Rating the NFL draft prospects: Wide receivers and tight ends

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ers-and-tight-ends-b99485878z1-301009311.html

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top wide receivers and tight ends in the draft next week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash and projected round.

WIDE RECEIVERS
1. AMARI COOPER, Alabama (6-1, 210, 4.35, 1): Third-year junior. "Reggie Wayne has always been under the radar as being a great receiver," one scout said. "That's Cooper. Makes plays. Get open. Difficult to bring down. Not because he's strong, but because he has a knack and can make a subtle move." Three-year starter with 228 catches for 3,463 yards (15.2-yard average) and 31 touchdowns. "I think he's better than Torry Holt, Roddy White," another scout said. "Very smooth and very polished." Not as flamboyant as Sammy Watkins from a year ago but more consistent. "He plays tough," a third scout said. "He's just not I guess the modern prototype now because of the size." Played at Miami Northwestern High with Teddy Bridgewater. Scored 21 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting after breaking the Southeastern Conference record for single-season receptions with 124 in 2014.

2. KEVIN WHITE, West Virginia (6-2½, 214, 4.30, 1): "There's not one thing wrong with Kevin White," said one scout. After two junior-college seasons, he had a tame 35-reception campaign in 2013 before exploding in '14 with 109 for 1,447 (13.3) and 10 TDs. "Last year they couldn't cover Mike Evans," another scout said. "This guy falls into that category. Fun player to watch. I'd love to know how many penalties he drew." Loves talking trash, physical and strong (tied for the WR lead in the bench press with 23 reps). Compared by various scouts to Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Julio Jones. Stunned scouts with a blazing 40 at the combine. "He wasn't really on the map at the beginning of the year," a third scout said. "He's skyrocketed. He's not in the league of a Calvin Johnson or a Larry Fitzgerald. Not as nifty as Amari Cooper. But he's going to be a good starter." From Plainfield, N.J.

3. DeVANTE PARKER, Louisville (6-2½, 211, 4.42, 1): Recruited by Kentucky to play basketball out of Louisville Ballard High. "He probably could have played there," said one scout. "Smooth, athletic, adjusts on the deep ball well. But he got nicked up." Suffered a broken foot in late August and missed seven games. "He's been hurt a lot and hasn't had as much production as these other guys," another scout said. "He's big and really good after the catch. He's a very quiet type of kid so I think people have some concern for his mental, which is a big thing for wideouts." Wonderlic of 15. Finished with 156 catches for 2,775 (17.8) and 33 TDs. "A little soft," said a third scout. Added a fourth: "Thing that worries me, first play of the Florida State game he catches an up and he turned to look to see where the DBs are and gets caught. Well, the fast guys don't look. They just catch the ball and run."

4. NELSON AGHOLOR, Southern California (6-0, 196, 4.40, 1-2):Third-year junior. "He's kind of like Jeremy Maclin," one scout said. "He can play both (outside and slot). His best things are versatility and route running. You wish he was bigger, but besides that he's pretty solid." Nigerian; moved to the U.S at 5. "Very similar to Marquise Lee," a second scout said. "Slender build. Good speed, not special speed." Started for two years, finished with 178 catches for 2,572 (14.4) and 20 TDs. "(Randall) Cobb might be a little bit stronger, but it's the same quickness," a third scout said. "He makes people miss. Just skinny." Said a fourth scout: "He's OK. Gets pushed around."

5. BRESHAD PERRIMAN, Central Florida (6-2, 212, 4.27, 1-2): His father, Brett, caught 525 passes in a 10-year career spent mostly with Detroit. He was 5-9, 180. "Totally different from his dad," one scout said. "His dad was really quick. This guy is bigger. You don't see the speed he ran. This guy doesn't run routes. He has a rough time against press because he's not quick and he's tight. I see a straight-line speed guy." Third-year junior with 115 catches for 2,243 (19.5) and 16 TDs. "He plays fast, he plays big and I like him," a third scout said. "It's a little surprising given the dad that he's not a better route runner." Two-year starter from Lithonia, Ga. "Hands were very iffy this year," said a fourth scout. "He has a big up side but obviously a lower floor because he has inconsistencies catching. He really just hasn't put it all together yet."

