Redrafting the Rams: 2005 to 2009

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If you can have anyone of these players who would it be?

• Logan Mankins

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Antonio Cromartie

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Darrelle Revis

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Matt Ryan

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Brian Orakpo

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Redrafting the Rams: 2005 to 2009
gettyimages-80849365.jpg

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/28/redrafting-the-rams-2005-to-2009/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 48 minutes ago

In this two-part series, we’re going to take a look at who the Rams chose in each draft over the past 10 years, and then evaluate who they should have selected. We’ll kick it off with 2005-09, then move to 2010-15.

The Rams have had some real swings and misses in the NFL Draft, so let’s take a look at the past drafts and see what we’d change.

2005 NFL draft
Pick: Alex Barron, OT, No. 19th overall

Redraft: Logan Mankins, OG, No. 32nd overall by the Patriots

gettyimages-455464142.jpg

Yes, if you remember the 2005 draft I know what you are thinking. How could you have a redraft and not have the Rams picking Aaron Rodgers? Simply put, 27-year-old Marc Bulger had a full commitment from the franchise and there was no reason the Rams were going to abandon him.

Barron flashed potential early on, but soon after he showed he was a liability, becoming notorious for having the most penalties in the league during his five years with the Rams.

Mankins on the other hand, went on to become a seven-time Pro-Bowl guard and even was selected as an All-Pro. Mankins would have filled a slot that was held by Claude Terrell that year, a rookie from this very same draft.

2006 NFL draft
Pick: Tye Hill, CB, No. 15 overall

Redraft: Antonio Cromartie, CB, No. 19 overall by the Chargers

gettyimages-156729152.jpg

So close, yet so far for the Rams. Yes, the Rams absolutely needed a cornerback. DeJuan Groce was not reliable alongside young up-and-comer Travis Fisher. Tye Hill filled the void on paper, but on the field not so much.

His first three years in the league were his only years with the Rams, and he tallied four interceptions, 16 pass breakups and 101 tackles.

Cromartie on the other hand? He started off with zero interceptions his rookie year and made Hill look like the better pick, but he came on strong during his second year with 10 interceptions. Through three seasons, he racked up 12 interceptions, 32 pass breakups and 119 tackles.

Hill’s career lasted just five seasons, Cromartie is still in the process of playing and has been a Pro-Bowler five-times as well as an All-Pro.

2007 NFL draft
Pick: Adam Carriker, DT, No. 13 overall

Redraft: Darrelle Revis, CB, No. 14 overall by the Jets

gettyimages-502623650.jpg

Another cornerback for the Rams, as an unfortunate injury to Travis Fisher came up towards the end of the 2006 campaign. Fisher would end up leaving the Rams in free agency and now the Rams had former second-round pick from the 2005 NFL draft, Ron Bartell paired with Tye Hill at cornerback.

Carriker was dreadful, to put it mildly. He finished with just two sacks and 42 tackles and didn’t last two seasons with the Rams.

Revis ended up being the best cornerback in the league for years, so clearly this was a debacle of mass proportions in 2007. Can you believe the Rams could have had a secondary made up of Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, O.J. Atogwe and Corey Chavous? The Rams blew this one.

2008 NFL draft
Pick: Chris Long, DE, No. 2 overall

Redraft: Matt Ryan, QB, No. 3 overall by the Falcons

gettyimages-107053713.jpg

First off, I’ll begin by saying that I love Chris Long. He was a classy, high-motor player, but lets be honest, the Rams needed a franchise quarterback at this time. Marc Bulger was declining fast and this was the Rams’ chance to change their future.

Long is no longer on the Rams, but had a nice career, even though it wasn’t worth the price tag it cost the Rams. He finished with 54.5 sacks and up until his last two seasons wearing the horns, Long had never missed a game.

Ryan on the other hand, led the Falcons from the bottom three teams in the league, to an 11-5 record in his rookie season. Ryan is a three-time Pro-Bowler, which is something Long never achieved once.

2009 NFL draft
Pick: Jason Smith, OT, No. 2 Overall

Redraft: Brian Orakpo, DE/LB, No. 13 overall by the Redskins

gettyimages-127883121.jpg

I didn’t like this pick from the start. The lack of production out of Smith made me dislike it even more. There’s not much more to say about Smith, and his tenure in the NFL came to an end after going between the New Orleans Saints and New York Jets back in 2013.

