RIP Joe Garagiola

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One of the greats!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15052693/legendary-announcer-joe-garagiola-sr-dies-age-90

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Growing up in the Hill neighborhood of St. Louis not far from future Hall of Famer Yogi Berra, Garagiola went on to hit .257 during nine years in the majors. His highlight came early, getting a four-hit game in the 1946 World Series and helping the hometown Cardinals win the championship as a 20-year-old rookie.

"Not only was I not the best catcher in the major leagues, I wasn't even the best catcher on my street," Garagiola once remarked.

But it was after he stopped playing that his fortunes took off. He thrived as a glib baseball broadcaster and fixture on the "Today" show, leading to a nearly 30-year association with NBC.

Garagiola was the play-by-play voice of baseball for NBC for nearly 30 years, beginning in 1961. He worked alongside Curt Gowdy, Tony Kubek and Bob Costas on the network's "Game of the Week."

After leaving NBC in 1988, Garagiola became the commentator for the California Angels and Diamondbacks until retiring from broadcasting in 2013.

He was awarded the Ford Frick Award, presented annually to a broadcaster for "major contributions to baseball," by the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1991.

"He had a genuine impact on the craft," Costas said. "He was among the first to bring a humorous, story-telling style to the booth."

Garagiola's son, Joe Jr., is a former general manager of the Diamondbacks and a current executive with Major League Baseball.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of this amazing man," his family said in a statement, "who was not just beloved to those of us in his family, but to generations of baseball fans who he impacted during his eight decades in the game."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great Loss!! I loved watching this guy Talk in the '60's on TV!!

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
joe and tony kubek / curt gowdy on game of the week in the 70's. the only access to baseball info back then. great voice and personality, he made watching the games much more enjoyable.