6. JAELEN STRONG, Arizona State (6-2½, 218, 4.43, 1-2): Fourth-year junior spent two years in junior college before arriving in Tempe. "Reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald except he's faster," said one scout. "People can't cover him on the back shoulders and fades because he has amazing talent to leap like Fitzgerald had. He's excellent ball tracking, hands, jumping, in traffic. Became a star playing with a very average quarterback. I thought he'd run 4.55. It shocked me." Scored the highest on the Wonderlic (22) of the top 12 WRs. "A big, physical, jump-ball type receiver," another scout said. "He can outsize defensive backs and is good with the ball in his hand. Limited as a route runner." Played late in the season with a wrist injury that has led one team to reject him medically. Finished with 157 catches for 2,287 (14.6) and 17 TDs. "If you watch him play, he looks more like a possession guy," a third scout said. "I don't see the great fanfare in his play. He's adequate. I don't think he's sensational." From Philadelphia.

7. DORIAL GREEN-BECKHAM, Oklahoma (6-5, 236, 4.46, 1-2):Third-year junior kicked out of Missouri after two seasons before spending a practice-only year under Sooners coach Bob Stoops. "He's not the freak athlete like Calvin Johnson," one scout said. "He's longer than Demaryius Thomas. Huge threat in the red zone. Oklahoma had to hold him out of some drills because he was just dominating practices. He was (abusing) their starters, It wasn't even close." Caught 28 passes as a pure freshman in 2012, then ran No. 2 behind NFL free agent L'Damian Washington in '13. Finished with 87 receptions for 1,278 (14.7) and 17 TDs. "He's so big and so fast," another scout said. "There's just a lot of unknowns with him. He's a train wreck." Small hands (9). Poorest vertical jump (33½) of top 25 WRs. Multiple character issues vex teams. "He's as talented as anybody in the group but I wouldn't draft him," a third scout said. "The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. He could become Josh Gordon. He's going to be a hit immediately for whoever drafts him and then he's going to be a problem." Wonderlic of 20.

8. DEVIN FUNCHESS, Michigan (6-4, 232, 4.54, 1-2):Compared by scouts to Marques Colston and Jared Cook. Third-year junior spent first two seasons at TE before shifting to WR last year. "He certainly can do the tight end stuff but he doesn't want to block," one scout said. "Antonio Gates is like his (relative) and they had a big discussion about where you get paid more. He doesn't play as big as he should all the time and he's not great about catching balls in the middle." Finished with 126 receptions for 1,715 (13.6) and 15 TDs working with erratic QB Devin Gardner. "(Gardner) was awful," said another scout. "After you got rung up over the middle every damn game everybody would be a little timid. I don't think there's anything wrong with Funchess." Played three games near midseason with a broken thumb. "Michigan hasn't had any success with receivers," a third scout said. "He's got inconsistent hands but he can make catches. I wouldn't take him first (round) but I'd take him early two." Out of Farmington Hills, Mich.

9. PHILLIP DORSETT, Miami (5-9½, 184, 4.28, 1-2):Three-year starter. "He can play outside because he'll be the fastest guy in the NFL," one scout said. "There's nobody that fast. Better version of John Brown, who was a hell of a rookie for the Cardinals." He's just a bullet." Tremendous deep speed. "He may be a gadget guy but, boy, he gets on the DB's toes quickly," another scout said. "I mean, he is explosive." Finished with 108 catches for 1,860 (17.2) and 15 TDs. "Can play inside or outside," a third scout said. "He might not be a team's No. 1 ever but he's going to scare people because he can go." From Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

10. DEVIN SMITH, Ohio State (6-0½, 199, 4.39, 2): Three-year starter. "A really good stretch-the-field vertical type," one scout said. "Probably not as fast as Mike Wallace. Hands are average, route-running average." Averaged an astounding 28.2 on 33 catches (12 TDs) for national champions in 2014 but didn't play a whole lot. "You can throw him in there and he'll run by people," another scout said. "But he's not going to be an every-down No. 1 or No. 2 type receiver. He'll be a great gunner but a back-end (of the roster) receiver." Finished with 121 catches for 2,503 (20.7) and 30 TDs. "He needs some work, but if nothing else he'll come in and take the top off the coverage and be great on (special) teams," a third scout said. "He'll open up the field for you." Hails from Massillon, Ohio.

