Redskins fans on McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Despite some of the negative comments the poll posted in the thread shows that fans wanting to keep him outnumber fans wanting him gone 73.2 percent to 26.8 percent. He must be doing something right.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/409531-do-you-want-mcvay-back-in-2017/

Renegade7[/paste:font]
  • The Franchise Player
  • Members
  • 8,867 posts

Posted January 1

It wouldn't shock me if someone offered him a HC gig, and you know what, they can have him. I'm not 100% pissed at the guy, but I do believe he just loves the pass too much to grow out of it. I'd like to keep the same system in place, but it doesn't seem like Jay is able to reel him in and coach to his talent, especially in the redzone, still forcing stuff. Someone even pointed out Trent being upset how they don't run to the left enough. I don't know about all that, but I wouldn't fight to keep McVay here. Not if we're bringing Kirk back.

Warhead36[/paste:font]
  • Ring of Fame
  • Members
  • 25,249 posts

Posted January 1

McVay has positives and negatives. I think he's a good designer of offense, at least passing plays, and we generally are able to move the ball.

But man his run game design is awful. Why do we always go jumbo 3 TEs and/or Nscitzhke as 6th lineman on run plays? Or the shotgun draws? Why can't we ever just do a normal under center 2-3 WR hand off?

I also don't think he utilizes the middle of the field enough, especially the seam routes. Reed should be a terror on those but its mostly just sideline stuff or something short to Reed and hope he makes three guys miss(he often can). And the redzone playcalling is atrocious.

I'm fine with McVay staying, but if some idiot team wants him to be their HC I laugh and drive him to Dulles myself.

Burgold[/paste:font]
  • Ring of Fame
  • Members
  • 14,770 posts

Posted January 1

I think McVay is fine and I'm okay with him continuing to grow and get better with us. I'd be shocked if someone offered him a HC position.

Bacon[/paste:font]
  • The Bruiser
  • Members
  • 9,289 posts

Posted January 1

No. I think a completely average football mind could get our offensive talent to produce. McVay calls the offense like he's playing Madden. Jump ball to DJax from the 1! 40 yard pass attempt on 3rd and 1! And when he does run, the designs are completely unimaginative, telegraphed or outright illogical. Chris Thompson up the gut in a jumbo package, yeah!

Taylor703[/paste:font]
  • The Field Goal Team
  • Members
  • 7,644 posts

Posted January 1

No. His playcalling is a joke. He doesn't understand the situation and gets cute far too often.

GregW8705[/paste:font]
  • The Camp Fodder
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted January 1

No. His playcalling in the red zone is atrocious. His playcalling on third down is atrocious. His playcalling in big games is atrocious. He is atrocious.

Black Market Bully[/paste:font]
  • The Cheerleader
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted January 1

A good offensive coordinator makes his money in the red zone.

McVay is too busy proving how "smart" he is to the rest of the league.

Get him out of here

LetThePointsSoar[/paste:font]
  • The Backup
  • Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted January 1

He's the one coordinator that I think has done enough he deserves the opportunity to keep getting better and improving his weaknesses (red zone, inconsistent play calling). On the other side of the ball, however....but I digress.

Posted January 2

yes, he needs to get the red zone woes fixed but aside from that he did a good job for year 2. dude is super young, did enough to warrant another year.

Taco Bell[/paste:font]
  • The Benchwarmer
  • Members
  • 897 posts

Posted January 3 (edited)

Honestly, even more than Barry, I want Boy Wonder gone. I navigated this season without posting much, mostly because the Cousins narrative this year wasn't as interesting as previous years top stories, but if I would have been part of that conversation, my incessant input would have been this... Cousins actually does worry me now a bit the way his arm strength and decision making looked down the stretch this year, but his positives are still enough where I'm fine with the tag or long term deal at whatever price, whatever. But, our redzone issues in particular, I would say were 80-20 Boy Wonder's fault. Doing the 1 WR do or die passes over and over and other dumb stupidity was on him, and not on Cousins. We don't have Julio Jones to throw to on those, we were throwing to Desean or Crowder or whoever. Some of that I think is him lacking the aggression and killer instinct as an OC and him possibly trying to appease personnel (cough Desean cough) and other dumb back scratching. And not sure why, but we never really seem to just blatantly attack matchup issues against other team's defenses, while it's literally commonplace for other teams to just do it because, why not, on a per play basis, who cares if you are letting the whole world see that a team's 2nd CB is garbage and worth abusing. He's too nice or something. Or too young. That's the whole thing with him. I don't feel like giving excuses to a guy just because he's new or young. I'll gladly take a 50 year old pizza eating cigar smoking NFL lifer over Boy Wonder and dealing with The Wonder Years of him trying to "figure it out."