Orakpo could have helped out the Rams defense, as he’s a three-time Pro-Bowler, and to this point in his career has totaled 308 combined tackles, 47 sacks and seven forced fumbles. Bypassing on Chris Long the previous year would make this pick even more sensible.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just wanted to say welcome aboard. I really appreciate you posting your full articles here rather than just a link to another site. Good read too BTW.

Not sure a QB would have been a wise move on these teams - though it's hard to say. I'm not a huge Matt Ryan fan anyway. Maybe if we could have also gotten a Julio Jones type for him to throw to.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Of the players listed above I would take Matt Ryan "BUT!!" Not before taking Chris Long 1st!!;)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Darrelle Revis is my pick, and it's not even close.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh shit....I didn't know you were going there...I picked Logan...then you went and showed how we could have gotten every player...
I'd go Revis....maybe Cro....

But smith & barron were terrible choices.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just wanted to say welcome aboard. I really appreciate you posting your full articles here rather than just a link to another site. Good read too BTW.

Not sure a QB would have been a wise move on these teams - though it's hard to say. I'm not a huge Matt Ryan fan anyway. Maybe if we could have also gotten a Julio Jones type for him to throw to.
Thank you I personally like Flacco more for "Fisherball" but Ryan was realistic at #3 no way the Rams considered Flacco

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Of the players listed above I would take Matt Ryan "BUT!!" Not before taking Chris Long 1st!!;)
It's tough man but think Quinn and Orakpo on the same long with Suh and Donald!!!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Oh crap....I didn't know you were going there...I picked Logan...then you went and showed how we could have gotten every player...
I'd go Revis....maybe Cro....

But smith & barron were terrible choices.
Yeah haha there is another part coming 2010-2015. I will go down saying right now I was a major fan of Carson Wentz in December as my #2 overall player. I am a draft nut and was not a huge fan of Goff but I am ok with it. Since none of the 2016 class has played I kept them off and cause I would be too biased to my boy Wentz haha

tempests

Hall of Fame
2008 NFL draft
Pick: Chris Long, DE, No. 2 overall

Redraft: Matt Ryan, QB, No. 3 overall by the Falcons

The Rams had many problems in 2008 and replacing Bulger was not their biggest one. An aging, talent depleted roster, a dreadful offensive line and a locker room that was on the verge of open revolt against Linehan. Not an environment that a rookie QB could flourish.

Let's not forget that in 2007 James Hall led all Ram DEs with 2.5 sacks for the season. No edge rush at all. The Rams would eventually build one of the most formidable defensive lines in the game and it started with this pick.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Rams had many problems in 2008 and replacing Bulger was not their biggest one. An aging, talent depleted roster, a dreadful offensive line and a locker room that was on the verge of open revolt against Linehan. Not an environment that a rookie QB could flourish.

Let's not forget that in 2007 James Hall led all Ram DEs with 2.5 sacks for the season. No edge rush at all. The Rams would eventually build one of the most formidable defensive lines in the game and it started with this pick.
only due to hindsight of bradford's career. QB has been a horrifically bad position (no sh*t sherlock -- note to self) that needed attention a long time ago. if Ryan is picked, 2010 leaves Suh, McCoy, Berry, Okung as possible picks instead of the big misfire. drat and double drat!