11. TYLER LOCKETT, Kansas State (5-10, 181, 4.35, 2): Compared by one scout to Dexter McCluster. "Love him," one scout said. "Extremely quick. Great bloodlines. He's not small by any means. Blazing speed, quick, good route runner. Strong hands. Abysmal quarterback play. The fact he got the production he did when opponents knew he was their primary threat was impressive to me." Both his father, Kevin, and uncle, Aaron, were top WRs at K-State. Started for 3½ years, finishing with 249 catches for 3,710 (14.9) and 29 TDs. "If he was 6-feet he might be the best receiver," another scout said. "It was a nothing team but this guy just made play after play after play." From Tulsa, Okla.

12. SAMMIE COATES, Auburn (6-1½, 212, 4.40, 2-3): Fourth-year junior with degree in public administration. "He is a great kid," one scout said. "He has worked so hard. He is such a positive personality that I think he might overcome the inconsistent catching. It'll kill him to drop a ball. He'll work at it." Strong (23 reps on the bench), athletic (41-inch vertical jump) and very fast. Wonderlic of 14. "He's stiff, like the guy the Raiders drafted from Maryland (Darrius Heyward-Bey)," said another scout. "Couldn't get out of breaks. Coates falls in that category." Burned Alabama for 206 yards in five receptions. Finished with 82 catches for 1,757 (21.4) and 13 TDs. His problematic knees concern some teams. "A JC kid (D'Haquille Williams) came in this year and was their top receiver over him," a third scout said. "But he runs by people in the best conference." From Leroy, Ala.

13. RASHAD GREENE, Florida State (5-11½, 180, 4.49, 2-3): Led leading receivers with 24 on the Wonderlic. "Smart, smooth, exceptional route runner, very good hands," one scout said. "He's like Robert Brooks." Rewrote the Seminoles' record book, finishing with 270 catches for 3,830 (14.2) and 29 TDs. "One of our scouts said he'll get picked behind a bunch of receivers but he might wind up having a better career or numbers than a lot who are picked ahead of him because he's so steady," said another scout. From Albany, Ga. "There's nothing special about the kid," said a third scout. "He's a pretty good football player but he's 180 and you don't see any real speed or quickness."

14. JUSTIN HARDY, East Carolina (5-10, 192, 4.56, 3):Former walk-on brings a try-harder approach. "I'll tell you what," one scout said. "If you want a possession guy that can play in the slot, he's got the best hands of anybody in the draft. He's like that kid from LSU last year (Jarvis Landry). Not as big, though." Set the FBS record with 370 receptions, good for 4,451 (11.7) and 35 TDs. "Plays a lot bigger than he is," another scout said. "Strong, physical, has really big hands (10). Knows how to use every element of ability that he has. He had a giant bull's-eye on his back every time he played and he still made plays." From Vanceboro, N.C.

OTHERS: Stefon Diggs, Maryland; Chris Conley, Georgia; Ty Montgomery, Stanford; Antwan Goodley, Baylor; Jamison Crowder, Duke; Tre McBride, William & Mary; Dres Anderson, Utah; Vince Mayle, Washington State; Darren Waller, Georgia Tech; DeAndre Smelter, Georgia Tech; Mario Alford, West Virginia.

TIGHT ENDS
1. MAXX WILLIAMS, Minnesota (6-4, 249, 4.84, 1-2): Third-year sophomore saw opportunity amid a woeful collection of tight ends and forfeited his final two seasons. "The confidence and the cockiness comes out because his dad's been through the process as a first-round draft choice," one scout said. "I'm sure they looked at it and said, 'Look, Maxx, this is the year to come out. You're the best one. Take a chance.'" Two-year stats were 61 catches for 986 (16.2) and 13 TDs. "He's easily the No. 1 guy," a second scout said. "He doesn't look sleek but I guarantee he can catch it, and he'll give you enough as a blocker, which sometimes you don't get from those sleek guys." Father, Brian, was the Giants' starting center for a decade. "He's one of those guys that jumps over people and stiff-arms," another scout said. "Real good hands. This guy will block, too." Wonderlic of 29. Hails from Waconia, Minn. "He's not a first-rounder," a third scout said. "He doesn't block. He's got really nice hands. He's got average speed. He's 4.8."

