RG-Whine Throws Team Under Bus

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Willie

Starter
I'm right here, I was on that ,and FWIW if that was the worst mistake I ever mad I'd be one happy MOFO, I wanted Suh instead of Bradford too, none of the three has gotten his team to the SB .
Thing is though HAD RG been drafted onto a team without the enormous ransom Washington paid, HAD he been drafted onto a team that didn't regularly have 30 beat writers with their nose up his ass like happens with east coast teams ,one never knows how much deeper his head would have been into earning the attention rather than having it showered upon him,and then there is the Fish factor ,IMO the Fish doesn't suffer diva's from the start and he wouldn't have had an owner fawning over him like a golden calf ready to fire a HC cuz he hurt his itty bitty feelings.

Griffin is to some degree a product of an environment and with a better environment he might be more humble , at his age adulation unearned can bring out the worst in a personality.
Thordaddy, You are probably right.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
The Washington organization, the league, and the media (ESPN) cultivated a culture where RG3 was the voice of the team. No doubt he is put in these situations time after time by the team and all those involved in an attempt to show that he is the standard bearer and the leader of that team.

What I don't get is why we have to call him names and disparage him the way we do. "RG-ME" or "RG-Whine" or whatever names, is here any doubt that if he were on a better team he would be much, much more successful? You want to talk about the bounty of picks the Rams received from Washington for him, those picks should have been players that would help him succeed. The cautionary tale of the RG3 trade shouldn't be "was RG3 worth it" or "who won the deal", the question should be is any player actually worth all of the players that those picks represent, regardless of who is doing the picking? I think you can safely say no, even Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck are not worth all of the players the Redskins had to give up to get RG3.

The thing that bothers me about RG3 and this forum is that we would be in a completely different place if we had a guy like him on our team. If you took the team in its current iteration and inserted a legitimate QB talent like RG3, we would be talking about the playoffs right now. The guy is a superior athlete, has amazing arm talent, is well spoken and good with the media, is a legitimate football star (something the Rams simply do not have), and he makes the Redskins relevant nearly singlehandedly. If 2016 rolls around the Redskins walk away from him, some team is going to be absolutely blessed that he fell into their laps. Personally, if the Rams and the city can suffer one more futile year at QB (cringe), pick the right guys to solidify the positions of need and sign RG3 in the offseason, he could be the one missing piece that takes this team from "up and comers" to elite NFC powerhouse.

But what do I know? I wanted Suh...
You lost me at the bolded type.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The thing that bothers me about RG3 and this forum is that we would be in a completely different place if we had a guy like him on our team. If you took the team in its current iteration and inserted a legitimate QB talent like RG3, we would be talking about the playoffs right now. The guy is a superior athlete, has amazing arm talent, is well spoken and good with the media, is a legitimate football star (something the Rams simply do not have), and he makes the Redskins relevant nearly singlehandedly. If 2016 rolls around the Redskins walk away from him, some team is going to be absolutely blessed that he fell into their laps. Personally, if the Rams and the city can suffer one more futile year at QB (cringe), pick the right guys to solidify the positions of need and sign RG3 in the offseason, he could be the one missing piece that takes this team from "up and comers" to elite NFC powerhouse.

But what do I know? I wanted Suh...

I disagree with this. He makes the Redskins suck almost singlehandedly. It takes more than a good arm and the ability to scramble and run to make a good QB and RGIII doesn't have it IMO. I think after 2016 he'll bounce around the NFL, occasionally having a good enough season to keep his career going. Heck, T. Pryor can do what he's doing this year, and you can sign him for 2 large pizzas. Now, if he ever matures and gets his head on, he might be something.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
1497683_784477208265636_8967764879467536236_n.jpg

