ROD (and reel) Fishing Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
'Sup Ram fans! I know we have some active and avid fishermen out there and I'm jonesing for fishing action as the ice has finally melted and the water way up North here is finally warming up to spawning temps.

Let's see if we can have a thread dedicated to the finer things in life, the pursuit of fish (and hopefully a good buzz while doing it).

I'll be cruising Minnesota waters soon in search of bass. Just bought some new gear this year too, I can't wait! I'll try and keep this bad boy updated with pics and such, you do the same. Saltwater freshwater, who cares?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The temperature here has already been in the high 80's and even in the 90's. The thing is,,, the winds have been blowing like a bitch (especially on the weekends), so the seas have been rough. I wanted to go out and drag some hoo and catch some dolphin on Saturday... but I wasn't willing to fight 5 foot seas all day to do it. We have to run out 50 miles just to get to the Gulf Stream where we are. In my younger days I probably would have gone anyway.... but nowadays I don't like to work that hard. Plus,,, beers and cocktails easily spill in those kinda seas.

I may get out there in the next few weeks if the seas lay down. We'll see. If not... I'll be down in the Keys for 16 days starting in the middle of June. We'll be fishing EVERY SINGLE DAY. I should be able to contribute some cool pics then.

bnw

Pro Bowler
This could be a really cool thread. I'm looking forward to it and I really hope I can contribute to it!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This could be a really cool thread. I'm looking forward to it and I really hope I can contribute to it!

If you look through some of the threads here in off topic... you will find more than 1 started by me in the past. Fishing pics may have been the title of 1 or 2. There's even one (maybe in the Ram forum) with pics of me and my family were we took Warren Sapp out fishing last year... some cool fish pics in that one too.

Let me know if you can't find em... but it should be pretty easy to locate them with the search function.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I went to this park with a couple of pals to fish in this lake. 2 hours passes by and none of us have even had a nibble. Next thing the parky comes over to us and says the lake was drained two weeks previous and all the fish removed. That was the end of my fishing career.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
The bass spawn is pretty much over here in SoCal, but I went to San Vicente Lake yesterday and pulled out about 15. Had a five pounder in the mix, not bad. Senkos, frogs, and dropshot did the trick.

~lyser

Rookie
Here in upstate New York, trout season is upon us. Good thing too, I was about to go out in a blaze of murder-suicide headlines if the sun didn't start making an appearance. Now that we are fully into spring and the water is clearing a bit, the trout are biting. Love fishing - after I have done all your drugs and fucked all your holes, catching those scaly bastards is one of the only pleasures left in life.

~lyser

Rookie
Absolutely crushed 'em today on my lunch hour (ok, hour and a half). 7 or 8 bows, couple nice size ones. No huge ones tho. All with the humble kernel of corn.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Went on the 1 1/2 day boat out of 22nd st Landing in San Pedro (LA) got 9 yellowtail, 3 Calico bass,and 4 Sculpin. All going on the smoker this weekend.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Went on the 1 1/2 day boat out of 22nd st Landing in San Pedro (LA) got 9 yellowtail, 3 Calico bass,and 4 Sculpin. All going on the smoker this weekend.

What's a yellowtail out there?

Down here a yellowtail is a snapper. One of the finest eating fish ever.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yellowtail is a smaller variety of tuna, close kin to yellowfin and Bluefin. up to 80lbs, but mostly 5 to 40 around here. they come up from mexico when the water warms up a bit, when they start appearing, the yellowfin are not far behind.
pound for pound one of the best fighting fish 20 pounder makes you think you goat a 100pounder. lots of fun to catch and great eating!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yellowtail is a smaller variety of tuna, close kin to yellowfin and Bluefin. up to 80lbs, but mostly 5 to 40 around here. they come up from mexico when the water warms up a bit, when they start appearing, the yellowfin are not far behind.
pound for pound one of the best fighting fish 20 pounder makes you think you goat a 100pounder. lots of fun to catch and great eating!

OK

We catch yellowfin tuna here. You have to go to the other side of the Gulf Stream to find them though. We usually only target them when we go over to the Bahamas... we can catch them within sight of land over there (Northern Abacos). Makes for a much more enjoyable time. Catching yellowfin tuna is a real treat though. We always carry wasabi and soy sauce on the boat anyway... but the yellowfin chilled down on ice that was caught the same day that you eat it is heaven.

You're right about the fight from tuna. They make me laugh when you get em in the boat and their body is still in full swim mode. For the bigger tuna,,, we'll sometimes have to leave the road in the road holder in order to fight the strong sob's. We always try to get em in as soon as possible before the Tax Man (sharks) can get em.

If the tunas are small... we call those footballs. Hahaha

I'll be catching some blackfin tuna down in the Keys in mid June. There's a great spot called The Marathon Hump (only about 30 miles out) that holds them all the time. They are usually "footballs" as far as size. They taste damn good though. Not AS good as yellowfin... but close. We catch these with deep jigs.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Think Amberjack for Yellowtail. Yellowfin is a tuna.

I know the fish you guys are talking about now. We call those yellowjacks.

Down here... we call amberjacks Reef Donkeys.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
yellowtail and Amberjack are two different species of Tuna, though much alike. Other close kin are Skipjack and Albacore and Bonita. There quite a few species of tuna. All of them are great fighting fish. Some are not fit to eat (Bonita and Skipjack are real oily and very strong fishy tasteing).

Bigeye tuna and Mahi Mahi are deepwater tuna and great eating if you can find them.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Plus,,, beers and cocktails easily spill in those kinda seas.

This is reason to be safe and avoid those kind of associated risks.

What's a yellowtail out there?

Down here a yellowtail is a snapper. One of the finest eating fish ever.

You need to have fresh walleye.......it is up there with the finest ever.

Maybe you should take this city boy out to sea and catch some good food.

I'll help as much as possible as long as I don't risk my weekly manicure OK.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In the process of moving but plan to get out to the many lakes ando streams around Reno ASAP.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Go west 503 to the east slope of the Sierra's by Mono lake, great fly fishing for rainbow and cutthroat trout.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
yellowtail and Amberjack are two different species of Tuna, though much alike. Other close kin are Skipjack and Albacore and Bonita. There quite a few species of tuna. All of them are great fighting fish. Some are not fit to eat (Bonita and Skipjack are real oily and very strong fishy tasteing).

Bigeye tuna and Mahi Mahi are deepwater tuna and great eating if you can find them.

Mahi Mahi is the Hawaiian name for the fish known as Dolphin... or in South America, Dorado. It has no relation to tuna though. They are fish that live in the top of the water column. They give themselves away along weed lines floating on the surface. Certain birds give them away too... but they are always on the surface. Big bulls will hang underneath the cows and peanuts... but they are on top.

Something cool for fisherman catching dolphin... when you are in a group of them and you have one hooked up,,, leave that fish in the water on the line until you have another one hooked up.... you'll catch every fish in the group if you do this. They will not leave a fish that seems to be eating.

They are not the smartest... the Bulls are smarter.... but dolphin are basically dumbasses for the most part. Fun to catch though... and even better to eat.