-----------------

I just saw the reference to Trent saying he wishes they would have ran left more... exactly, that type of thing. It's almost like he didn't do it on purpose, as if, it's a crutch to rely on matchups... That's the whole purpose of the NFL.

ExoDus84[/paste:font]
  • The Dirtbags
  • Members
  • 3,265 posts

Posted January 3

Some curious play calling aside, he's done an excellent job. We had one of the best offenses in football. We did struggle in the RZ this year, but our offense sure as hell was not the problem most of this year. We played a first place schedule and a hell of a lot of good to great defenses this year, yet we still produced. I'd like to see some more continuity here, as he's been a big reason for Kirk's development.

rdskn4eva[/paste:font]
  • The Role Player
  • Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 9 minutes ago

Man the Redskins front office is so effing dumb

We've already lost the best offensive coordinator in the NFL (Shanahan)

Now we are about to lose the best young coordinator with McVay

Kirk will leave to follow McVay where he will have a stud running back and 0 expectations in a weak ass division

And the Redskins will have to start from scratch because Jackson and possibly Garcon will leave if Kirk isnt here so we will need to rebuild the Defense AND the offense.

I hope I'm wrong but this is what it looks like

Thanks GSM

Wyvern[/paste:font]
  • The Backup
  • Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted yesterday at 07:19 AM (edited)

I think the Skins will be lucky to hang onto McVay for two years.

If the Skins can develop a decent running-back group, and improve the trouble spots with the O-line run-blocking (Lauvao mainly) -- the Skins could have another powerful offensive attack. That would draw even more attention to McVay, for the inevitable HC openings in 2018 -- and he'd probably get an offer.

I hope we can hang onto McVay this upcoming season, and I hope that Gruden is already considering who to groom as McVay's successor. (I'm still wondering about how well Callahan would be as an offensive coordinator/play caller -- he's good, but seems to be more 'old school'. And with the Skins complicated play calling structure, it's been hard to determine how well Callahan might do for the Skins offense needing to compete vs. defenses designed to play under the NFL-2018 rules.)

Garcon More Wine[/paste:font]
  • The Special Teams Ace
  • Members
  • 352 posts

Posted yesterday at 08:20 AM

my biggest question would be who is more responsible for our offensive system, jay or sean. i like mcvay a lot and its clear the NFL respects his talent especially if hes getting HC interviews at age 30, but i want continuity. if we are running jay's offense and mcvay is just calling plays for it, then im not as concerned. if this is a specific scheme that mcvay is in control of, id try harder to keep him here.

our offense works, last thing i want to see is lose continuity there.
wilco_holland[/paste:font]
  • The Dutch Rub
  • Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 18 hours ago (edited)

You known what scares me.

This guy is 30 and impressed Cooley when he was his positioncoach at age of 24 or something. He is now doing great interviews. There is something special about him.

Let's say he gets the Rams job and becomes a great HC. This guy can then coach for 30 years easy!!! Thats just walking out our door.

Warhead36[/paste:font]
  • Ring of Fame
  • Members
  • 25,249 posts

Posted 13 hours ago

Coaching in LA is a different animal. That situation will eat McVay up. I don't think he's ready to be a Head Coach yet and will be an absolute disaster.

But hey, let them deal with it. I'd like to see what a more experienced veteran OC can do with this talent. I think McVay got too cute sometimes and didn't really exploit the middle of the field enough.
onedrop[/paste:font]
  • The Deep Threat
  • Members
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 13 hours ago

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:
I think McVay got too cute sometimes and didn't really exploit the middle of the field enough.

I never understood that either, especially when everyone and their mom was abusing us that way. Meanwhile he ran what amounted to a 3 yard out route that took a 20 yard pass at the flatest of angles to complete like his life depended on it.
rdskn4eva[/paste:font]
  • The Role Player
  • Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted January 4

Excellent pass game coordinator

Running shotgun on 3rd and 2 is pissing me of tho
justice98[/paste:font]
  • The Gadget Play
  • Members
  • 7,772 posts

Posted January 5

I'm fine with McVay, and feel he's an asset. Just stop calling stupid plays in the redzone.
Peregrine[/paste:font]
  • Watergirl :p
  • Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted Thursday at 02:55 PM

#3 in yards and you want to get rid of him. Oy. People dont know a good thing when they see it.

