River's Post SuperBowl Mock ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
CAP Casualty cuts :

Chris Long
James Laurinaitis
Jared Cook
Nick Foles

Restructure :

Rodger Saffold

Trade :

Franchise, sign long term & trade Janoris Jenkins to Pittsburgh for their late 1'st rounder.

Re-sign :

William Hayes
Mark Barron
Rodney McLeod
Trumaine Johnson
Cory Harkey
Greg Zuerlein
Benny Cunningham
Daren Bates
Chase Reynolds
Cody Davis
Case Keenum
Christian Bryant

Outside Free Agent acquisitions :

WR - Alshon Jeffery (if franchised by Chicago, trade for Josh Gordon)
WR - Travis Benjamin
C - Stefen Wisniewski
CB - Antwon Blake

Draft :

1a) QB - Carson Wentz
1b) DE - Emmanuel Ogbah
2a) TE - Hunter Henry
2b) ILB - Kentrell Brothers
3) WR - Rashard Higgins
4) C/OG - Jack Allen
6) DE - Anthony Zettle

53 Depth Chart :

Offense (26) :

QB - Wentz, Keenum, Mannion
RB - Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, Watts, Reynolds
WR - Jeffery (or Gordon), Benjamin, Higgins, Austin, Britt
TE - Henry, Kendricks, Harkey
OL - Havenstein, GRob, Wisniewski, Brown, Saffold, Reynolds, Wichmann, Donnal, Williams, Allen

Defense (24) :

DL - Quinn, Donald, Brockers, Ogbah, Hayes, Westbrooks, Zettle, Worthington or Trinca-Pasat
LB - Ogletree, Brothers, Ayers, Hager, Bates
CB - Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson, Blake, Patterson
S - Barron, McLeod, McDonald, Alexander, Davis

Special Teams (3) :

P - Johnny Hekker
K - Greg Zuerlein
LS - Jake McQuaide

Practice Squad :

OT - Isaiah Battle
C - Demetrius Rhaney
WR - Isaiah Ferguson, Nick Toon, Bradley Marquez
DE - Matt Longacre
DT - Louis Trinca-Pasat or Worthington
RB - Malcolm Brown
S - Christian Bryant
TE - Justice Cunningham

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Looks great on paper. But if the Rams want Wentz, it's gonna take a trade up.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks great on paper. But if the Rams want Wentz, it's gonna take a trade up.

I could live with Lynch at that spot, maybe even trade down a few spots and he's still available. Of course, all 3 of the top QB's may be gone when we pick, so we'll just have to wait. Dallas, S.F. & Philly could edge us out. Pray that Jerry Jones still wants Manziel, S.F. wants Kaepernik, and Bradford lowers his price tag for the Eagles. jmo.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I could live with Lynch at that spot, maybe even trade down a few spots and he's still available. Of course, all 3 of the top QB's may be gone when we pick, so we'll just have to wait. Dallas, S.F. & Philly could edge us out. Pray that Jerry Jones still wants Manziel, S.F. wants Kaepernik, and Bradford lowers his price tag for the Eagles. jmo.

That would be lovely wouldn't it? The Eagles are going to take Foles back and Bradford will sign with the Browns. Kap stays in San Fran. This works for me.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'd be very surprised if ANY team picks up Manziel if the reports of him busting his girlfriends eardrum are valid. If true, he'll be looking at a year long suspension anyway.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That would be lovely wouldn't it? The Eagles are going to take Foles back and Bradford will sign with the Browns. Kap stays in San Fran. This works for me.
If the Eagles really did want Foles back, perhaps a swap of 1'st round picks (13 for 15) gets it done. That would actually be too much to hope for, … but wow.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I just can't get behind this^!! Restructure OK! Cut NO WAY!!

Sorry to disagree, but they're on the back end of their careers while commanding starter money. Time to move on, it happens even to the most popular, … that CAP money can be much better utilized imo.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Agree with Dave disagree with River regarding JL & CL

Pretty sure both will be back...at 100% for a change.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My favorite top Rivers moves here & what I agree with most of this is the very smart cap maneuverings of releasing very poor playing long time Ram vets who have seriously far out of line high cost salaries. Both cap hits are obstacles in preventing this Ram team from a winning 2016 season. Keeping these two weak links :thinking:& thus loosing several strong links to free agency weakens this team overall.

Then Rivers follows through with the drafting of their replacements in the first & second rounds with much lower cap costs placing this Ram team in position to purchase & retain many of the Rams UFA's starters.

