Rams vs Seahawks: Sounding Off on the St. Louis Win (CBS Sports 920)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
(Full read available via link below. Big thanks to ROD for all of the support):
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...eahawks-Sounding-Off-on-the-St-Louis-Win.aspx

By Shane Gray

Offensive Observations
*On Sunday at home vs. the Seattle Seahawks, St. Louis Rams quarterback Austin Davis put together yet another productive performance -- leading St. Louis to an impressive upset victory over the reigning Super Bowl champions.

On the afternoon, the de-facto rookie connected with eight different targets, going 18 for 21 with two touchdowns and a resultantly robust 128.6 rating. Through five starts, the Southern Mississippi product has impressively posted a rating of 98 or better on four occasions.

Although Davis went nine of nine in the first half and played well throughout the contest, it was his work on the team’s late fourth quarter scoring drive that defined his outing.

On the aforementioned drive, Davis completed four passes to three different receivers, including a throw to tight end Lance Kendricks that ultimately resulted in the game-winning score.

“Credit Austin (Davis) for the job he did,” head coach Jeff Fisher said in the postgame presser. “Our last scoring drive was outstanding. Those throws he converted, he kept the drive alive. I thought that the difference in the ballgame was our last scoring drive.”

*In addition to benefitting from enhanced pass protection via an offensive line that relinquished no sacks, a major key to Davis’ Sunday success was his willingness to take what the defense was giving him. On several occasions, tape shows that his downfield receivers were blanketed.

Davis, rather than forcing balls into tight coverage, adroitly read through his progressions and consistently hooked up with check-down options for a number of positive pick-ups. Those types of connections rarely make the highlight reels, but they kept drives alive Sunday and ultimately led to points on multiple possessions.

*While running back Benny Cunningham got the starting nod over incumbent Zac Stacy (who failed to get a carry), it was third-round rookie Tre Mason who did the bulk of the work toting the rock.
Mason --who was curiously left off of the active roster in the first four games of the season -- played well for a second consecutive week, racking up 85 yards on 18 carries while secure his first professional touchdown.

While pleased with his performance, the first year pro expects much more going forward.

“I feel like I had a great day,” Mason said. “There’s always room to get better and you know we’re going upward from here."

*Speedy wide receiver Chris Givens, who had been inactive in the previous two games, hauled in a key catch on the Rams final scoring drive. St. Louis caught Seattle in man on man coverage, and the fleet-footed wideout beat his man to break open and secure the 30 yard reception from Davis.

“It was a really good call by Coach (Brian) Schottenheimer,” Davis said. “We thought we’d get man-to-man coverage. Chris, with his speed, just ran across the field. I trusted it and, obviously, we worked on the play all week. When we needed it, he made a big play. That’s how you win games.”

Defensive Discussion

(For the full read and analysis of defense, special teams and coaching plus other notes and the new game ball feature, please click the link below. I greatly appreciate the support of Rams On Demand. Truly a class act of a Rams board)

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/STLRams/tabid/137/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/15080/Rams-vs-Seahawks-Sounding-Off-on-the-St-Louis-Win.aspx

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You're welcome, Alan. Sorry it took me awhile to get to this. Hope you are well.

Alan

Legend
ShaneG with a lot on his plate:
You're welcome, Alan. Sorry it took me awhile to get to this. Hope you are well.
No problemo Shane, it's good to be so busy. (y)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As always - love the coverage and the articles Shane. And appreciate the props you added in there. Looking forward to more to come.

Stu

ShaneG

Starter
As always - love the coverage and the articles Shane. And appreciate the props you added in there. Looking forward to more to come.

Stu

Thank you, Stu! Apperciate the feedback on the extra stuff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Aaron Donald: “Things are starting to slow down to me,” Donald explained. “I’m starting see a lot more things and its showing. So, that’s good.”
Thats scary. For the other team.

ShaneG

Starter
Your article was in-depth and put a smile on my face. Thanks Shane!

Two hopeful signs:

Tre Mason: While pleased with his performance, the first year pro expects much more going forward.

“I feel like I had a great day,” Mason said. “There’s always room to get better and you know we’re going upward from here."

Aaron Donald: “Things are starting to slow down to me,” Donald explained. “I’m starting see a lot more things and its showing. So, that’s good.”

Thank you, Prime Time. Happy to hear that you enjoyed it. Hope you are having a great week.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nice job Shane. Like you I liked the shovel pass too, who saw that coming........good play call down there and IMO it shows a lot of confidence in Davis because from what I have heard that's a hard one to pull off.

ShaneG

Starter
Nice job Shane. Like you I liked the shovel pass too, who saw that coming........good play call down there and IMO it shows a lot of confidence in Davis because from what I have heard that's a hard one to pull off.
It's certainly not an easy play... everything has to come together almost perfectly. One gets the sense that the coaching staff -- from Fisher down -- continues to gain confidence in Davis (and rightfully so)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I read this and feel a Big Wager( on this week-ends game) coming on!!