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Thank goodness psychology 101 was on of my first college classes...Now I'm in a position to understand all of this...Astounding that the nature v. nurture argument can leak into a discussion of a NFL QB...Not so surprising I suppose, since this is just an extension of his life experience to this point...He may have been pampered earlier on (meaning he was predisposed for this mind set) or "beaten down" to the point that all the diva treatment lately has filled his head with delusions of grandeur...Either way I suppose he is, a t least partially, a product of the environment he got into with the Redskins....Oh no.. Though a topic for another time and thread, I must be flogged... For indeed I just uttered the dreaded name of the Washington football team...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
But wait there's more...
--------------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/21/gruden-says-the-clocks-ticking-on-griffin/

Gruden says the “clock’s ticking” on Griffin
Posted by Mike Florio on November 21, 2014

gruden3.jpg
AP

Two years ago, Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III took the NFL by storm with a combination of running and passing that kept defenses off balance and guessing all year long. Until he was injured while running.

Since then, an effort has been made to make Griffin more of a passer and less of a runner. And it hasn’t worked.

Now? Coach Jay Gruden sounds willing to consider having Griffin run some more as a last-ditch effort to make him more productive.

“It’s a production-based business,” Gruden told Albert Breer of NFL Media. “We haven’t won many games lately with him. We gotta figure out a way to get in the end zone. We just have to score. I don’t care how we do it. If it’s running the zone-read, I don’t care. Quarterback sneaks, I don’t give a damn. We gotta find a way to utilize him where we can get productive drives and stay away from negative plays and have some consistency.”

Consistency and the absence of negative plays could help Griffin rebuild his shattered confidence. Which Gruden may have further shattered while discussing Griffin’s shattered confidence on the record.

“His biggest thing, he’s been coddled for so long,” Gruden said of Griffin. “It’s not a negative, he’s just been so good, he just hasn’t had a lot of negative publicity. Everybody’s loved him. Some adversity is striking hard at him now, and how he reacts to that off the field, his mental state of mind, how it affects his confidence, hopefully it’s not in a negative way. I read Drew Brees said after a couple interceptions, ‘I’m never gonna lose confidence, I’m gonna come out firing all the time.’”

And then Gruden may have stomped the shattered pieces of confidence into powder.

“He’s auditioned long enough,” Gruden said of Griffin. “Clock’s ticking. He’s gotta play. We’ll see. . . . We want Robert to excel, we really do. But the last two games, it hasn’t been very good, anywhere. We gotta play better around him. And the biggest thing for us as playcallers, and for him, we just have to come together and jell with plays he’s comfortable with. That takes time. But we don’t have a lot of time.”

Griffin’s time could run out because of the backup who won two games before Griffin returned from injury.

“We have a guy behind him that played pretty well, and people are looking, ‘OK, he’s 2-0,’” Gruden said regarding Colt McCoy. “There’s always pressure on the quarterback to perform. And if you don’t perform, like any other position, somebody’s behind you pushing you.”

The way Gruden has been talking lately, maybe McCoy will end up pushing Griffin to the bench. Or maybe right out of town.

Unless Griffin pushes another head coach out of town first.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't know if he was predisposed to being an entitled baby, or if all of the attention/endorsement deals played a role in it. Guy came into the league and didn't do a single thing yet, and already had Subway, Gatorade, EA Sports, Adidas, etc signing him to mega deals. He earned more than any other rookie in NFL history before throwing his first regular-season pass. It's almost as if everybody was telling him he was great and maybe he bought into the hype himself. Why work hard when you're already an elite athlete? Seems like a waste of time (using that rationale).

When Jim Thome was playing for the Indians he had a license plate that was DBTH

Dont
Believe
The
Hype

He had it as a reminder to stay grounded

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OtFWell.png

Somebody else posted this on another site. RGIII scrambled out of the pocket and threw the ball away on this play...a play where every single WR on the field was open.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/2/

Gruden says the “clock’s ticking” on Griffin

Posted by Mike Florio on November 21, 2014, 8:07 PM EST
gruden3.jpg
AP
Two years ago, Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III took the NFL by storm with a combination of running and passing that kept defenses off balance and guessing all year long. Until he was injured while running.