These two releases by Rivers is a cold hearted tough move.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think creating a hole at MLB by cutting JL is smart. Remember we run a very complicated scheme and he's got it down. Would a rook be able to step in without jacking things up? Could Ayers or Barron make the calls? I just don't know. Why not restructure him and then draft more depth to build on?

Same deal with Chris Long. He's been injured but that doesn't mean he's done. Why not restructure him, he's already said he's willing to do so. At a low cap number IF he sucks in camp we can cut him with no worries but chances are a guy like him is going to carry his weight under that restructured contract.

My goal with the defense from there would be to get back one CB, Barron, and Hayes. I don't want to see more holes created that these guys need to plug. The draft needs to be heavy on offense, and bring back enough of our guys in the secondary that the defense can shine when it finally has a complementary offense.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd like to adjust my original mock as seen above to reflect changing my free agent Center selection. Please exchange Wisniewski for Detroit's UFA Manny Ramirez. Manny, although much older, graded out (PFF) at #4 with all Centers, where Wiz graded out at #19 and Barnes at #29.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CAP Casualty cuts :

Chris Long
James Laurinaitis
Jared Cook
Nick Foles

Restructure :

Rodger Saffold

Trade :

Franchise, sign long term & trade Janoris Jenkins to Pittsburgh for their late 1'st rounder.

Re-sign :

William Hayes
Mark Barron
Rodney McLeod
Trumaine Johnson
Cory Harkey
Greg Zuerlein
Benny Cunningham
Daren Bates
Chase Reynolds
Cody Davis
Case Keenum
Christian Bryant

Outside Free Agent acquisitions :

WR - Alshon Jeffery (if franchised by Chicago, trade for Josh Gordon)
WR - Travis Benjamin
C - Stefen Wisniewski
CB - Antwon Blake

Draft :

1a) QB - Carson Wentz
1b) DE - Emmanuel Ogbah
2a) TE - Hunter Henry
2b) ILB - Kentrell Brothers
3) WR - Rashard Higgins
4) C/OG - Jack Allen
6) DE - Anthony Zettle

53 Depth Chart :

Offense (26) :

QB - Wentz, Keenum, Mannion
RB - Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, Watts, Reynolds
WR - Jeffery (or Gordon), Benjamin, Higgins, Austin, Britt
TE - Henry, Kendricks, Harkey
OL - Havenstein, GRob, Wisniewski, Brown, Saffold, Reynolds, Wichmann, Donnal, Williams, Allen

Defense (24) :

DL - Quinn, Donald, Brockers, Ogbah, Hayes, Westbrooks, Zettle, Worthington or Trinca-Pasat
LB - Ogletree, Brothers, Ayers, Hager, Bates
CB - Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson, Blake, Patterson
S - Barron, McLeod, McDonald, Alexander, Davis

Special Teams (3) :

P - Johnny Hekker
K - Greg Zuerlein
LS - Jake McQuaide

Practice Squad :

OT - Isaiah Battle
C - Demetrius Rhaney
WR - Isaiah Ferguson, Nick Toon, Bradley Marquez
DE - Matt Longacre
DT - Louis Trinca-Pasat or Worthington
RB - Malcolm Brown
S - Christian Bryant
TE - Justice Cunningham

Dream offseason, honestly.

Make

It

Happen

:LOL:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think creating a hole at MLB by cutting JL is smart. Remember we run a very complicated scheme and he's got it down. Would a rook be able to step in without jacking things up? Could Ayers or Barron make the calls? I just don't know. Why not restructure him and then draft more depth to build on?.....
I see this entirely different here. The HOLE is there with JL or without JL. There is no CREATION of any Hole with this release. The HOLE was there all season long in our defense. My mind says why continue to pay any cap funds for a Hole?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@BonifayRam in his defense the guy played through an injury that restricted use of an arm from the Browns game on but he's a throwback who plays through pain. I think calling him a hole is overkill. Sure, the Rams need to upgrade at MLB and I'd love to see them bring in a guy like Scooby. But that doesn't mean it's wise to cast JL off when a restructure can ensure the Rams have the positional depth they need there. Definitely gonna disagree with you on this one brother.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@BonifayRam in his defense the guy played through an injury that restricted use of an arm from the Browns game on but he's a throwback who plays through pain. I think calling him a hole is overkill. Sure, the Rams need to upgrade at MLB and I'd love to see them bring in a guy like Scooby. But that doesn't mean it's wise to cast JL off when a restructure can ensure the Rams have the positional depth they need there. Definitely gonna disagree with you on this one brother.
No one appreciates JL more than I do. I have always posted positive about him here. I fully understand your point of view & most of our ROD family members see your way. But I truly believe JL has been used up by Fisher. JL has started 112 Ram Games in 7 seasons. JL has averaged 122 tackles each of those 7 seasons. JL was averaging close to 100 solo tackles for the first 6 seasons in 2015 JL had only 61. I see where there is most to nothing left in his tank.

