Rhaney and Jones

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Draft someone more talented than Jones. How would any of us know who is better than a guy coming out that has all of those awards and that coach Bou apparently liked even with the Liz Franc injury??? They knew he was going to have some recovery time and weight room time to get ready to play this year. Whatever happened this year, they weren't very forthcoming with the details. Give him reps the rest of this year I don't know why Wells had to get injured for this idea to come up. Wells is not the long term answer at C and was just clogging up the way for a young stud to get reps. Sorry he's hurt but glad he is out of the way.

Rhaney I really don't know much of anything about him except he is a 7th round pick and he got hurt. Not much to go on but apparently he has a good 40 time for a big man and he played at Tennessee St. Not a great building block.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The main point is he was a 4 year starter, with all the talent they had at that time he was never replaced. That says a lot.

With the way SEC schools recruit and all of the reports of some of these college athletes having trouble reading I wouldn't be surprised if Jones was the smartest guy of all of the possible starters and they needed someone to be the brains of the group, even if he was not more athletic than other options.

I am not guaranteeing Jones will suck. I am only trying to be realistic. Great college players fail in the NFL frequently, so it is not legitimate to site his college accomplishments as reason for so much optimism. So far Jones has not been able to show the fans that there is any reason to be excited about his possible contributions on the Rams Oline. I hope he can change that in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Draft someone more talented than Jones. How would any of us know who is better than a guy coming out that has all of those awards and that coach Bou apparently liked even with the Liz Franc injury??? They knew he was going to have some recovery time and weight room time to get ready to play this year. Whatever happened this year, they weren't very forthcoming with the details. Give him reps the rest of this year I don't know why Wells had to get injured for this idea to come up. Wells is not the long term answer at C and was just clogging up the way for a young stud to get reps. Sorry he's hurt but glad he is out of the way.

Rhaney I really don't know much of anything about him except he is a 7th round pick and he got hurt. Not much to go on but apparently he has a good 40 time for a big man and he played at Tennessee St. Not a great building block.

Early reports on Rhainey sounded promising. I recall JT saying the coaches really liked what they were seeing from him. Lots of small school players make it in the NFL. Oline from high school to college is the hardest position to project and that is why studs like Eric Fisher and Jahri Evans are often found at smaller schools. The guys that are already big and fast in high school go to the big programs. But sometimes kids really grow in college and don't lose the speed while doing so. Many highly ranked recruits dont pan out on the Oline because they don't grow as expected or do lose the agility and quickness when they do.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The only reason I was excited about Jones was because I liked the idea of drafting a lineman and allowing him time to learn. It suggested that we were drafting for depth and the future which I like. If it works out then great but I don't feel comfortable going into next season with him as a starter cus he's an unknown quantity.

Rhaney I like but only because he came across very well in the post draft press conference. Seems like a really good kid but he's a 7th round pick and again I'd rather they just went out and used the 1st and 2nd picks on interior o lineman.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Early reports on Rhainey sounded promising. I recall JT saying the coaches really liked what they were seeing from him. Lots of small school players make it in the NFL. Oline from high school to college is the hardest position to project and that is why studs like Eric Fisher and Jahri Evans are often found at smaller schools. The guys that are already big and fast in high school go to the big programs. But sometimes kids really grow in college and don't lose the speed while doing so. Many highly ranked recruits dont pan out on the Oline because they don't grow as expected or do lose the agility and quickness when they do.

Eric Fisher is not a stud, and he doesn't come from a small school. Jared Veldheer (Hillsdale) is a much better example.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Eric Fisher is not a stud, and he doesn't come from a small school. Jared Veldheer (Hillsdale) is a much better example.

Fisher is pretty good and was a top ten pick. Wasn't he Central Michigan or something like that? Jahri Evans went to Bloomsburg U. Either way you get the point I am sure.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd prefer to stop rolling the dice when it comes to filling out the offensive line.

I couldn't agree more. I have been wishing Fisher would draft OLine first and foremost to ensure a good running game and protect the franchise QB. I get that he focused on the defense and that is the usual for a new oach on a failing team. But I still feel a few good Oline picks would have gone a long way in getting the offense going.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I couldn't agree more. I have been wishing Fisher would draft OLine first and foremost to ensure a good running game and protect the franchise QB. I get that he focused on the defense and that is the usual for a new oach on a failing team. But I still feel a few good Oline picks would have gone a long way in getting the offense going.

Well, he agrees now. He took one at #2 last year, and wanted to trade up to take somebody else before the Cowboys took the guy they wanted. I expect another fairly high pick on a lineman. It wouldn't shock me if the Rams moved down a little, got an OL, and picked up some other picks so they could draft another OL on the second day while still filling other holes.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Potential younger quality 2015 OL Free Agents :

C - Steve Wisniewski, Oak/Brian De La Puente, Chi

OG - Mike Iupati, SF/James Carpenter, Sea

OT - Byron Bell, Car/Derek Sherrod, GB

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Fisher is pretty good and was a top ten pick. Wasn't he Central Michigan or something like that? Jahri Evans went to Bloomsburg U. Either way you get the point I am sure.

Fisher is arguably one of the worst starting left tackles in the NFL. And Central Michigan is not some tiny school; they've sent out guys like Greg Jennings and Joe Staley. I don't even know where Hillsdale is, and Veldheer is basically the main reason why the Cardinals have dominated on offense.

But yeah, I see your point, Elm.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, he agrees now. He took one at #2 last year, and wanted to trade up to take somebody else before the Cowboys took the guy they wanted. I expect another fairly high pick on a lineman. It wouldn't shock me if the Rams moved down a little, got an OL, and picked up some other picks so they could draft another OL on the second day while still filling other holes.

I hope that you are right. Fisher and I don't see eye to eye.Protecting Bradford would have been my first priority and since OL is one of the longer lasting positions it made sense to invest in it first. I know he didn't totally ignore it but, the FAs he signed were both old and injured?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher is arguably one of the worst starting left tackles in the NFL. And Central Michigan is not some tiny school; they've sent out guys like Greg Jennings and Joe Staley. I don't even know where Hillsdale is, and Veldheer is basically the main reason why the Cardinals have dominated on offense.

But yeah, I see your point, Elm.

LOL forget Fisher. There have been others. I still consider C Michigan a smaller school compared to Alabama. maybe I should have said schools that don't get highly rated recruits. C Mich. rarely gets 4 star recruits. Bloomsburg even gets lower rated recruits yet they hit on OLine because it is a tough position to evaluate. And Fisher may not be NFL great yet but he was top ten draftable and still has potential. He was probably not as well coached coming from a lower teir program like Brian Quick.