Rams won almost in spite of themselves against Seattle/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams won almost in spite of themselves against Seattle
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c417f9a8-c603-534f-b400-a4193e399480.html

NFL studies show that when you’re minus-2 in takeaway-giveaways, you’re going to lose more than 80 percent of the time.

Allow a defensive touchdown, or allow a special teams score, and your chances of winning decrease all the more.

Well, all of the above happened to the Rams in Sunday’s season opener against Seattle, yet somehow they managed to pull out a 34-31 overtime victory.

“I think it speaks volumes from a patience standpoint and a commitment standpoint,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “We just never panicked. We kept playing. Tremendous efforts.”

With even just a little cleaner game, the Rams probably win by double digits. In fact, once Tavon Austin’s 75-yard punt return for a touchdown gave the Rams a 24-13 lead late in the third quarter, the defending NFC champions definitely were on the ropes.

Instead, the Rams ended up scrambling just to make it into overtime.

“The bottom line is we have to do a better job closing out games,” Fisher said. “At the end of the third quarter, we were up by 11 and we had them at second-and-20, basically. We just had some issues, had some mistakes.”

So the Rams have a lot to work on in preparation for their contest Sunday at Washington. But if nothing else, the fact that they were still able to defeat Seattle despite everything that went wrong makes the triumph all the more impressive.

The outcome was regarded nationally, and even by some observers locally, as a big upset. That wasn’t the viewpoint in the home team locker room Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

“That’s the thing about this,” defensive end Chris Long said. “We weren’t surprised that we beat ’em. The guys in this locker room expected to win this game. Maybe in years past (that’s not the case). But the difference is, this year we didn’t sneak up on ’em. They knew who we were.”

The Rams have now won three of four at home against Seattle since Fisher took over in 2012. So it’s not like this has never happened before.

“I think this team understands now that you just keep playing,” Fisher said. “I think a lot of that has to do with the entire group’s confidence in Nick (Foles) because Nick was all about that. ‘Hey, let’s keep playing. Defense, give me the ball back. I’ll put a drive together here, we’ll go win.’ ... That kind of attitude permeates throughout the team.”

Foles’ leadership attributes certainly have captured the attention of the team, and players on both sides of the ball have responded. But he was just as impressive with the physical part of his game, as impressive as any Rams quarterback has been on opening day in a long time.

To wit, Foles’ passer rating of 115.8 was the highest for a Rams QB on opening day since Jim Everett’s 120.7 rating at Tampa Bay in the 1992 opener. Foles’ rating was better than any Rams quarterback (with at least 25 passing attempts) in any game since Sam Bradford’s 117.6 rating against Washington on Sept. 16, 2012. That contest marked Fisher’s first victory as Rams coach.

On the other side of the ball, defensive tackles Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers were even more dominant in film study than they looked “in person” against Seattle. Coaches’ review of game film showed Brockers with a team-high 13 tackles; Donald had 11 stops, tied for second-best among Rams defenders with linebacker Alec Ogletree.

Defensive tackle isn’t necessarily a big “stat” position, which makes the totals for Donald and Brockers — career highs for both — all the more impressive.

“They both had great offseasons,” Fisher said. “They’re both talented. They’re both healthy and they prepared. They understood what to do. We had a really good plan inside with some stunts and things like that, and just pressuring their interior offensive line. Aaron — not taking away from ‘Brock’ — but Aaron really had one of the best games I’ve seen a defensive tackle play.”

While the fourth-and-1 stop by the defensive tackle tandem to end the game is the play most people are talking about, Fisher said the play before was just as important.

“We wouldn’t have been in that situation had they not on third-and-3½ squeezed and collapsed the pocket, retraced and tackled Russell (Wilson) to create the fourth-and-1,” Fisher said. “So both tackles on back-to-back plays made tremendous effort plays to give us a chance to win in overtime.”

Those were some of the highlights for the Rams, as was the play of cornerback Marcus Roberson replacing injured Trumaine Johnson (concussion).

“Made some nice plays, knew what to do,” Fisher said.

And the work of rookie offensive linemen Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein in their first NFL starts.

“They were sound,” Fisher said. “They played with a lot of effort. Neither one them played 60 minutes up to this point (in the preseason), and they both finished the game really well.”

But from giving up a punt return for a Seattle touchdown, to a botched snap on a miscommunication between Foles and center Tim Barnes, to some pass protection glitches, the Rams have much room for improvement.

“But it certainly was a reward for them for all the hard work through camp, and some of the negativity that emerged from our preseason games because of lack of points, and lack of production, and things like that,” Fisher said. “It was a great day.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: Players hear story of 9-11 survivor
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1525f8df-bef5-5665-be67-20707c063566.html

On Saturday, the night before their season-opening victory over the visiting Seattle Seahawks, the Rams heard a talk from Will Jimeno, a New York Port Authority police officer who survived 13 hours under the World Trade Center rubble on 9-11.