2. CLIVE WALFORD, Miami (6-4, 250, 4.75, 2-3): Played just one year of high-school football in Belle Glade, Fla. "He can block," one scout said. "He can get open. He can beat a DB one-on-one." Labeled as "probably the most complete tight end in the draft" by another scout. Improved each year, finishing with 87 catches for 1,299 (14.9) and 12 TDs. "He's a bigger guy who can actually run and catch and block," a third scout said. "The big game for him to watch is Florida State. Big hands (10¼), long arms (34), degree of toughness."

3. TYLER KROFT, Rutgers (6-5½, 247, 4.74, 3-4):Fourth-year junior. "He's a frat boy when you meet him," said one scout. "He's a very well-spoken, polished, a tad naïve. Very smart (Wonderlic of 32). He catches the ball. Really soft hands. And he's a get-in-the-way blocker." Two-year starter with 70 receptions for 901 (12.9) and five TDs. "Just a guy," said another scout. "He ain't got nothing," said another scout. "There are no tight ends. There's just bodies." From Downington, Pa. "He's light...in the (expletive) but he'll fight you on the line of scrimmage," a third scout said. "He's not a field stretcher. Been a little immature."

4. JEFF HEUERMAN, Ohio State (6-5, 253, 4.81, 3-4): Two scouts said Heuerman was only marginally better than ex-Packer Jake Stoneburner, his TE predecessor in Columbus. Played most of 2014 on a bad foot. "You didn't get to see all he was," one scout said. "He's got some strength in his upper body and he ended up being pretty productive as a blocker. Not a great athlete running routes. But you watch him work out and he can catch and adjust on the ball." Finished with 52 catches for 792 (15.2) and seven TDs. "Maybe by a little bit he's better than Stoneburner," one scout said. "He blocks a little bit. He's got some receiving ability. He does it all OK." Played high-level junior hockey growing up in Naples, Fla.

5. RANDALL TELFER, Southern California (6-3½, 250, 4.75, 4-5): Started for 3½ years as an old-fashioned style TE. "He's the best blocker of any of them," one scout said. "I like him because it's hard to find tough, blocking guys." Still nursing a Lisfranc foot injury and scouts won't see him run a 40 before the draft. Finished with 65 catches for 648 (10.0) and 12 TDs. "Good player," another scout said. "He catches the ball. Adequate athlete." Out of Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

6. BLAKE BELL, Oklahoma (6-6, 252, 4.79, 5): Started eight of the 31 games that he played at QB from 2011-'13, rushing for 24 TDs as the "Belldozer" and compiling an NFL passer rating of 86.5. Reluctantly accepted move to TE in '14 and started eight of 12 games, catching 16 passes for 214 (13.4) and four TDs. "By the time the season was over you could see he was a guy with up side blocking," said one scout. "His deficiencies (early) weren't from want-to. It was positioning and leverage and hand placement." Father, Mark, played six NFL seasons as a DE. His uncle, Mike, was a standout DE from 1979-'91. "He's got an up side," another scout said. "Really a big guy, and I think he'll grow into the position." From Wichita, Kan.

OTHERS: Busta Anderson, South Carolina; Nick O'Leary, Florida State; Jesse James, Penn State; A.J. Derby, Arkansas; Nick Boyle, Delaware; James O'Shaughnessy, Illinois State; Ben Koyack, Notre Dame; Wes Saxton, South Alabama; Gerald Christian, Louisville; Geoff Swaim, Texas.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
That WR pool is deep.

I don't know that I like him enough to draft him high enough to get him, but Devin Smith seems like a pretty good replacement for the Chris Givens role on this team.