Robert Quinn Striving for Improved 2015/Simmons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Quinn Striving for Improved 2015
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Quinn-Striving-for-Improved-2015/2339f2b3-d6ee-415a-8bef-a6c3b27daac8

Any coach or offensive lineman around the league will tell you Robert Quinn is one of the most feared pass rushers in the NFL. And while he earned a second trip to the Pro Bowl in 2014, the defensive end said after Saturday’s training camp practice that he wasn’t satisfied finishing with his total of 10.5 sacks.

“It’s great to make a Pro Bowl, but I set my bar extremely high,” Quinn said. “I’m blessed to go to two [Pro Bowls], but 10.5 -- it’s a good season. I want a great season every year I’m here.”

“I have to push myself to start faster, do whatever I can to figure it out, and, I don’t know, maybe get 20 [sacks] -- or whatever the number may be,” Quinn continued. “I just set my bar so high, that way I can constantly continue to reach. And if I reach it, I guess I have to push myself a little bit more.”

Quinn has been dominant since he arrived in the league, though his breakout season was undeniably in 2013 when he set a new franchise mark with 19.0 sacks. But an underrated aspect of the defensive end’s game may be his ability to create fumbles, at which he continued to excel in 2014. The coaches gave him credit for seven FFs last season, giving him a total of 15 for his career.

Still, starting off the season better has been a stated goal for the entire team, particularly on defense. One of the factors that should increase early production is the amount of continuity not only on the coaching staff, led by coordinator Gregg Williams, but also with the players. That’s especially true on the defensive line, a group Quinn called stable.

“The guys kind of get more and more comfortable, understand how each other plays -- that allows us to play faster,” Quinn said. “When you look to your left or right, your guy has got your back. And you don’t have to worry about them messing up because you build that trust on the field, and in the locker room, and in the meeting room.”

With the Rams’ pass rush getting off to a slow start before racking up 3.0 sacks in the Oct. 19 victory over Seattle, Quinn said the unit will benefit from not having to learn a new defensive playbook.

“We didn’t start the season off the way we wanted, but as the season went on and we understood what [Williams] was looking for, we started playing the way we wanted,” Quinn said of 2014. “Hopefully, with the way we finished the season, we’ll just build from training camp into this season. And the sky is the limit as long as we don’t let ourselves down.”

Avoiding a letdown seems to be one of Quinn’s main goals for camp. And for him, that will pay dividends by once again having a great -- not just good -- season. The key to doing it?

“Constantly work your craft,” the D-end said. “I know it’s a simple answer, but you’ve just got to constantly work your craft day-in and day-out.”

Quinn added working on defensive line techniques can get tedious because they don’t change much. But as a member of the front four, players can’t get too bored or comfortable.

“As D-linemen, we do repeat a lot, but that’s part of our job,” Quinn said. “As long as we fine-tune that, polish that up -- I keep saying it, but I think the sky is the limit.”

Plus, the two-time Pro Bowler said he wants to continue to incorporate more elements to his game -- a trying prospect for many offensive coaches and linemen around the league.

“If you can’t learn any more, I guess it’s time to get out of the game,” Quinn said. “So you’re always trying to add something to your game -- not trying to change your game completely, but always trying to add something to it to make it better.”

One factor that should help Quinn along this season is the talent he’ll play next to in fellow starters Chris Long, Aaron Donald, and Michael Brockers.

“We’ve got first rounders across the board, and that’s pretty special,” Quinn said. “With Chris, I guess, being the old hat around here now. Aaron, I think, is going to be a great player. ‘Brock’ is, so far, having a great camp. So I’m excited to see, once things really get rocking and rolling, what these guys can really bring out.”

And as for analysts predicting the Rams’ D-line could be among the league’s best, Quinn sees that potential, too -- provided the unit takes care of business and works for it.

“I think from top to bottom we’re pretty special,” Quinn said. “There are great D-lines out there. I’m giving you a biased opinion, but I think we can be the best in the league as long as we live up to our expectations and what we’re capable of doing. The season’s a little ways a way, so time will tell.”

SierraRam

Recreational User
"Robert Quinn Striving for Improved 2015"

Looks like the refs need to improve not Robert...

images
images
images

iced

Don't see anything wrong.

Signed:
Every ref the Rams have had the last 2 years.

Cowboy game was the worst. Think we had UFC refs considering the amount of rear naked chokes allowed

SierraRam

Recreational User
Cowboy game was the worst. Think we had UFC refs considering the amount of rear naked chokes allowed

Yup. First conspiracy theory of 2015:
I couldn't find any pictures of the Cowboys holding Quinn!
images

iced

Yup. First conspiracy theory of 2015:
I couldn't find any pictures of the Cowboys holding Quinn!
images

lol i found a lot - the most blatant one was the hold on brockers by travis frederick on the bomb to dez bryant

jap

Legend
Time for The Mighty One to break the Deacon's unofficial sack record.