Robinson to RT and Havenstein to RG?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams might be a little unsure about Havenstien. You don't intend to move a guy from his spot unless A) you think he could be better suited elsewhere, or, B) someone else could better in his spot. But September is a long ways away, anything can happen. I'm excited to see what Kromer can do with these guys.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

Psycho_X

Legend
Makes sense to try it.

I'm truly curious how much more difficult it is to learn plays on the left side versus the right side. I'm guessing GR would face less adversity at the RT spot and maybe the game would slow down for him.

I don't think it's more difficult learning wise it's just less scary when the RT whiffs on a play and the QB can at least see what's about to hit him than having him get blindsided from behind. I am still not confident Grob will be any better at RT but I feel a lot better knowing Whitworth will be blocking Goff's blindside.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
There's an entire list of legitament reasons Havenstein underperformed last year;
He injured his left plant foot in the offseason.

He didn't play in the preseason or camp.

He wasn't fully healed.

He had to learn a new offense without benefit of a camp.

Did he ever play two games in a row with the same Right Guard next to him?

Sophomore slump? :)

Basically Havenstein is a stud 10 year right tackle, IF you leave him in his spot. IMO.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've said it before, I'll say it again, Saffold to RG ( that's where he plays best!) and Keep Havenstein at RT!JMHO!

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
We Need to Talk About Greg

u [img]

usa-today-9021205.0.jpg
mockingbird.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
GRob with his over 35 inch arms should find it easier to play RT & be better than either of those OG posts.Getting a good season out of GRob with his near 7 million price tag is sure to have something to do with this move too. Keep it simple here on GRob should be the motto. It sure would be nice to see GRob have a successful season after 3 poor ones.

My big hope is that Aaron Kromer has the ability to finally take all this collected very large Ram OL talent & teach coach & direct this young cadre because Boudreau sure did not have it. Boudreau was unable to improve GRob's play from his playing college year in the SEC. I am very hopeful.

Last edited:

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I always thought that Robinson's feet weren't quick enough for him to be a successful LT in the NFL. Im excited to see what he and big Rob do on the strong side.

fearsomefour

Legend
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...line-greg-robinson-at-rt-rob-havenstein-at-rg

I'm really shocked by this.

Although, it makes more sense when you hear this:

It is true that the closer you move to the middle of the OL, the more important football IQ and processing ability becomes.
This may work....or may expose other physical short comings.
We know Grobs issues with bad balance and lunging and getting out of position. Havenstein may have issues playing low enough inside. Size doesn't mean much if you lose leverage. Havenstein height is the concern here. Come practice I am lining Donald across from him often.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
After Paul Boudreau was hired, who did he coach up to be a good NFL offensive lineman? (drawing a blank here)

Getting GRob away from playing next to Saffold is a smart move. Those two NEVER have played well next to each other.

I disagree with folks who think Havenstien is a good RT. He's slow and stiff, plays with not much bend at his waist and has shorter than average arms. I agree with coaching staff, he's better suited to playing inside. His football IQ will help GRob (something Saffold doesn't seem capable of).

Its apparent this new coaching staff is trying to maximize the strengths of their O linemen.This OL is going to look much different than last year and there will be surprises. (and more growing pains).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If they move Cody Wichmann in even further inside like a phone booth area @ center not much will get through either.

We do know that its a high probability that both GRob & Rodger Saffold will not be here next season based on cap cost alone, Thus it would put this Ram Ol ahead to have Jamon Brown solid entrenched @ LG & either Havenstein or Donnal set @ RT by the end of this season

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think G-Rob will do fine at RT.....bet he moves BACK to LT in a few years. I also don't see Havenstein starting at RG. I see Jamon Brown beating him out.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Havenstien is.... slow and stiff, plays with not much bend at his waist and has shorter than average arms.

All true. He's just effective.

Everything you mentioned was in his scouting report as well as the fact that he's a right tackle only.
He allowed one sack as a rookie and like five quarterback pressures.

He somehow compensates for his lack of athletic ability with intelligence and quick reactions due to a fast thinking brain. IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
I seem to remember reading LeCharles Bentley recommending NOT moving GRob in to the guard position, it would be too much for him to learn a new set of rules etc..
His problem is he plays with bad balance, he lunges while trying to block and his hand work isent great. All those things, particularly the lunging with bad balance, could turn him into a turnstile at G.
This is why some of us have been saying he isent a good fit at G. No idea about what Bentley said but until he improves that part of things G could be very dangerous for him.
If he ever could play with balance , technique and leverage his athletism could make him a monster at G. But, a lot of things would have to be cleaned up.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
GRob is a bust at tackle and needs to be a Guard. I don't see how they don't see this. Maybe because they get paid to make decisions?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
@Corbin they talked about how the interior linemen need to think/process the play faster and GRob isn't ready for that thus there willing to kick Havenstien inside and try Grob at RT. We shall see how this plays out come training camp.
Personally I see J. Brown at RG & Havenstien at RT

And with the 2nd overall pick in the draft the Rams finally get their "swing Tackle" :banghead::puke:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
His problem is he plays with bad balance, he lunges while trying to block and his hand work isent great.

Correct, but I think those are actually two reasons he would make a better Guard prospect than Tackle.

The majority of his lunging was when he was getting beat by a defensive end on the outside.
The bad hand work became noticeable when he was getting beat on the inside.
His lack of quickness at 332 pounds was apparent when the much quicker defensive ends were working him over.
Playing on the interior of the line don't be less reason for him to lunge.
The cliché is that he'll be playing more in a phone booth rather than having to cover the space he would as a tackle. JMO.