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

Your comment gets to what I do not like about the article. There is no context in terms of what the Rams strengths or weakness were at the time of the picks. You really need to know what/how the Rams roster was assessed before they made the picks in order to substitute other choices. Very easy to select 10 years later players that turned out to be better after your original pick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice article and some good changes that would have made the Rams better. But these kind of exercises are extremely difficult to complete. You'd really need to go back over each teams draft for each year and modify their picks based on the previous years changes. For instance you have us taking Mankins at 19 in the first year which is a nice choice and most everybody would be on board with that. But how does that affect the draft for each round and all the teams after that. And how do the changes to the 2005 draft affect the teams draft for 2006 and so on and so forth. If we're looking to just make the changes to picks that make the Rams better than by all means this is great. But if you want to look at realistic options you're setting yourself up for a seriously long night(s) redrafting each draft and then assuming each teams win/loss stays the same so the draft orders don't change.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Always fun to go back a few years and see what could have been under the right circumstances.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Your comment gets to what I do not like about the article. There is no context in terms of what the Rams strengths or weakness were at the time of the picks. You really need to know what/how the Rams roster was assessed before they made the picks in order to substitute other choices. Very easy to select 10 years later players that turned out to be better after your original pick.
thats a fair point...Basically though I disagree slightly because it's not like I just picked a 5th rounder like say Richard Sherman or somebody. I kept this realistic as possible. Honestly at the time I felt Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco was the best option I ended up loving Chris Long but it led to us picking Bradford over Suh which I was against.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Nice article and some good changes that would have made the Rams better. But these kind of exercises are extremely difficult to complete. You'd really need to go back over each teams draft for each year and modify their picks based on the previous years changes. For instance you have us taking Mankins at 19 in the first year which is a nice choice and most everybody would be on board with that. But how does that affect the draft for each round and all the teams after that. And how do the changes to the 2005 draft affect the teams draft for 2006 and so on and so forth. If we're looking to just make the changes to picks that make the Rams better than by all means this is great. But if you want to look at realistic options you're setting yourself up for a seriously long night(s) redrafting each draft and then assuming each teams win/loss stays the same so the draft orders don't change.
Agreed. However I feel as though the team ends up being fine. I was going based off the rounds after 1 as well. Like for instance John Greco. Not saying he stays and starts because I know thats not what happened. I know that is what should have happened. It was rough and I totally understand the remarks, my thing is this. I only did the 1st round. I also did some heavy research to support my knowledge I already possessed on this topic. Tackle wasn't really an issue yet, Claude Terrell starting at guard? Yea, thats an issue. Mankins would have covered that and saved a years worth of plug and play work. I didn't like Tye Hill I actually wanted Cutler at the time of course I was a little one. I felt Cromartie made more sense and I was big on his height cause that to me was a gamechanger and ultimately a tiebreaker in deciding who to take. I hated the Carriker pick like absolutely wanted Revis that pissed me off especially after Travis Fisher left who I really liked. The Long pick makes total sense but I just felt like they neglected to ever sign anyone worth mentioning in FA and so I felt Ryan or Flacco in the draft made sense. I remember the draft they picked Jason Smith, I wanted to trade down and take Orakpo especially since I watched him face my college team of KU. I just couldn't take Smith I felt like that was dreadful. It always ticked me off how the Rams picked high when there was no big 'can't miss' talent but the Colts had one bad year and got Andrew Luck who is the best prospect since John Elway....

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Man you are a youngster 20 years old ? you were but a young child in 05', Welcome aboard @jakebogen95.
Keeping it realistic and in perspective I like your picks. We certainly had some head scratchers but also some guys just didn't play up to there expected abilities. I hope you are wrong about Goff but time will tell. Nice Job

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Man you are a youngster, Welcome aboard @jakebogen95.
Keeping it realistic and in perspective I like your picks. We certainly had some head scratchers but also some guys just didn't play up to there expected abilities. I hope you are wrong about Goff but time will tell. Nice Job
Thanks man always appreciate kind words! I actually hope I am wrong on Goff too but to me being right about Goff doesn't mean it would be bad. I think we got Matt Ryan 2.0 maybe Marc Bulger 2.0. Anyway here was my draft board if you are interested in where my draft geek head was at this season...

View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mgjWtlJ5tJkUthiaXVQzu-H2UKZv6lGKP21iANNNYMM/edit?usp=sharing

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
thats a fair point...Basically though I disagree slightly because it's not like I just picked a 5th rounder like say Richard Sherman or somebody. I kept this realistic as possible. Honestly at the time I felt Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco was the best option I ended up loving Chris Long but it led to us picking Bradford over Suh which I was against.

Not trying to hate but.... Ryan walked into an ideal situation. Vick had led the falcons too the playoffs and the only reason they were bad the next year was the dog fighting.(and as a had a high pick, the roster was top 7 to 10 in the league). At the time we had no supporting cast to elevate/protect Flacco that would make drafting him rational.

In terms of C Long, we took the best DE coming out. Problem was he was and still is a 3/4 DE. After we took Long the only DE in that class that matched or surpassed him is C. Campbell of the Cardinals selected at #50. Look for a bounce back year for Long in NE (I know it is bad form for this forum) but he was born as a modern 3/4 DE.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Not trying to hate but.... Ryan walked into an ideal situation. Vick had led the falcons too the playoffs and the only reason they were bad the next year was the dog fighting.(and as a had a high pick, the roster was top 7 to 10 in the league). At the time we had no supporting cast to elevate/protect Flacco that would make drafting him rational.

In terms of C Long, we took the best DE coming out. Problem was he was and still is a 3/4 DE. After we took Long the only DE in that class that matched or surpassed him is C. Campbell of the Cardinals selected at #50. Look for a bounce back year for Long in NE (I know it is bad form for this forum) but he was born as a modern 3/4 DE.
not hating at all good points