Plus, hes young, so hes making mistakes, which means he can learn, and get even better. Yes, hes messed up a few games, but, thats because he is inexperienced. Seriously, some of you dont deserve nice things.
abdcskins[/paste:font]
  • The Dirtbags
  • Members
  • 3,898 posts

Posted Thursday at 03:00 PM

Our offense was the best it has been in over a decade (2012 being the exception). Keep the guy. I think once we add a quality RB things will be even better. Kelley is serviceable but we could do much better.
abdcskins[/paste:font]
  • The Dirtbags
  • Members
  • 3,898 posts

Posted Thursday at 03:00 PM

Our offense was the best it has been in over a decade (2012 being the exception). Keep the guy. I think once we add a quality RB things will be even better. Kelley is serviceable but we could do much better.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some interesting things being said. Overall I'm willing to take a flier on the guy. A couple things stood out like the red zone issues (makes me hope we keep Britt) but the biggest thing that caught my attention was the LA is a different animal quote. Can he will he be able to handle the pressure that LA brings??

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IF some of these comments are accurate, McVay is all Pass and not very good in the rush Offence! How will he help Gurley in our run game!?!

Ram65

Legend
The first 10 or so were very negative. Too much passing and bad running.

Was it his offense two seasons ago that ran over the Rams with big sets?

Mummmmmm?????????

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IF some of these comments are accurate, McVay is all Pass and not very good in the rush Offence! How will he help Gurley in our run game!?!

One thing that I'm hopeful about it seems like he do a lot of power runs and that's what we are good at. I think he gets Gurley on track and use him more in the passing game

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In all fairness, mcvay hasn't had a gurley in the backfield yet. Maybe that'll help

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
A lot of those posts (to be fair I didn't read all of them, the first third maybe) you could transplant right over to a Rams board, remove any comments about success, and no one would know they weren't talking about us. Pass too much. Unimaginative run game. Not using a player correctly. Poor in the red zone. Sounds like the vent threads.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Remember when we used to nitpick our top offense under Martz? Sigh. They don't know how lucky they are.

I'm ready to get me some of that. Let's doooooo eeeeeet!!!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Some interesting things being said. Overall I'm willing to take a flier on the guy. A couple things stood out like the red zone issues (makes me hope we keep Britt) but the biggest thing that caught my attention was the LA is a different animal quote. Can he will he be able to handle the pressure that LA brings??

Red Zone we use Bryce Williams.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
In all fairness, mcvay hasn't had a gurley in the backfield yet. Maybe that'll help
Yeah very odd, some Redskins fans seem very delusional about their talent. How many undrafted running backs can one team have and expect the coordinator to have the greatest running game on the planet?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm thinking Gurley can help HIM....
Redzone concerns...not sure if it's McVay, or is Kurt maxed out between the 20's? Seemed like Reed isn't a red-zone type TE...Neither is their RB Jones....They get injured too much. I'd also blame Kurt Cousins....noodle arms and the redzone don't mix.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah very odd, some Redskins fans seem very delusional about their talent. How many undrafted running backs can one team have and expect the coordinator to have the greatest running game on the planet?
Living in Maryland, I don't know many rational skins fans lol

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Goff is a good redzone quarterback. I expect him to become a great to elite redzone quarterback. You can go to his college stats: 49-2 TD-Int in the redzone; or watch him this year in the redzone. Oddly, it seems to be where he has been most comfortable. No, his completion percentage isn't high right now, but redzone completion % this year at 49-47% was on par with guys like Carr and Carson Palmer. Not high, but not unthinkable. (Source: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/redzone-passing.htm). What we did see (just using the eye, here) was that when the field shrunk, he became more effective as a passer.

Aside from this, it remains to be seen whether the negativity around McVay's scheme and playcalls among these Redskins fans will be relevant.
A) He's not been hired.
B) We don't know who his OC would be and what effect that person's input would have
C) We don't know how our personnel and situation would affect his calls (assuming he's calling plays, which is a large assumption).
D) We don't know how he might change his approach, after reflecting on this year.

Anyway, I'd love to put up the kind of yards and points the Redskins were able to. I think Goff will be a better QB than Cousins by a fair margin. With these two things in mind, and especially if we can pull Wade to be DC, I can't help but be a little excited by the prospect of hiring this guy.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I have my questions about their concerns.

They had the #2 offense in the NFL. It's one thing to nitpick, but they clearly did something right. And they did it while playing a VERY tough schedule...

I'm not concerned.

Not the least little bit.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I just have a hard time picturing him as our head coach. Like the Redskins fans said, I think it's a long shot that we offer him a HC job.