Rob Halvestein - Future All-Pro?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most so called experts had him as a 3rd round pick. Is it really a huge reach to take him as late in the 2nd as we did? Either way I don't worry about it too much as long as he performs nobody is going to care in the long run where he was picked.

Limey

Rookie

Sorry to be picky, but it actually has it as "Havenstein" which makes me think of a retreat to a large, German beer mug - which doesn't sound too bad at all :)

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry to be picky, but it actually has it as "Havenstein" which makes me think of a retreat to a large, German beer mug - which doesn't sound too bad at all :)

Well, I feel really stupid! I go on writing how much I like this player and I can't even spell his name correctly! I just hope he plays better than I spell!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a fan and not any sort of expert, I wonder if Havenstein was picked by Fisher because the overall qualities of the player were higher than other Olinement available at the draft slot? I think temperment (want to) is more valuable than natural physical ability, to a point. I think of a soft OT named Jonathon Martin, picked in the 2nd round, that probably (?) has more physical ability than Havenstein...But if the new pick for the Rams is half as nasty as we have heard, there's no way I want a more physically talented player with no heart...jmo. As for other positional players available at the same draft slot, it's all subjective..What we value..what Mel Kiper values..what Todd McShay values....doesn't compare with the informed opinion of Rams Scouts that spend their lives in bad hotels, eating bad food, attending practice after practice..with a specific idea of what Rams brass wants in a player.......again, this is how I see it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
With Havenstein, he's definitely a player where film rules.

Just watch him against speed rushers and you realize that the drills mean squat. The guy understands angles.

So long as the QB doesn't screw him, meaning he steps UP into the pocket, then Havenstein will have his proper angles and should be able to keep his angles right which he's VERY good at.

If someone as FAST and young as Gregory couldn't sniff a QB using speed, it's unlikely the speed rushers in the NFL will. Guys get STRONGER in the NFL, but rarely do they get much faster. Consistently faster and/or the combination of stronger/faster and the game gets faster, but older guys don't get faster.

Also, when you see that Havenstein had zero holding penalties, he contained that speed with PROPER TECHNIQUE. That's huge. It means that he knows how to play the position and hasn't been able to dominate based on being bigger than the other guy and then get away with grabbing.

So, yeah, he can be an All-Pro at the next level because he's got the foundation to shut down guys as well as the size and disposition to PANCAKE guys and open holes for a potential 1800+ yd RB in Gurley. If they put another Road Grader next to Havenstein (like Saffold slots back to RG and blows up there), that will get the attention of whoever votes for that stuff.

Limey

Rookie
Well, I feel really stupid! I go on writing how much I like this player and I can't even spell his name correctly! I just hope he plays better than I spell!
No need to - the official site should be embarrassed, it's their job to get it right, but we are all entitled to make mistakes. Besides, we have barely heard it yet. By the end of the season when we are used to hearing it in the context of "player X is flattened by Havenstein, and Mason/Gurley is away..." it will be much more familiar to all of us :)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i remember reading the article by silver in the rams draft room and coach bou was a relieved man when they picked havenstein. he was worried they were gonna miss out on him when they were trying to trade down again with the bucs.