Rams WR situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Plus, being in LA may not be good for a guy trying to get over substance abuse issues.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Everyone is learning the same new system. There's no better time to bring in a beast of a wr. We all saw the guy still has it in preseason last season. I'll be upset if the Rams don't make a play for him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Everyone is learning the same new system. There's no better time to bring in a beast of a wr. We all saw the guy still has it in preseason last season. I'll be upset if the Rams don't make a play for him.

I won't. The Rams know best what risks they want to take, especially when it might require a trade. If they want to take that risk, I am behind them 100%. If they don't want to take that risk, I am also behind them 100%.

People have said the same things each of the past two off-seasons. Yet, here we are still uncertain if this will be the year that Gordon returns to the NFL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when/if we trade for him.

I'm gonna LOVE it. I'm especially going to love all the tears in here. With these responses, I'm going to love it VERY much.
Why?
And who exactly is going to shed a tear?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can a player who's suspended indefinitely be allowed to be traded?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I won't. The Rams know best what risks they want to take, especially when it might require a trade. If they want to take that risk, I am behind them 100%. If they don't want to take that risk, I am also behind them 100%.

People have said the same things each of the past two off-seasons. Yet, here we are still uncertain if this will be the year that Gordon returns to the NFL.
Well said.
I would support it 100% as well, however I would hope we wouldn't pass up on someone else if that happened.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Why?
And who exactly is going to shed a tear?

I would shed a tear. Because that would mean EVERYTHING they're trying to accomplish by bringing in high character players, good on BOTH the field and in the locker room, is for naught. It would mean, in year 1 of a new regime, they've totally compromised their beliefs in an effort to get to 8-8. Which is why I don't buy it.

In addition to not playing football for some time, he's got a bullseye on his back. Not just from his team mates and coaches (and the NFL itself) but from "those types" who are hangers on. And "those types" usually bring a guy down. IF he plays again in the NFL he'll be lucky to last more than a full season.

He's already shown he loves the bud more than money or football. Way too much.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's already shown he loves the bud more than money or football. Way too much.

CPJbwU1WcAEcICF.png

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
But that's my point.

Considering it would be a career death sentence for his agent to outright lie about Gordon's state of sobriety, if nothing else, the AGENT isn't going to lie about Gordon. If Gordon isn't clean, then he just has to be honest and let him know that football isn't in his future, maybe ever.

Point is that his agent not only said he's clean, but that he's been living with him for a YEAR and he's ready to come back as strong as ever.

So, even if we discount his 2016 preseason where he looked dominant and discount his workouts where he looks as good as ever, it's awful hard to discount his agent in this one case because unless this agent is willing to lie, get caught in a lie and make no money, but also kill his career, then Occam's Razor via deductive reasoning tells us that he is telling the truth regarding his sobriety and drive to play.

So, yeah, I actually see this as having lots of parallels with Cris Carter in that Josh Gordon was on pace to SMASH the single season receiving record and his 12 game streak has to be the best of all time. NO ONE else has ever had 1700 yards in 12 games, iirc.

Since his talent isn't in question, not seriously, the only question is...is he sober and committed to staying that way.

Since it looks like that's the case, that's why I'm so pounding the table for him.

Now last year, I wasn't enthused as much because even though he looked great, he hadn't really done anything to show he was prepared to succeed. The fact that he did decide that he needed further and more intensive treatment shows his commitment to success on a long term basis.

And he didn't leave after a week or two. He did the full 30 days and then forewent his liberty to live with his agent and prove that he was serious.

There are no guarantees in life, but I think he's turned a corner. I understand those that don't.

But my point is this: if he has turned a corner and is as good or better than he was in 2013 when he blew up, he's got HoF level talent. Moreover, because of his past, the next few years and frankly, the rest of his career is gonna be at a reduced price because he can't afford the slightest slip up or he's gone forever. He can't even have certain cough medicines or mouth washes because of the alcohol. I think he recognizes the precariousness of his situation and that's why he realized that with so many pitfalls, he had to address his impulses and be taught how to manage in order to succeed.

