Robert Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
We all know the type of season RQ had. Nobody in the league dominated the way he did. The fact that he didn't win DPOY and didn't get the Deacon Jones award because of a mysterious sack given to Mathis is an absolute disgrace. I'm still not over that. Some of the plays he made this year(Strip, sack, recover and score vs Chicago) were Hall of Fame esque. My main reason of this post was to ask you guys, after three years in this league, who do you compare Quinn too? And what type of career does he have? He's super young at only 23 years old and already has 34 sacks. So again, who does Robert Quinn compare to and what type of career does he have going forward?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
We all know the type of season RQ had. Nobody in the league dominated the way he did. The fact that he didn't win DPOY and didn't get the Deacon Jones award because of a mysterious sack given to Mathis is an absolute disgrace. I'm still not over that. Some of the plays he made this year(Strip, sack, recover and score vs Chicago) were Hall of Fame esque. My main reason of this post was to ask you guys, after three years in this league, who do you compare Quinn too? And what type of career does he have? He's super young at only 23 years old and already has 34 sacks. So again, who does Robert Quinn compare to and what type of career does he have going forward?

I don't think you can compare him to anyone. The way he speed rushes around the edge is just one of a kind. Nobody else has the gumby ability that he does.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think you can compare him to anyone. The way he speed rushes around the edge is just one of a kind. Nobody else has the gumby ability that he does.

So you're saying in the history of the NFL, nobody compares to the Mighty Quinn? That is bold my friend(y)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
So you're saying in the history of the NFL, nobody compares to the Mighty Quinn? That is bold my friend(y)

I'm sure you can make comparisons if you look back far enough. But his agility, speed, and the so called "gumby" gene that he possesses to bend his body like he does makes it incredibly hard.

Sure, when you break it down, he's a speed rusher....but the way he gets it done really is unique.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
That insane penalty call in the Bears game was a major slap in the face. The official who made that call should have been rushed to the hospital to check for brain damage and given a new prescription for his glasses. What do you think about a Leonard Little comparison? Both these guys have sacks as the focus of their game and could force fumbles leading to scores. They are also roughly the same size since Little was 6'3" 267 pounds and Quinn is 6'4" 264 pounds.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I was one of the biggest Leonard Little fans (I still wear his jersey) but he's got nothing on Robert Quinn. Quinn's athleticism is ridiculous and the way he can bend and flex to get off blocks is truly unique.

fearsomefour

Legend
Little was not as developed as Quinn is now. It's not a terrible comparison however.
Leslie Oneil? Health will be a major issue in terms of compiling enough stats to reach the HOF.
Image the love Quinn would get if he played in NY or NE.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If I had to based on speed and athletic ability I would go with Kearse

This is probably the best comparison, Kearse was truly a freak. He would have ruined our Super Bowl victory if he got to Warner's arm a second earlier.

I'm sure you can make comparisons if you look back far enough. But his agility, speed, and the so called "gumby" gene that he possesses to bend his body like he does makes it incredibly hard.

Sure, when you break it down, he's a speed rusher....but the way he gets it done really is unique.

Very true. I don't think I've ever seen anyone bend his body quite like him. Dwight Freeney comes to mind.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He kinda reminds me of a *slightly* more athletic Julius Peppers

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I think I thought of Demarcus Ware when we initially drafted him.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I was not a R Quinn fan his first two years, or even the first 4-5 games, until I started watching two things:
a) his inside rush move
b) his amazing run stopping work.

He really took to the coaching; I can't think of a DE in the league, with his frame, who can play the way he has against the run. His pass rush (outside move)
won't work against the best Pro Bowl tackles more than 1-2x a game. He needs to add some power to his bend. But, against any average to good LT he is unstoppable. I think he will get a lot better. He looks like a 4.4 after his first two steps....of course the first two steps is the diffrence between 4.4 and 4.6

I think long term, 10-12 years, he won't be as great as some others who are HOF, like Bruce Smith. I say that because he has to add 20 pounds of muscle to add to that quickness if he is going to get 12 sacks at age 32+...He still gets overpowered.

In 40 years of watching football, I can't think of a guy like him--all the great ones had more power in their legs--look at the top 20 sackers of all time from 1982+. I think only Jason taylor and Simeon Rice didn't have good sized legs. jack youngblood was skinny, but that was a different era.

