Rams Will Draft a QB Early....Balzer Reports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Nothing but speculative nonsense in this video. The draft cannot happen soon enough!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think there is a better chance of not drafting one at all, than using a 4th or better.

5th absolutely soonest and even there I question the purpose.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like Savage late and think the ready by 2015 comment is defeatist, predicting Bradford is not in the picture after this season.

At this point I am not sure he will last late. I think with so many teams looking at him and showing interest that at the very latest he will taken in the 4th. I could be horribly wrong though. Wouldn't mind to grab him in the 5th.

V3

Hall of Fame
What is this stuff about needing a QB to be ready by 2015?

It sounds like everyone figures they won't sign Bradford. Could it mean that they won't keep Hill? So they will need him to be the real backup?
I have a feeling they aren't as happy with Bradford as they've been claiming. It's just a gut feeling, nothing more. I really don't think the Rams will re-sign him. Who knows though?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm intrigued by Garrett Gilbert and think he would be a good choice in the 5th/6th. Good size at 6'4 220lbs with a good arm and is mobile.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's my issue drafting a 4-5th round QB...

How many guys drafted in these rounds end up being quality starters? Think about the hit rate. For every Brady and Cassel, there are tons of misses!

If Sam fails to stay healthy and the Rams want to go another direction, I'm not holding my breath that a 4-5th rounder is the option.

For that reason, why bother?

I mean, Shawn Hill is the guy who's playing in 2014 if Sam goes down.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664316/tom-savage

STRENGTHS: Big, tall strong-armed gunslinger who can make all the throws from the pocket, with a quick, fluid throwing motion. Could have the strongest arm in the 2014 class. Consistent drop exhibiting light feet to slide and move within the pocket. Senses pressure to side-step or elude to buy time. Leads receivers nicely on crossing routes, slants and out routes. Will drop it in the bucket. Impressive strength to drag or shrug off bigger defensive linemen and break tackles. Not an elite athlete but has a quick enough first step to escape the pocket with better-than-average acceleration for his size.
WEAKNESSES: Will overpower shorter-range throws that call for more touch. Passes tend to hang when he throws on the run. Won with arm strength in college, staring down his target from the snap without repercussions. Must learn to read and move defensive backs to create openings. Played only one year at Pittsburgh after a couple of transfers (Rutgers to Arizona to Pitt) and body of work is limited.

Savage is big with a cannon for an arm, shows nice accuracy to all areas of the field and despite his inexperience, exhibits strong pocket presence and poise. Look for Savage to ascend draft boards if he convinces teams his well-traveled college days weren't an indication of a lack of commitment. His upside could be huge.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/tom-savage?id=2543640
Strengths
Terrific size. Sets with balance. Easy, compact, high three-quarters release. Spins a catchable ball. Excellent arm strength to complete NFL throws -- capable of sticking outs from the deep hash or launching balls 60 yards on the money. Experience in pro-style offense. Smart and hardworking. Solid personal and football character. Has tools to work with. Team captain.
Weaknesses
Needs to speed up his clock and show better awareness in the pocket. Needs to quicken his eyes, expand his field vision and learn to manipulate safeties. Tends to stare down his target. Forces some throws into traffic. Erratic accuracy. Slow of foot -- not a scramble threat. Can improve play-action fake. Had some duds -- struggled against Florida State, Virginia and Virginia Tech. Mental toughness needs to be looked into.
Draft Projection
Rounds 5-6
Bottom Line
Big, inconsistent pocket passer who took a circuitous route to Pittsburgh, where he played a full season for the first time since 2009. Is inconsistent and in need of more reps, but has ample arm talent to warrant developmental consideration if teams deem his intangibles worthy of an investment.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
"Needs to speed up his clock and show better awareness in the pocket. Needs to quicken his eyes, expand his field vision and learn to manipulate safeties. Tends to stare down his target. Forces some throws into traffic. Erratic accuracy."

You can't teach some things at this position.

Processing information and accuracy is a god given talent.

Either you have it, or you don't.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have a feeling they aren't as happy with Bradford as they've been claiming. It's just a gut feeling, nothing more. I really don't think the Rams will re-sign him. Who knows though?

Well if that is the case then they best find a guy they really believe in and don't waste time picking him, because if they see something in a player that makes them think he could be a good NFL starter, then other teams will see the same things and he wont be available for long.

We will know what they think once the draft is upon us. IF they take a guy like Garappolo or Savage in round 2 then I would lean toward thinking that you are correct.

V3

Hall of Fame
Well if that is the case then they best find a guy they really believe in and don't waste time picking him, because if they see something in a player that makes them think he could be a good NFL starter, then other teams will see the same things and he wont be available for long.

We will know what they think once the draft is upon us. IF they take a guy like Garappolo or Savage in round 2 then I would lean toward thinking that you are correct.

I sure hope they don't look at Savage as round 2 worthy(or 3) .

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Needs to speed up his clock and show better awareness in the pocket. Needs to quicken his eyes, expand his field vision and learn to manipulate safeties. Tends to stare down his target. Forces some throws into traffic. Erratic accuracy."

That's true, but you can manufacture other things to help in that area. A pump fake, throwing with a clock in your head, a quick hitting offense, designing open plays, and having a really good offensive line.

Speeps

Starter
As long as the Rams can get McCarron, Murray, or Mettenberger, I'll be happy.

Alan

Legend
CGI_Ram with a partial truth:

I can't agree with the bolded part at all. Accuracy, whether it's throwing darts, shooting free throws or throwing a football is a direct result of practice. Along having the strength to get it to your target without upsetting your mechanics.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can't agree with the bolded part at all. Accuracy, whether it's throwing darts, shooting free throws or throwing a football is a direct result of practice. Along having the strength to get it to your target without upsetting your mechanics.

Tell that to Rick Ankiel... :sneaky:

:cool:

V3

Hall of Fame

That's only true to an extent. If all it took was practice, every QB in the NFL would be accurate. They aren't.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's only true to an extent. If all it took was practice, every QB in the NFL would be accurate. They aren't.

And I would have bowled a 300 game at least once in my life.