Since then, an effort has been made to make Griffin more of a passer and less of a runner. And it hasn’t worked.

Now? Coach Jay Gruden sounds willing to consider having Griffin run some more as a last-ditch effort to make him more productive.

“It’s a production-based business,” Gruden told Albert Breer of NFL Media. “We haven’t won many games lately with him. We gotta figure out a way to get in the end zone. We just have to score. I don’t care how we do it. If it’s running the zone-read, I don’t care. Quarterback sneaks, I don’t give a damn. We gotta find a way to utilize him where we can get productive drives and stay away from negative plays and have some consistency.”

Consistency and the absence of negative plays could help Griffin rebuild his shattered confidence. Which Gruden may have further shattered while discussing Griffin’s shattered confidence on the record.

“His biggest thing, he’s been coddled for so long,” Gruden said of Griffin. “It’s not a negative, he’s just been so good, he just hasn’t had a lot of negative publicity. Everybody’s loved him. Some adversity is striking hard at him now, and how he reacts to that off the field, his mental state of mind, how it affects his confidence, hopefully it’s not in a negative way. I read Drew Brees said after a couple interceptions, ‘I’m never gonna lose confidence, I’m gonna come out firing all the time.’”

And then Gruden may have stomped the shattered pieces of confidence into powder.

“He’s auditioned long enough,” Gruden said of Griffin. “Clock’s ticking. He’s gotta play. We’ll see. . . . We want Robert to excel, we really do. But the last two games, it hasn’t been very good, anywhere. We gotta play better around him. And the biggest thing for us as playcallers, and for him, we just have to come together and jell with plays he’s comfortable with. That takes time. But we don’t have a lot of time.”

Griffin’s time could run out because of the backup who won two games before Griffin returned from injury.

“We have a guy behind him that played pretty well, and people are looking, ‘OK, he’s 2-0,’” Gruden said regarding Colt McCoy. “There’s always pressure on the quarterback to perform. And if you don’t perform, like any other position, somebody’s behind you pushing you.”

The way Gruden has been talking lately, maybe McCoy will end up pushing Griffin to the bench. Or maybe right out of town.

Unless Griffin pushes another head coach out of town first.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
OtFWell.png

Somebody else posted this on another site. RGIII scrambled out of the pocket and threw the ball away on this play...a play where every single WR on the field was open.

Holy fuck, he's looking right at Receiver 2. That's an easy twenty-five yard play right there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-gruden-has-power-to-bench-robert-griffin-iii

Jay Gruden didn't get in trouble for calling out Robert Griffin III earlier in the week. In fact, it might represent an organizational change in how Washington deals with its franchise quarterback.

According to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, the privileges that Griffin enjoyed during his first few years have now been eliminated. Among them: Griffin's wife being allowed at training camp practices when other player wives were not, as well as his family no longer having what equates to an all-access passaround the facility.

The bottom line is that Gruden wields the power here -- and even has the authority to bench Griffin if he wants to.

Rapoport noted that this is not out of the question. Griffin has not been playing well, and some around the team have doubts that he can ever reclaim the kind of success he had during his rookie season. In the meantime, the coaching staff will try and simplify his reads and give him some chances to be successful.

At the moment, this situation seems to be rattling off the tracks, while a key offseason decision on Griffin lingers. In May 2015, Washington will have to decide on an expensive fifth-year option for Griffin, a decision that could largely be based on his final games in 2014.

Will the situation be any better by then?

The latest Around The NFL Podcast recaps the Raiders' shocking win over the Chiefs and previews every other Week 12 game. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Bye bye RGIII, hello Colt McCoy?

Today against SF, RGIII had these stats in a 13-17 loss.

11 for 19 and 106 yds with 0 td's and 0 int's and a rating of 73.6. He was also sacked 5 times for -29 yds.