“We spoke at a function together (back in 2003) and since have stayed in touch and become friends,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Monday during his meeting with reporters at Rams Park. “We just thought because of the closeness of 9-11 to kickoff, that we reached out to him. ... That was pretty cool.’’

Fisher noted that when the final play of Sunday’s game started, there was exactly 9:11 left in overtime.

“I haven’t had a chance to tell Will that yet, but he’ll appreciate,’’ Fisher said. “It’s a tremendous story (and) a tremendous man. ... On Saturday nights, it makes no sense to get guys motivated and get them ready to play at nine o’clock at night, so we do different things at times. I thought because so many of those guys might have been 6-, 7-, 8-, 9-year-olds and not really remember what happened, it was an opportunity to close the history gap for them and expose them to what was, in essence, the worst tragedy this country has ever faced.

“Will, in my eyes, was a hero (and our players) got an opportunity to listen to him.’’

Jimeno was also honored during the first quarter of Sunday’s game. He and Sgt. John McLoughlin were the only two people to survive from under the World Trade Center after both towers fell. Their heroism and fight to stay alive was later portrayed in the movie “World Trade Center.’’

FISHER: OFFICIALS WERE ‘HALF RIGHT’

On the onside kick to start overtime, Rams rookie receiver Bradley Marquez alertly signaled for the fair catch and then caught the ball. And then the Seahawks piled on.Why wasn’t there a flag?“There should have been,’’ Fisher said. “It was incorrectly enforced. They got it half right.’’In the confusion that followed, Fisher tried to alert the officials to the infraction, but to no avail.“They just said, ‘We’re going to give you the ball right here. We’re not going to re-kick, so let’s go,’’’ Fisher recalled. “I just couldn’t convince them to enforce the penalty because they just wouldn’t put the ball on the 35-yard-line.’’

As it was, the Rams took possession at the Seattle 49 and went on to get a 37-yard field goal from Greg Zuerlein that would provide the difference in a 34-31 overtime win.

All’s well that ends well, right?

“The thing is, when have we seen that before? It just doesn’t come up,’’ Fisher explained. “I talked to (NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino) last night and he explained it and we were right. He said, ‘No, they made a mistake.’”

DEFENSIVE NUMBERS

The Rams had four players come out of Sunday’s emotional win with double-digit tackles. Michael Brockers, who made the fourth-down stop on the Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch to end the game, led the way with 13 tackles, including a team-high two for loss. Fellow defensive tackle Aaron Donald and linebacker Alec Ogletree each had 11 tackles.Safety T.J. McDonald finished with 10 tackles, with safety Rodney McLeod at nine. Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis and defensive end William Hayes had seven apiece.The Rams sacked Russell Wilson, maybe the most elusive quarterback in the league, six times. Donald and defensive end Robert Quinn had two each while Eugene Sims and Lamarcus Joyner recorded the other sacks.Defensive end Chris Long led the team with six quarterback pressures.Trumaine Johnson, who left with a concussion, had the team’s lone interception. Joyner, McDonald and Janoris Jenkins had pass breakups in the game.

RAM-BLINGS

In the wake of Sunday’s 17-10 loss to visiting Miami, the Washington Redskins cut kicker Kai Forbath and replaced him with former Florida State kicker Dustin Hopkins.On Sunday, Forbath made a 45-yard field goal and missed a 46-yarder.“We’re not making Kai a scapegoat,’’ Redskins coach Jay Gruden told Washington reporters Monday. “That’s insane. What we’re trying to do is improve our kickoff cover team and we’re trying a young kicker who worked out here extremely well today.’’Hopkins, who has never kicked in an NFL game, was selected in the sixth round of the 2013 draft by the Buffalo Bills and was set to start that season when he suffered a groin injury that put him on injured reserve.He was cut by Bills at the end of training camp in 2014 and was among the final cuts by New Orleans this year.

• Ex-Rams receiver Greg Salas was released with an injury settlement by the Detroit Lions on Monday. He was a fourth-round draft choice and was with the Rams in 2011. Clearing waivers with injury settlements were former Mizzou linebacker Zaviar Gooden by Tennessee and ex-SIUC linebacker Jayson DiManche by Cincinnati.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“I think this team understands now that you just keep playing,” Fisher said. “I think a lot of that has to do with the entire group’s confidence in Nick (Foles) because Nick was all about that. ‘Hey, let’s keep playing. Defense, give me the ball back. I’ll put a drive together here, we’ll go win.’ ... That kind of attitude permeates throughout the team.”

That quote says a great deal.