Honestly, it's tough to overlook HoF level talent. And the NFL is different than MLB in that you won't see a Steve Howe type getting 7 chances. He's had multiple chances which stem from being young and having a problem. Even with that problem, he tore up the league. How much better will he be sober, dedicated and focused??? And can anyone say that Goff wouldn't be significantly better with both Gordon and Woods versus just Woods?

I hear any who says that this is fan stuff. That said, we're a team with an improving young QB, a definitely improved OL, a top tier RB that's itching to get back to his rookie form and improve on that AND room for a clear #1 which actually better leverages the talent of the other FA WR we signed.

We'll see.

I know Shanny was in Cleveland and the LAST thing I want is Gordon in a 9ers uni... that would SUCK. And don't think Pete Carroll won't be looking.

I just don't think Cleveland will trade him. Why give up on a possible HoF guy? They got tons of picks already and have waited for this guy to get his shit together. They got first dibbs. He ain't getting traded unless they know something everyone else doesn't.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Plus, being in LA may not be good for a guy trying to get over substance abuse issues.

"Substance abuse issues" lmao. Gordon likes pot. Pretty hard to abuse that.

I'd rather smoke pot for pain caused by physical contact sports than take whatever painkiller is prescribed nowadays.

After he's reinstated, I'd offer Cleveland a 3rd for him, without hesitation.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'd rather smoke pot for pain caused by physical contact sports than take whatever painkiller is prescribed nowadays.

Great that's wonderful. And that's also what got him in trouble. Regardless of what you or I or anybody else might feel he agreed to not do it because it violates the CBA and got him in this trouble.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive

Half of his suspension issues in the last two years have come from alcohol related incidents. Dude is trying to stay sober in a world full of pill popping, weed smoking, alcoholic coworkers. Add in horrible personal decision making skills and it's not a shock he can't seem to get right. If the NFL would have just let players smoke weed in the first place he probably could have had a successful, suspension free career. Sad.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Great that's wonderful. And that's also what got him in trouble. Regardless of what you or I or anybody else might feel he agreed to not do it because it violates the CBA and got him in this trouble.

Very astute observation.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Absolutely not, for regular guys. If you're playing in the NFL making MILLIONS that are at risk if you test positive, you gotta have a little sense to prioritize. Hell, play clean for 5 years and you can have you own bud dispensary. Priorities is all I'm saying and people who are immature, can't get them straight.......no pun intended.

You can't make the team in the tub? You can't contribute suspended from the club.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Once is a fluke, twice is a pattern, three times is a trend...More than three times???????

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, Gordon found a way because he ended up kicked out of two colleges, kicked out of the NFL, and in rehab. I don't much care what you'd prefer. The CBA is the CBA. Fair or not, he knows the rules. I'd rather have our players on the field than suspended.

You're absolutely nuts if you'd give up a third for him. Then again, people were saying the same thing last year and the year before. Why should I expect anything to change?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I just don't think Cleveland will trade him. Why give up on a possible HoF guy? They got tons of picks already and have waited for this guy to get his crap together. They got first dibbs. He ain't getting traded unless they know something everyone else doesn't.

History. They just don't want anymore interactions with him.

I've advocated for him on his talent.

I'll put it this way... I've got kids with the same issues, but thankfully not nearly to his degree, which is... his "I figured" is busted. Any statement he'd make in his head or out loud was generally wrong off the football field. The reason I've been more emphatic lately about his chances is that after looking really good in 2016 preseason, he realized this and did some intensive in-patient rehab to help repair some of that.

Even when looking at his 2016 preseason, there aren't 5 WRs in the NFL who have his combination of speed, hands, route running ability and best of all, his ability to adjust to the ball while boxing out the defender. He might be the best in the league at that bit.

I mean, when he gained over 1600 yards in 14 games, if you actually look at the passes he caught, FAR TOO MANY were badly inaccurate passes where it was solely Josh Gordon's catch radius that makes that play a great play.

Now, I'm not trying to be belligerent about this like @InnovatedMind (sorry, brother, but we're all just talking and your advocacy is a bit "in your face"), but I do agree that both his level of talent is undeniable, his ability elevates the QB he's playing with by a large margin and, as I've said repeatedly, it seems like he's turned the corner on his issues.

