Robinson must be reeeeeeaaaaaally far behind, because...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Davin Joesph is terrible. Rewatched the coaches tape twice of last week and wow. Can't ever find anyone to block, slow, unphysical, every successful pass block he had came off a double team.

On the plus side, our boy Austin Davis had a pretty nice game. Still not 100% sold here, but I'm getting there.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I said it before we got him and after we got him. Joseph was awful in Tampa Bay, he didn't really deserve those Pro Bowls. I hoped I was wrong though. Disappointing, we need somebody to step up, hopefully Robinson. Hell, I'd put Mike Person in there right now if it means no Joseph.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm thinking it's a redshirt year for Robinson. Joseph hasn't been great but Jake Long has been terrible from what I've seen. I believe Fisher is working Robinson at LT in practice, so i wouldn't be surprised to see GRob replace Long at LT next year.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Basically, where I'm at with GRob is this... it's not time to PANIC yet... the dude still has plenty of time to turn it around, and his ceiling is still Hall of Fame.

But it is time to be concerned. I'm not sure I've ever heard of any top 5 pick missing the first 4 games without being suspended or injured. And it's not just because he's a rookie because other rookies are contributing. And every week that goes by that he's the world's highest paid Rams spectator, that worry grows.

As Username pointed out, it's not like he's being kept on the bench by superior play of those in front of him.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Davin Joesph is terrible. Rewatched the coaches tape twice of last week and wow. Can't ever find anyone to block, slow, unphysical, every successful pass block he had came off a double team.

On the plus side, our boy Austin Davis had a pretty nice game. Still not 100% sold here, but I'm getting there.
Where do you find the coaches tape?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm thinking it's a redshirt year for Robinson. Joseph hasn't been great but Jake Long has been terrible from what I've seen. I believe Fisher is working Robinson at LT in practice, so i wouldn't be surprised to see GRob replace Long at LT next year.

I really don't have any idea what's going on to be honest. I'm not "outraged," but I would really like an explanation from someone. Are they wanting him exclusively at tackle now, to be easier PB wise on him? Is he still that far behind?

In my opinion reps in the the NFL are reps. Sure switching positions on the line for a young player can be hard, but this is week 6 of the fucking season... Why is he not on the field?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Where do you find the coaches tape?

NFL.com game rewind. Whatever the cheapest version is. I think there's one that's like 20 bucks more that includes playoffs, and 2 more views but you don't need that shit. This one gives you the basic old school endzone shot, and then a birds eye view of the line.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFL.com game rewind. Whatever the cheapest version is. I think there's one that's like 20 bucks more that includes playoffs, and 2 more views but you don't need that crap. This one gives you the basic old school endzone shot, and then a birds eye view of the line.
I have 2 subscriptions to nfl sunday ticket..that doesnt give me access to it?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My problem is, I'm tired of "draft for the future". When the hell are we gunna "draft for the present"? There's no reason to take a red shirt player 2nd overall. It's completely unacceptable. Rams fans are done waiting. We need results now.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My problem is, I'm tired of "draft for the future". When the hell are we gunna "draft for the present"? There's no reason to take a red shirt player 2nd overall. It's completely unacceptable. Rams fans are done waiting. We need results now.
I have to strongly disagree. The Rams FO obviously views Robinson as a future Pro Bowl player or they wouldnt have taken him 2nd overall. If they feel his play will eventually match his potential you dont pass on him simply to get a guy who will be better year 1

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I have 2 subscriptions to nfl sunday ticket..that doesnt give me access to it?

Lol no. It's bullshit. Unless they changed it since I last checked. Just another way they can screw you out of money. The nfl rewind lets you watch the broadcast version and the condensed version too just want to throw that in there. So if you need "another view" you can always switch to those or if you wanna watch a game fast, you can watch the condensed version.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Jake Long has been pretty suspect in pass pro so far this year. If we were to pull Joseph that slides Saffold over to RG and throws Robinson in at LG. That sounds like a really bad pass pro on the left side of that line.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol no. It's bullcrap. Unless they changed it since I last checked. Just another way they can screw you out of money. The nfl rewind lets you watch the broadcast version and the condensed version too just want to throw that in there. So if you need "another view" you can always switch to those or if you wanna watch a game fast, you can watch the condensed version.
Thats nuts..I have 2 freakin subscriptions to the more premium packages and I still dont get all the features I'd like...What a joke

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Has anyone asked Fisher about this? JT for example?