JL's right elbow injury was serious & for most players it would have sent them to the OUT injury list for many weeks or to the IR but not JL. Fisher & Gregg has placed an enormous amount of weight & trust in JL the last two seasons & JL has more than earned his pay check & more. Time has come for a major change(release) or a less more moderate change (to reduce greatly the amount of plays JL is on the field & the major reduction in JL's cap hit)

One thing I know my friend Merlin JL elbow injury had very little to with his inability of his legs to get him into position in pass defense or the fact JL could not fight though or get off any blocks from even the dinkiest of WR's in run defense. This issue was seen in the latter half of the 2014 season long before he destroyed his elbow early 2015 season.

What also figures in here is I find it hard to think that Fisher will not find a way to bring our 2015 WSLB'er back in 2016. Barron just proved to be the best LB'er we had on the field after McDonald broke Tree's leg. Thus costing a good size chunk of cap $$$ to bring Barron back @ weak side & getting Alec Ogletree full time back @ LB'er gives Gregg great speed & 360 range with these two younger Lb'ers. You would be foolish not to run these two fulltime.

OK if we have two OSLB'ers like Barron & Ogletree talented both plays heavy in Gregg's Nickle & Dime defenses Where does JL fit?.....there is no real need for his services... its just not there a MLBer comes off the field so a DB comes on. Gregg favors & run a ton of Nickle & Dime defenses. This of course that would change if Barron bolts.

I sure agree with your pick of the future prospect MLB'er see below:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2083731/scooby-wright-iii
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1983609/tyler-matakevich

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since we're on LBs... I do think in looking at the mocks they have Jack too high. I see him routinely listed as a top 5 guy, and always in the top 10 but that knee injury plus the fact he doesn't have all that much tape means he should slide. Teams probably won't take him top ten based on limited looks plus his raw athleticism in the face of that knee injury IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can't sign Jenkins to a long term deal then trade him. You'd have to trade him before he signs the deal.

And the Browns have no reason to trade Gordon while Jeffery seems highly likely to receive the franchise tag.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
JL has started 112 Ram Games in 7 seasons. JL has averaged 122 tackles each of those 7 seasons. JL was averaging close to 100 solo tackles for the first 6 seasons in 2015 JL had only 61. I see where there is most to nothing left in his tank.
Could the cause of this 'Off-Year', w/only 61 Tackles, be partly because of the injuries to the rest of the "D" this past season!? Cause & Effect! { ie; Ogletree, Gaines, Long, Quinn, etc. etc.!?!}

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Could the cause of this 'Off-Year', w/only 61 Tackles, be partly because of the injuries to the rest of the "D" this past season!? Cause & Effect! { ie; Ogletree, Gaines, Long, Quinn, etc. etc.!?!}

Yep sure could have.......but I looked at this way Dave....JL's overall production should have been up..... not downward trending due to:

#1- Having played behind the best 3 interior DL'ers in the NFL Aaron Donald, Brockers & Fairley. All high youthful first round draft picks! Chances are he will never play behind a better three than what he had in front of him PROTECTING him in 2015.

#2- JL who is expected to play deep in the middle had two of the best young CB's playing with him protecting him on the edges of the back seven range. Both these Corners are excellent tacklers. Too bad it probable both will not be there to assist JL this season.

#3-JL also had the luxury of having one of the best hardest hitting & greedy tackling deep FS in the NFL right behind him. Sad to point out again that McLeod who's had JL's back is also a UFA & stands a good chance of being elsewhere too.

#4- The 2015 Nickle-Back CB Lamarcus Joyner became a much better defender. His tackling & range improved and help JL many times playing near JL & many times making the Tackles that JL was out of position to make. With the two UFA starting CB's Joyner could be called into one of the starting outside posts.

#5- The Long injury had very little effect on JL IMO in fact the better all around DE Hayes may have helped JL. With Hayes & Sims UFA's in 2016 thus Long being last man standing @ LDE it may be real bad news for JL.

To summarize in many of my posts over the past month I have stated my position that the 2015 defense will stand to be a much better defense that what we will see the Rams field in 2016. Thus I fear that JL's declining play will dramatically appear with each & every snap. That's just a old long time Ram fan blathering on here.....