There is no one I have seen, in 40 years of watching football, that is near a) his athleticism with inside moves, b) ability to play the run and to just c) run around tackles at the same time--- in their 3rd year. Jevon Kearse isn't close--he couldn't play the run, and his gas tank/quickness ran dry pretty quick (after his third year he never had 10+ sacks again). To get 19 sacks on a 7-9 team is pretty amazing. I think Jared Allen did better; but who has that many sacks on a sub .500 team?

The only weakness I saw was when the O line plays with small splits....he is easily uprooted in those situation....but, if he has space to create leverage and use his body to twist, turn and break free no lineman is guarenteed to stop him on the sweep.

He made me wrong, and I am happy to admit it!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I was not a R Quinn fan his first two years, or even the first 4-5 games, until I started watching two things:
a) his inside rush move

He really took to the coaching; I can't think of a DE in the league, with his frame, who can play the way he has against the run. His pass rush (outside move)
won't work against the best Pro Bowl tackles more than 1-2x a game. He needs to add some power to his bend. But, against any average to good LT he is unstoppable. I think he will get a lot better. He looks like a 4.4 after his first two steps....of course the first two steps is the diffrence between 4.4 and 4.6

I think long term, 10-12 years, he won't be as great as some others who are HOF, like Bruce Smith. I say that because he has to add 20 pounds of muscle to add to that quickness if he is going to get 12 sacks at age 32+...He still gets overpowered.

In 40 years of watching football, I can't think of a guy like him--all the great ones had more power in their legs--look at the top 20 sackers of all time from 1982+. I think only Jason taylor and Simeon Rice didn't have good sized legs. jack youngblood was skinny, but that was a different era.

There is no one I have seen, in 40 years of watching football, that is near a) his athleticism with inside moves, b) ability to play the run and to just c) run around tackles at the same time--- in their 3rd year. Jevon Kearse isn't close--he couldn't play the run, and his gas tank/quickness ran dry pretty quick (after his third year he never had 10+ sacks again). To get 19 sacks on a 7-9 team is pretty amazing. I think Jared Allen did better; but who has that many sacks on a sub .500 team?

The only weakness I saw was when the O line plays with small splits....he is easily uprooted in those situation....but, if he has space to create leverage and use his body to twist, turn and break free no lineman is guarenteed to stop him on the sweep.

Thanks for your input, nicely done. I have to agree with you. To me, he looked like a one truck pony for even the first part of the year. But man, he is just a one man wrecking crew. One of my favorite things about him is his motor. He's just relentless for 60 minutes(see Bears game, coulda had at least 5 sacks). Great all around DE. I think you hit the nail on the head with your point about getting overpowered sometimes. But again, he's still 23 years old. The kid is going to be special IMO.

SierraRam

Recreational User
He kinda reminds me of a *slightly* more athletic Julius Peppers

Peppers & Kearse are good comparisons. Charles Haley was a guy who was always disruptive and could play the run, too. Just like our guy!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I was one of the biggest Leonard Little fans (I still wear his jersey) but he's got nothing on Robert Quinn. Quinn's athleticism is ridiculous and the way he can bend and flex to get off blocks is truly unique.

I would never be a LL fan.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I would never be a LL fan.

Without digressing too much on this topic, all I can say is at least guys like Leonard Little and Donte Stallworth are genuinely made a terrible mistake. I think they feel (and still feel) horrible about it, and I can't imagine going through that on a daily basis. This is unlike some other players...who are sorry only b/c they got caught....

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
a) his inside rush move

Damn good Analysis there Steve. He is going to be great watching over the next few years. My question to you is, with the talent on our current D Line how much more seasons of 15+ sack years can he have in the next 3-6 years? Seems as though that could help him not be double and/or triple teamed. The other teams and players you listed didn't have quite the talent our D-Line no posses.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Without digressing too much on this topic, all I can say is at least guys like Leonard Little and Donte Stallworth are genuinely made a terrible mistake. I think they feel (and still feel) horrible about it, and I can't imagine going through that on a daily basis. This is unlike some other players...who are sorry only b/c they got caught....
Yea I'd have to agree with that but didn't LL get another DWI afterwards? I loved him as a player, as a person I'm like wtf? I can sympathize with him because I couldn't imagine being let off and dealing with those demons of what my actions did to another and many of those that loved them.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Strahan was much bigger and had a lot of different power moves, but was not so quick, either. I think he could be better. BUt, I don't think his style is like Quinn's. Strahan is also probably one of the smartest DE's to ever play. Haley, Youngblood really smart too.