Last quote I remember was something like "He's doing fine. Practicing hard. He just needs to keep doing what he's doing and he'll be fine." :rolleyes:

Have to look it up not sure where it came from.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Too many other teams are playing their 1st round draft picks, and we seem to want to "groom" ours for the future. Sorry, but we are 1-3, and IMO G-Rob needs to play and get his baptism by fire. If we are a run first team, then he should be playing because of his physical nature. The transition from LG to LT, in the future, can be done during the off-season. It only makes sense to move Saffold to RG and plug G-Rob to LG. That is the best O-Line scenario. SMH with G-Rob sitting on the bench. Has to be extremely frustrating for him.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Last quote I remember was something like "He's doing fine. Practicing hard. He just needs to keep doing what he's doing and he'll be fine." :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12455/greg-robinson-still-awaiting-his-opportunity

Greg Robinson still awaiting his opportunity
October, 9, 2014
Oct 9
2:00
PM ET
By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The first quarter of St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Greg Robinson's rookie season has passed. But if you're looking to assign him a grade, you'd probably have to go with an "I." As in incomplete.

i

That's because Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick in May's draft, remains stuck in a reserve role when it comes to offense. Most of his contributions have come while blocking on special teams. Through four games, Robinson has played just 10 snaps on offense, filling in briefly for Rodger Saffold in the opener against Minnesota.

After another rough day at the office for the offensive line against Philadelphia last week -- especially in the first half -- it's left many to wonder why Robinson isn't getting an opportunity to at least get some work in games.

Since the Rams drafted Robinson, it's been well known that it would take him some time to get used to pass blocking at the NFL level, but the Rams did him no favors by having him bounce between tackle and guard throughout the preseason. Robinson is still going back and forth during practice.

When asked about Robinson's progress earlier this week, coach Jeff Fisher gave his standard response.

“Greg just needs to keep doing what he’s doing," Fisher said. "He’s gotten much better over the last couple of weeks. He’s got a good feel for both of the positions. And just keep learning, working. He’s working hard on the practice field.”

The question then becomes when that hard work on the practice field will translate into actual playing time on Sundays. Considering the injury histories of four of the Rams' starting offensive line linemen -- tackle Jake Long, guards Saffold and Davin Joseph and center Scott Wells -- it would seem entirely possible that Robinson will get his chance at some point.

But that's not really the point. Joseph has mostly struggled in the first four games, failing to provide consistency in pass protection and not generating much push in the run game. For what it's worth, Pro Football Focus has Joseph down for allowing one sack, six quarterback hits and eight quarterback hurries in the first four games, not to mention three penalties (one offsetting).

If they wanted, the Rams could easily plug Robinson in at left guard and kick Saffold over to right guard in place of Joseph. Or, barring that, they could at least get Robinson in the game as part of a rotation, something they were willing to do last year at times.

Even if you operate under the assumption that Robinson will have his share of hiccups, especially as a pass blocker -- and he will -- why not get him in there to take some lumps while also adding a player who might be able to help the run game somewhere else besides the left side? If both Joseph and Robinson are going to have issues protecting quarterback Austin Davis, wouldn't it be worth seeing if Robinson can provide more punch in the run game?

The Rams are about to enter the teeth of their schedule with physical matchups against San Francisco and Seattle over the next two weeks. Robinson was drafted for just these types of games. But he can't help the Rams stare down the neighborhood bullies if he's not allowed to leave the house.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Since I was Lambasted for my concern on this very subject early on, I will say I am hopeful and patient. I am hoping for development and real changes in the OL play going forward if improvement is not made I am hoping for some FA's to shore up the line going forward, I personally love the young uninjured OL free agent that has already proven he can play in this league. I do believe in the draft as a way to improve your OL. I also am always very concerned about the discount shopping for OL which usually involves a injured vet or a depth chart promotion do to injury that is unproven. If nothing else GR needs to continue to improve irrespective of his playing time frame.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

You're right. I remember that quote.
I understand the fans' frustration concerning Big G not playing. IMO if he doesn't get in at all this season there's reason to be concerned.