Rams vs Vikings '77 Mud Bowl Complete Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
Growing up in northeast Montana, every week we were force-fed Viking games via the TV station we received from North Dakota. My brother was a Viking fan and I was a Rams fan. This game was one for the ages. Although we lost, I still remember all of those players from both teams. Those were the good old days when pregame shows didn't last five hours and feature ego-driven ex-players and coaches playing Pictionary.

To pass the time until the games start later today, check out this replay of the game (complete with commercials) called by Vin Scully. Enjoy.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTm-Viq96vk

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
What a knock down drag out. That was a football game. thx for putting that up.

Never going to see football played like that again.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thanks for the Post! GREAT memories announcers like Phyllis George an Jimmy-the Greek, and I was in my early 30's and Newly married!!:D
PLUS great Rams players like Robertson-Slater- the Youngbloods- Fred Dryer and more! "Mud-Bowl" my kinda game!! (y)(y)

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was at my Grandmas in Laguna Beach for the holidays and it was blacked out there. I listened on the radio and couldn’t believe we lost because we were favored in that game. Thanks for posting, I’ll get to watch it 40 years later.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Watched that game in our TV room back when I was a kid. My step dad was a Viking fan. He was working though during the game so I watched it by myself. I was so disappointed after it was over since it was a game we should've won. When he came home later that night he had 2 ball caps, he put on the Vikings cap and handed me the Rams cap with a smile. He never talked shit to me, the worst thing he did was laugh at the Bobby Bryant blocked kick the year before because he couldn't believe (such a stupid play) was happening.

Yeah that's how commercials were back then, only 2 per timout plus 1 TV show preview. And they never spammed the same one twice in one timeout like they sometimes do now. (in case you were in the bathroom - here it is again!)

I saw the Rams bash the Viking's heads in a MNF game that same year, 35-3 and wish that game was on dvd or mp4 but it's like no one recorded it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
No desire to re-watch this epic disappointment ... especially considering that this same Rams teams had, weeks prior, absolutely shellacked this Vikings team 35-3 on Monday Night Football. Hugely disappointing loss.

Although I do thank you for your efforts :)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I would put the Mud bowl as #2 all time disppointing Ram loss next to the 2001 Superbowl.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW's I dislike Pat Haden immensely, no arm and for some odd reason, CR (Carroll Rosenbloom) loved him....Haden was the major reason for Allen getting fired in 1978, he really wanted Malavasi as Head Coach. Ferragamo was amazing, but because the Rams had Haden, they chose not to pay Ferragamo, who went to Canada and Haden was awful in 1981 and did the Rams a favor and retired.

Pat Haden will always be one of my least favorite Rams that had major playing time, former free agent Drew Bennett would be the other, but Bennett could not get on the field and when he did, he sucked.

Haden was like a cheap sweater after every wash, it shrinks.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
FWIW's I dislike Pat Haden immensely, no arm and for some odd reason, CR (Carroll Rosenbloom) loved him....Haden was the major reason for Allen getting fired in 1978, he really wanted Malavasi as Head Coach. Ferragamo was amazing, but because the Rams had Haden, they chose not to pay Ferragamo, who went to Canada and Haden was awful in 1981 and did the Rams a favor and retired.

Pat Haden will always be one of my least favorite Rams that had major playing time, former free agent Drew Bennett would be the other, but Bennett could not get on the field and when he did, he sucked.

Haden was like a cheap sweater after every wash, it shrinks.

Man, I feel your pain.

During my time in the Navy, I had a Jim Everett jersey, and old timers will remember that Haden and Everett wore the same number. Anyway, one of my shipmates, to bust my balls, always called it my Pat Haden jersey. Grrrr......

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
During my time in the Navy, I had a Jim Everett jersey, and old timers will remember that Haden and Everett wore the same number. Anyway, one of my shipmates, to bust my balls, always called it my Pat Haden jersey. Grrrr......

b5ed31bb53c54824c4e30af7ffacbc52.jpg
images

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I actually liked Pat Haden in 1976-78 and began to have doubts after that 2nd half 28-0 whitewashing by Dallas in the NFC title.

I never liked Jeff Kemp or Steve Dils, those guys were far worse than Haden.

But I never heard that Haden was the main reason for Allen's 1978 firing. The players revolted, Allen wasn't giving them water breaks in practice, among many other things. He wasn't getting along with some in the building, and after all the complaints Carroll dumped him.

http://www.lamag.com/longform/1970s-l-rams-dramatic-decade/

Last edited:

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
I actually liked Pat Haden in 1976-78 and began to have doubts after that 2nd half 28-0 whitewashing by Dallas in the NFC title.

I never liked Jeff Kemp or Steve Dils, those guys were far worse than Haden.

But I never heard that Haden was the main reason for Allen's 1978 firing. The players revolted, Allen wasn't giving them water breaks in practice, among many other things. He wasn't getting along with some in the building, and after all the complaints Carroll dumped him.

http://www.lamag.com/longform/1970s-l-rams-dramatic-decade/

That article showed what a total joke, fluke owner Georgia was.

Also watching that video, Pat Haden had a noodle arm.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Man, I'd love to have one of those Rams raincoats!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
As much as I put Haden below TJ Rubley In Rams QB lore, I have seen several throws at 65 yards+ and no wobbles. He had a gun, he like Goff, had to use his whole body to do it. I REALLY think he ruined the Rams, but it wasn't because of oodles of noodles, but inaccuracy. Where is LACHamp to let me know the truth on Haden? Come on down, you are the next contestant!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Man, I'd love to have one of those Rams raincoats!

Had one, well, a Ram Poncho....My Parents & Relatives were great, back then, it was not easy in New York to get LA gear, but they always manage to do so, it helped having a Great Uncle living in Southern, CA.