Rich Eisen Show: Jeff Fisher Interview

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bskrilla

Starter
Thought it was funny when he said that Carroll said they wanted to pooch the OT kick-off so that Austin couldn't return it and Fisher said Tavon hasn't been on the KR unit in 2 years.

That being said I think in an OT scenario like that Tavon SHOULD have been back there returning that kick. Field position on that initial drive is huge and Tavon is easily the most electric returner on your team. I understand not wanting to expose him to injury by having him return all the kicks, but in certain circumstances like OT or a last minute KR trying to tie up the game or whatever it seems like it might be the right call to put Tavon in.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If you look at the Onside kick, Hauschka really messed it up because if he was going to do it, he kicked it too far.

The rule is 10 yards, right? Well, iirc that it's 10 yards, then that puts it live at the Seahawk 45 and he kicked it almost to the 50.

A slightly slower, more angled kick and they easily recover it. Our guys were more than 15 yards off and we only had 3 guys there.

Shoulda just squib kicked it 10 yards on an angle.

I agree Hauschka was a goat for that game, but not because he didn't pooch kick it around the 20 or whatever. I think they wanted to onside kick it and he just messed it up.

Only thing I can think of is that he did that little chip shot because the flight is more predictable so it's a more catchable ball than relying on a friendly bounce of a football.

FRO

Legend
Thought it was funny when he said that Carroll said they wanted to pooch the OT kick-off so that Austin couldn't return it and Fisher said Tavon hasn't been on the KR unit in 2 years.

That being said I think in an OT scenario like that Tavon SHOULD have been back there returning that kick. Field position on that initial drive is huge and Tavon is easily the most electric returner on your team. I understand not wanting to expose him to injury by having him return all the kicks, but in certain circumstances like OT or a last minute KR trying to tie up the game or whatever it seems like it might be the right call to put Tavon in.
That and the ball wouldn't have been in Pead's hands to fumble.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If you look at the Onside kick, Hauschka really messed it up because if he was going to do it, he kicked it too far.

The rule is 10 yards, right? Well, iirc that it's 10 yards, then that puts it live at the Seahawk 45 and he kicked it almost to the 50.

A slightly slower, more angled kick and they easily recover it. Our guys were more than 15 yards off and we only had 3 guys there.

Shoulda just squib kicked it 10 yards on an angle.

I agree Hauschka was a goat for that game, but not because he didn't pooch kick it around the 20 or whatever. I think they wanted to onside kick it and he just messed it up.

Only thing I can think of is that he did that little chip shot because the flight is more predictable so it's a more catchable ball than relying on a friendly bounce of a football.
And there should have been a 15 yard penalty tacked on after it was caught, because he was blasted.
You can't touch a guy once he's signaled for a fair catch.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And there should have been a 15 yard penalty tacked on after it was caught, because he was blasted.
You can't touch a guy once he's signaled for a fair catch.

Absolutely right. Triplette had the call wrong from the start. As Karraker, I think, noted, the Dome replay crew was right on it and they couldn't ignore the obvious "didn't hit the ground".

At some point, they'll be able to assess penalties when they find them on instant replay.

"On review, the ball didn't hit the ground, so the fair catch call was legal. As such, Personal Foul, Kicking Team, interfering with a fair catch. Fifteen yards from the spot of the foul. First down, St. Louis."

That's how it SHOULD be...getting it right, cuz sometimes you see something very clearly on a review and if the review shows a clear violation, the refs should be able to call a foul based on that evidence.