Ravens owner: Cut commercials to fix TV ratings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bruce2980

Starter
How about put the cheerleaders in less clothes?
How about put the cheerleaders on tv. I can't remember the last time I saw any without a huge advertisement banner cutting across the entire length of the middle of the screen. Advertisement needs to go!!!!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I always love after a score, they go to commercial. Come back, then have the kickoff only to go to another commercial. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I talked with some people at the networks that work with NFL and they all say that the thing NO ONE is talking about (read: refuse) is the possibility that the expansion of Thur night games has led to less competitive, interesting games and over-saturation.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Bisciotti is right about the kickoffs. I hate that you see a kickoff and it's back to commercials. That being said, all the NFL cares about is money and it's not like they are struggling to pay the bills. They won't reduce ads until the viewship dips to the point that they have no choice.

That's one of the biggest irritants for me...Score, big commercial break...Back for kick off to see the ball marked at the 25..More commercials...Unbelievable to me...

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Bisciotti is right about the kickoffs. I hate that you see a kickoff and it's back to commercials. That being said, all the NFL cares about is money and it's not like they are struggling to pay the bills. They won't reduce ads until the viewship dips to the point that they have no choice.

Hope the ratings continue to dip next season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are other reasons besides the infernal commercials for the NFL's popularity decline. In years past I would watch the Rams no matter how dreadful, but this year was different in that I tuned out for the last three weeks of the regular season....and my life was better. The NFL had better not get too greedy or else people may start doing other things on Sundays, and they might like whatever that is, better.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/...-ratings-shorter-games-fewer-commercials.html

Goodell said the league was considering a number of potential solutions to improve the pace of games, including running fewer advertisements and changing when they run. The league is also looking at ways to speed up video reviews by its officials as well as the time it takes referees to announce penalties on the field.

“We want to take as much what we call dead time, non-action out of the game, so that we can make the game more exciting,” Goodell said.

The league has expanded the number of games it plays on Thursday nights and overseas, leading some to speculate that the N.F.L. may be reducing interest in the game. Goodell said he was mindful of that possibility.

“Every game counts, so that makes our inventory incredibly valuable,” he said, adding that the league has to be careful not to saturate the market.

Goodell said he was aware of a surge of complaints that officials were botching calls on the field. He said the league was looking at how best to use technology to improve officiating without slowing down the game.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/27/nfl-ratings-decline-football-fans-explain-viewership

The NFL and the networks changed the rules and the conduct of the game to make it all about scoring in an effort to boost ratings and attract the casual demographic. And so these new NFL fans and fantasy fans only care about scoring. There is no need to watch an entire broadcast when all you care about is, “Who scored?”
----------
I think a contributing factor has to be NFL RedZone. You get to see every major play, and scoring play, for EVERY game and with zero commercials! Not sure why the NFL even allows it, but I would much rather watch RedZone than sit through a network broadcast for 3.5 hours—almost half of which are commercials.
----------
I think the elephant in the room concerning the decline in ratings for NFL games is the one element that has been touted for years as the reason for increased popularity of the NFL: fantasy football. Fans are getting to the point where they care more about “their” fantasy team than they do the actual teams.

With the rooting interest shifting from the results of actual football games to the stats compiled by individual players, the interest in devoting three hours to watching one game just isn’t there anymore.
----------
I really wonder if the problem might be that folks are just getting sick of how little football is in a football game. Commercial breaks constantly. After a touchdown, there’s nearly eight minutes where all that happens is an extra point and a kickoff.
---------
The game is being overofficiated. Simply tired of pass interference calls for marginal contact. The game is played on the field and should be officiated on the field and not in an office in New York by the suits.
----------
The product is unwatchable. Apparently the referees think we tune in to the games to watch them?
-----------
In its desire to hold the attention of the sports world 24/7/365, the NFL has created a monster where you can follow the NFL without ever watching the games. They have promoted themselves so well that you don't have to actually consume the product in order to enjoy it.
---------
The teams aren’t good anymore. Most teams are bad, and the ones that are on the fence are riddled with star injuries. The reason for the bad teams? The quarterbacks. Years ago, every game was winnable.

Every team had a franchise quarterback. Some were better than others, and some had bad games. But they were household names. Now the NFL has maybe six or eight bona fide stars, and a boatload of people who are awful.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other than a Rams game, I cant recall the last time I watched a Thursday night game.
Still though, these ads that we complain about seeing too much of? Well there's still a long line of folks willing to fork over the big $$$$ to have their commercial air. So as long as that is happening, its all good in the hood

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coach Belicheck is that you ?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
“It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that nobody wants to see two minutes of commercials, come back, kick the ball and then go to a minute-and-a-half of commercials,” Bisciotti said Tuesday. “I’ve thought that was absurd since I was 20 years old.”
tumblr_n26nuk3D451svlvsyo1_r1_250.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I find myself starting to watch games... depending on the action (in combination with commercials) I find a short task (60 minutes), pause the TV or just fast forward through the commercials after the short task.

NFL needs to fix this. I am a die hard fan. I can't imagine someone less committed trying to embrace that pace of action.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I talked with some people at the networks that work with NFL and they all say that the thing NO ONE is talking about (read: refuse) is the possibility that the expansion of Thur night games has led to less competitive, interesting games and over-saturation.

Are you sure their hearing wasn't impeded?

article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634x408.jpg

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Some bug-a-boo's not mentioned that irk me: Official favoritism to high profile players (Brady as an example), penalties (especially wrong ones) that change the outcome of a game, changing the rules to limit kickoffs and just the NFL's movement to limit contact in the name of "protecting players". In another few years this trend will lead to regular games looking like the Pro-Bowl.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Honestly, I'm tired of the "talk".

If player safety meant any damn thing, then when a defender obviously launches with the crown, he's ejected. Plain and simple. Take that crap out of the game. That Dupree hit on Matt Moore was so egregious that it's gonna be a thing with me for awhile.

I'm tired of whole franchises being submarined because one or two key players are injured with this garbage.

Same with dirty OL tricks. Call the blatant stuff and let the tacky tack stuff go. BE CONSISTENT.

Lastly... if we want to protect QBs? BRING BACK THE IN THE GRASP CALL. One of the reasons you have defenders slamming QBs to the ground and all that is because they don't want the ball tossed away at the last second to avoid the sack or potential fumble, etc. Actually protect the damn few decent QBs in this league by bringing back the "in the grasp" rule so that defenders can just get a sack with a wrap, even is the arm is free.

Might not make the QB happy, but it will beat the snot out of guys diving at their knees hard to knock them down...

Oh, and lastly...CAN WE FINALLY KNOW WTF A CATCH IS???

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah I hear that. What really ticks me off is when people know you're on delay and send a message that "doesn't give anything away" but still gives it away. Like a message of "you're going to like what happens at mid field" or "Why do they give 10 yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 8?"

That is funny. I don't have any of those calls. The biggest culprit for me is my 80 year old Mother. She watches College and NFL. She and my Dad like to talk to me about the games. If they call before I watched, I don't pick up or I make my wife pick up to filter for me.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
The Masters golf enforces a 4 minutes of commercial time per hour from their advertisers - IBM and Exxon and AT&T and Mercedes Benz

I would suggest the NFL could do the same with their advertisers