:unsure:.
No need to get depressed Boni.....Washington will be one of the first cuts....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like the way Battle talks. He sounds like he has he head on squarely and has the right mind set! I think he'll make his team, and Daughter proud of the way he plays!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I agree would appear to be the plan...Snead drafted five OL'ers this off season but other than the 6-7 290 pound Battle, the only other rookie who looks the possible part as a reserve Swing OT would be the 6-6 1/2- 313 pounder Andrew Donnal. Battle sure seems terribly light @ the moment to play ORT in today's NFL. Battle right now might be able to do some good work @ Left OT but lining up @ ORT @ 290 would be real ugly.

Bottom line here its sure nice to have all this competition finally for a young healthy swing OT(y). Its been lacking:huh: since Wayne Hunter was released. I also bet that Rodger Saffold has been politicking:coach: to the Ram Org. to find get around & get serious about a swing OT so he could remain @ his starting post for awhile.
Just want to chime in. If he ends up the swing, would be ideal, we need that badly. I watched his interview, and they roomed him with a good guy. Smart of the Rams, and also, Battle being a daddy, may give him a more mature stance, as a man, and what he needs to do to be a good man. On a side note, how cute is Dani? I like the infectious attitude of hers, and she asks good questions.