Josh Gordon is EXACTLY the kind of next level of talent that the Patriots will send a 5th or 6th rounder for and use him and his superlative talents to win another Championship while the rest of the league says, "who knew?"

Sorry. It's just not that hard to figure out. If he's as squared away as his agent says, (and again, it would be career suicide for both the agent and Gordon if his agent were lying about his sobriety and seriousness about Football), then it's incumbent on teams to take advantage of this.

The Patriots are constantly taking advantage of stuff like this. Heck, they picked up Michael Floyd from AZ and while he wasn't fully in the mix, he threw some excellent blocks and contributed to their run. People said Randy Moss was done or at the very least wasn't worth the heartache and he had a record setting year with the Pats.

I'm done...done, done, done with the Pats being the only team that takes advantage of prime opportunities. IF... IF Gordon is squared away like it seems (and I know many don't buy it and that's fine), but IF he's squared away, he's the kind of difference maker that Goff in his second year and his first in this new offense would desperately need to gain the confidence he needs to become the franchise QB he can be.

Woods is very good, but the combo of Woods and Gordon for our young QB would be next level. Add in Tavon, Higbee, Cooper and let's not forget Gurley and Goff would have all the weapons he needs AND an offense in which to fully utilize them.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Cris Carter games missed by suspension:

Apples and Oranges. If Cris Carter was a rookie in 2012, he'd have been an entirely different case. The team was able to keep his substance abuse problems secret back then. That would NEVER happen now and Carter might not have been able to resurrect his career with the additional testing in which he almost certainly would have been popped at least once as well as due to his substance of choice. The idea that someone doing as many drugs as Carter was and NOT getting popped in 2012 or later just doesn't pass any test, smell or otherwise.

Secondly, Gordon has made some dumb mistakes, but they weren't for weed.

He got popped for a cough syrup his doctor PRESCRIBED, but it had codeine in it. Young, poor kids who haven't had access to medical care simply don't know about things like that. That's not an excuse, but it's just what is. He knows he should have known, but I question how. Gordon is right that at the very least, he has to be responsible for everything he puts into his body, so if he doesn't know what it is, he has to take responsibility to ASK.

He also got popped for alcohol after the season ended. Now, based on what I can surmise, he was banned from having any alcohol during the season. The issue seems to be that Gordon thought the season ended on the last game of his team's season, NOT the last day of the "league year". I thought he had two beers, but he had two beers and two drinks.

He hasn't had a single positive test for MJ while a pro. So anyone who thinks weed is his issue simply doesn't have the facts.

I think, and I could be wrong, but I think that he went to treatment to really come to terms with his draw to alchohol, NOT anything to do with weed. Plenty here can attest to how alcohol can creep up on you. It's not like crack where you're addicted day one. Moreover, it's so socially acceptable that by the time a person realizes it's a problem, that person is pretty deep in it.

I wouldn't be advocating him, most likely, if he hadn't gotten the additional treatment. THAT to me shows his level of seriousness to get right.

Plenty with plenty of talent have done the minimum to get back only to have maybe a little to no success and then blow their last chance.

It seems now that Gordon won't find out his fate until after the Draft. And that's fine. It will be what it will be.

I just think that he's the level of difference maker (his talent is easily up there with Julio Jones and Green) that would be like the Michael Irvin to our Troy Aikman.

Moreover, if he's turned the corner like it seems (to me, anyway) and he's ready to be about football, then he'll be a cheap HoF level WR for years to come. He might not command any real money for the rest of his career. And he's got to know that.

Don't think teams don't know about his talent. They ALL do.

I think McVay is enough of a leader to either channel Gordon's superlative talent and guide him or determine that Gordon isn't ready to play.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Everyone seems to think it's so easy to rehabilitate talented players who have addictions, I'd rather draft a player that I don't have to worry about off the field and coach him up, IMHO, that is far easier than the latter...Dating a hottie that requires high maintenance and is always about the drama or dating another who you get into physical conditioning and buy her some new clothes? Seriously, which is easier?