Robinson to RT and Havenstein to RG?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
GRob physically is NOT slow anywhere on his body. I would bet GRob has faster hand placement, faster feet faster setup faster everything than the the well seasoned LT Andrew Whitworth. With GRob the issues are #1-Brain farts #2- Brain cloud miscommunications issues #3- Lack of mental preparedness before a game....that has made him a super weak link @ LT.

Best to keep GRob @ OT not OG on the right side where GRob will see a little less of those super lightning twitchy quick & fast edge rushers crashing in from the blind side of Goff.When GRob has a brain fart this season Jared Goff will be able to see it a lot sooner & just may be fast enough to overcome those GRob's farts. I would also plan to let Rob Havenstein get dual work @ both RG & RT posts in TC & pre season. If Kromer see's that GRob has not fully prepared then Havenstein should get the start. Simple as that.

Kromer has Saffold, Brown, Donnal, Wichmann & Arkin all available to play OG no reason to force Havenstein out of RT starting contention if he is physically the same as in 2015.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
GRob physically is NOT slow anywhere on his body. I would bet GRob has faster hand placement, faster feet faster setup ....

Kromer has Saffold, Brown, Donnal, Wichmann & Arkin all available to play OG no reason to force Havenstein out of RT starting contention if he is physically the same as in 2015.
Physically faster and athletically inclined are not the problems with Robinson.
That is why he tested so well at the combine.
The problem, (other than the brain farts that you mentioned) is his reaction time.
Sing it, processing it and then doing it seem to be really slow.
He looks slow to get out of his stance sometimes, he looks slow to bring his hands up and his feet are slow to get into position.
By then, often times, the defensive end is already by him.
All I've ever seen when I look at Robinson is a Guard prospect.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Mr Robinson may be able to outperform the 2016 version of Havenstien at RT.

However, my money would be on the 2015 edition of Havenstein sending Mr R to a well deserved seat on the bench.

I wonder which edition of Havenstein we will see in 2017.

In any event, nice to see some decent depth at the crucial tackle position(s).

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I think G-Rob will do fine at RT.....bet he moves BACK to LT in a few years. I also don't see Havenstein starting at RG. I see Jamon Brown beating him out.
It's not enough to have physical ability. Players have to be smart and think quickly to succeed on the field. Greg Robinson is a bust at NFL football.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It's not enough to have physical ability. Players have to be smart and think quickly to succeed on the field.
Okay...then what happened? I mean....you are implying that success is achieved by smart players that think quickly. What happened to Havenstein? He was smart...I'm sure he's a "fast" thinker....What happened?
Personally, I think it's the coaches JOB to get physically talented players to play well...together. Players that can't stay healthy...that's another story.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay...then what happened? I mean....you are implying that success is achieved by smart players that think quickly. What happened to Havenstein? He was smart...I'm sure he's a "fast" thinker....What happened?
Personally, I think it's the coaches JOB to get physically talented players to play well...together. Players that can't stay healthy...that's another story.

He got injured. He injured his right ankle or foot and couldn't set a hard edge because of it. It allowed pass rushers to abuse him off the edge and take advantage of the balance issues his ankle/foot injury was causing.

fearsomefour

Legend
Correct, but I think those are actually two reasons he would make a better Guard prospect than Tackle.

The majority of his lunging was when he was getting beat by a defensive end on the outside.
The bad hand work became noticeable when he was getting beat on the inside.
His lack of quickness at 332 pounds was apparent when the much quicker defensive ends were working him over.
Playing on the interior of the line don't be less reason for him to lunge.
The cliché is that he'll be playing more in a phone booth rather than having to cover the space he would as a tackle. JMO.
I see what you're saying.
But, he lunges all the time, in the run game too.
He doesn't lack quickness he lacks technique.
RT may serve him better given the bes pass rusher will be his less. But, he will struggle no matter where he is until he technique issues are fixed. He is athletic enough to be very good, but, it doesn't mean anything if he can't use it because he never has leverage.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
If the Rams get a tall center they might have one of the tallest groups in the league.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He got injured. He injured his right ankle or foot and couldn't set a hard edge because of it. It allowed pass rushers to abuse him off the edge and take advantage of the balance issues his ankle/foot injury was causing.
The greatest ability, is availability. If he was injured, what the hell is he playing for? This kills me, I saw Havenstein on the sideline during preseason...laughing it up. Like no worries. Then I remember the game vs Vic Beasley...I've said b4, I rarely have seen a guy give up 3 sacks in ONE game and deserve to continue starting. And in this case, I'm sure Goff, McVay, and Snead all see that this guy moves too poorly to protect the #1 overall pick

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The greatest ability, is availability. If he was injured, what the hell is he playing for?

Ask the coaches.

Then I remember the game vs Vic Beasley...I've said b4, I rarely have seen a guy give up 3 sacks in ONE game and deserve to continue starting.

Which happened after his injury. You could visibly see that he was struggling to put any weight on his right foot/ankle. He stood no chance. That's a failure on the coaches who put him out there.

And in this case, I'm sure Goff, McVay, and Snead all see that this guy moves too poorly to protect the #1 overall pick

He moved well enough to only give up 3.5 sacks in his first 23 starts before suffering the ankle/foot injury.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
It's not enough to have physical ability. Players have to be smart and think quickly to succeed on the field. Greg Robinson is a bust at NFL football.

Might be a little rash there Tomas, but I can see your frustrations, and your frustrations have nothing to do with GRob himself.