Please, no ... not until after we play the Redskins.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
This is ridiculously bad...I m
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/18/robert-griffin-iii-jay-gruden-washington-problems/

washington-story.jpg

Jonathan Newman/Getty Images

Gruden vs. Griffin
Washington coach Jay Gruden did not hold back Monday in a public critique of quarterback Robert Griffin III’s recent play. It portends deeper problems in the nation’s capital and could foreshadow the end of RG3’s run as the franchise QB
By Peter King

One word for Washington coach Jay Gruden’s public critique of quarterback Robert Griffin III late Monday: startling.

Startling because a head coach rarely, if ever, says his quarterback has “fundamental flaws,” with a performance “not even being close to being good enough” to expectations.

Startling because Gruden, in his first year as coach, has been completely supportive of Griffin to this point, with no indication that he was unhappy with anything in his quarterback’s repertoire.

Startling because Gruden had to know he would create a firestorm by being so publicly critical of Griffin—and because it clearly will show that the coach has a major problem with his most important player.

There is something more at play here. There has to be. It’s an underlying dissatisfaction with Griffin by his coach, not based on one game or one post-game press conference in which Griffin was liberal with his criticism of himself and of the team as a whole. Nothing Griffin said—including the quote, “If you want to look at the good teams in this league and the great quarterbacks, the Peytons and the Aaron Rodgers, those guys don’t play well if their guys don’t play well”—was really pointedly critical of his teammates.

A little self-unaware, in bringing up Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers, as if Griffin belonged in the conversation with them, which he does not, yet. That’s why Gruden’s strong and pointed criticism of Griffin is more than just a reaction to how the quarterback played on Sunday and what the quarterback said on Sunday.

I think Gruden doesn’t like Griffin’s preparation or his commitment. That’s what I took from Gruden’s comments. And I think what he said casts doubt on Griffin’s long-term future with the team. I haven’t thought that until Monday afternoon. When Washington owner Dan Snyder fired Mike Shanahan after last season, I saw that as a vote for Griffin over Shanahan. I was sure the organization still considered the player picked second overall in 2011 the long-term quarterback for Washington.

Now I’m dubious about Griffin’s future in Washington. It is more than just being 4-14 in his last 18 starts, or not being able to stay on the field because of injuries. I wonder, and I believe the team does too, if the faith in Griffin to be the franchise cornerstone is wise.

As Pro Football Talk reported Sunday, the team has until May 3, 2015, to decide whether to exercise Griffin’s 2016 option year. If exercised, he will be paid an estimated $18.4 million in 2016. So obviously, for the organization to commit to paying Griffin a huge number like that in 2016—two years away—the end of this season is vitally important. If Gruden, Snyder and Washington GM Bruce Allen are going to commit to Griffin next May, the next six games are crucial.

The next six games won’t matter much to a team playing out the string. But despite fans chanting for backup Colt McCoy to replace Griffin, that’s not happening. The next six games are too important to the long-term future of the franchise. Washington has to make the call on Griffin, and the last six games matter greatly.

If you missed it Monday, here’s what Gruden said about Griffin, speaking about his performance in the 27-7 loss to Tampa Bay, and about Griffin the incomplete player:

“Robert had some fundamental flaws. His footwork was below average. He took three-step drops when he should have taken five. He took a one-step drop when he should have taken three, on a couple occasions, and that can’t happen. He stepped up when he didn’t have to step up and stepped into pressure. He read the wrong side of the field a couple times. So from his basic performance just critiquing Robert, it was not even close to being good enough to what we expect from the quarterback position.

“Just take your drops the right way and throw the five-yard stick route when you’re supposed to and do the best you can. Sometimes he worries a little bit too much. We’ve just got to try to get him better. His frame of mind is in the right place. It just doesn’t come out the right way sometimes, but he wants to get better. He knows he has a long way to go to get better. If he stays on the right track as far as work ethic and listening and preparing, then he’ll get better.

“It’s his job to worry about his position, his footwork, his fundamentals, his reads, his progressions, his job at the quarterback position. It’s my job to worry about everybody else. And, yes, everybody else needs to improve. There’s no question about it. But it’s not his place. His place is to talk about himself, and he knows that. He just elaborated a little bit too much.”

Now that Gruden has Griffin’s attention—and those around the team feel Griffin pays way too much attention to opinions in the outside world, as though he has rabbit ears—the coach should use this time to reinforce that Griffin needs to become a better student of the game. He needs to study the game more, study other quarterbacks more, and work as hard in the classroom as he does in the weight room and on his body.

All players have different personalities. Quarterbacks too. Peyton Manning is relentlessly meticulous and picky. Brett Favre was flippant and often gave off an I-couldn’t-care-less vibe. But with the great quarterbacks, whatever their attitudes during practice and on the sideline, they are Commodes on the field. They are rarely surprised by coverages, and they dictate to the defense far more than the defense dictates to them. Too often Griffin seems to either be surprised by what the defense presents or reacts poorly to changes in the secondary or the pass-rush.

Griffin has to get better, and he has to get better under the gun, and it has to start in two tough venues: at San Francisco on Sunday, and at Indianapolis the week after that. In Indy, he can look across the field and see the man picked before him in 2011, Andrew Luck, who is miles ahead of Griffin three years into their careers. Some of that is due to Griffin’s two injuries—the torn knee ligaments suffered at the end of 2013 and the dislocated ankle that sidelined him for six games this year.

But some is due to Luck being far advanced in other parts of the game. Luck is rarely fooled on the field. He’s a tireless student of the game. He is the unquestioned future of the franchise in Indianapolis. Griffin is teetering in Washington. His coach has fired a warning shot. Now let’s see if Griffin responds like a franchise player.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/18/robert-griffin-iii-rg3-washington-nfl/

Diagnosing What Ails RG3
Is it the ankle? The knee? Or an Achilles’ heel: his inability to operate from the pocket? The MMQB’s film-study guru says physical setbacks can’t explain away Robert Griffin III’s poor grasp of quarterbacking basics
By Andy Benoit

griffin-storyimage-inline-800.jpg

Patrick McDermott/Getty Images

Locker room leadership can be overrated. How a quarterback really loses his team is by leaving receivers open on the field. This is Robert Griffin’s biggest problem, and has been throughout his career. What’s most concerning is that he’s leaving receivers on the field out of a variety of formations and against a variety of coverages. The common thread is bad mechanics and a poor sense of timing.

Here are some examples from when Griffin returned to action two weeks ago after suffering a dislocated ankle in early September. To a small degree, his struggles can be attributed to rust. But that alone can’t explain away his poor grasp of quarterbacking basics.

a-griffin.jpg

b-griffin.jpg

c-griffin.jpg

Griffin’s performance against the Bucs last Sunday wasn’t much better. While you can argue that his first interception wasn’t his fault, the second one—the Johnthan Banks pick-six—was bad. It came on third-and-6, and Griffin never accounted for inside linebacker Mason Foster after he dropped out of a double A-gap look. Foster was spying Griffin (not an uncommon tactic in that situation), and he saw Griffin staring down a short slant. That’s not great for a quarterback to do, but it’s not the worst thing on a quicker timed pass, either. Nevertheless, Jay Gruden surely addressed this sloppiness with Griffin on Monday.

Griffin, who has good arm strength, must play smarter from the pocket and protect the football. It’s especially important because the film shows that he can’t run anymore. There’s an underlying heaviness to his movements that could be attributed to the ankle injury. The quickness and acceleration with which he mesmerized crowds during his rookie season is gone. Maybe it’s only temporary, or maybe not. Given how Griffin played last year, this change could be linked to post knee-surgery rust, which, now nearly two years old, likely wouldn’t shake off.

This is ridiculously bad. I make better reads when playing Madden and I'm not even kidding - you see single high coverage pre snap and you've got a flood route to the sideline you should be keyed in on that almost instantly - post snap you confirm it and great you've got a first down....

What the hell is wrong with the guy when he can't make reads like that??