Rams vs. Chargers: Breaking Down the Rams Game Plan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ego-chargers-breaking-down-st-louis-game-plan

St. Louis Rams vs. San Diego Chargers: Breaking Down St. Louis' Game Plan
By Travis Wakeman, Featured Columnist Nov 17, 2014

St. Louis Rams may be just 4-6 on the season, but they have defeated some NFL heavyweights this year. Most recently, they earned a lopsided win over the defending AFC champion Denver Broncos.

In that game, the Rams used a power-rushing attack to put up well over 100 yards against the NFL's No. 1 run defense. When Denver had the ball, they pushed their offensive line around and rattled Peyton Manning all day.

All quarterback Shaun Hill had to do was manage the game. And he did.

In Week 12, the Rams get another opponent from the AFC West, but this time they'll have to go on the road to face the San Diego Chargers(6-4). The Rams are 2-3 on the road this season.

So, how might the Rams choose to attack the Chargers?

Rams on Offense

The Chargers bring a respectable defense into this game. Through 11 weeks, they are ranked No. 6 against the pass and No. 12 against the run.

But the Rams weren't intimidated by Denver's defense last week, so what would make this game any different?

In order to keep the pressure off of Hill, the Rams will look to pound the rock in the running game again. That will make Tre Mason a focal point on offense.

Mason is coming on strong, putting up his first career 100-yard game against Denver. He's also averaged 4.2 yards per run, and he's had a 20-yard run in four of the six games in which he's had a carry.

Against Denver, he ran the ball 29 times. While he may not get that type of work against San Diego, the Rams figure to lean on him as much as they can.

The Chargers can be had in the secondary as well. They've already released cornerback Richard Marshall this season due to poor play and placed another cornerback, rookie Jason Verretton season-ending injured reserve.

Hill made a quick connection with veteran wide receiver Kenny Britt against the Broncos. Britt looked like the guy who used to make big plays for the Tennessee Titans, catching four passes for 128 yards. He also had a 63-yard touchdown on a play in which he beat rookie Bradley Roby badly.

If Hill can get Britt matched up one-on-one against a guy like Shareece Wright, expect him to dial up another deep shot.

The Rams don't do anything flashy offensively, but if they can move the chains and play keep-away from San Diego, shortening the game in the process, they'll be doing exactly what they want to do.

Rams on Defense

It's no secret what the Rams defense is predicated on: a stout pass rush.

In the first few games of the season, that wasn't the case. But in recent weeks, they've been attacking quarterbacks and pushing offensive linemen around with a vengeance.

According to teamrankings.com, the Chargers give up 1.9 sacks per game. But over the course of their last three games, that number has jumped up to 2.7.

The Rams may have a target in this game as well.

San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers was shaken up momentarily after a hit in last week's game against the Oakland Raiders. His own teammate, Antonio Gates, told reporters after the game, per MichaelGehlken of the Union-Tribune, that Rivers has been playing with a rib injury for some time:

Not for once did I think he was going to go out of the game. I watched the guy play with a torn ACL. He takes some shots. He's taken some shots all year. For those who don't know, he's been dealing with a rib injury, a very severe rib injury, so he's been toughing it out these last three or four weeks.

He's right in the fact that Rivers is tough, but will that hinder him going forward? Will that affect his play in this game?

There is no doubt that the Rams will dial up the pressure on defense, but if Rivers is able to avoid it, the one player they need to track down is Antonio Gates.

Gates has long been Rivers' security blanket, but the Rams should try to match up against him with linebacker Alec Ogletree.

Ogletree has proven his worth in coverage in recent weeks, and he has an interception in back-to-back games. The most recent of those was against Peyton Manning, while covering a tight end:
---------------------------------
Nathan Kearns @nkearns12

Since Week 10, Alec Ogletree is graded by @PFF as the 3rd-best 4-3 OLB, and the only one positive vs. run, in coverage, AND pass rushing
-------------------------------
Gates has great hands, but Ogletree is much quicker, and he has good ball skills, coming up with eight passes defensed on the season.

Finally, the Rams can employ the same strategy against San Diego that worked against the Broncos.

The Chargers do have Ryan Mathews back in the lineup, and that bolsters their rushing attack, but if the Rams can slow down the run and be content to give Rivers the short check-down passes, then their pass rush can take over on third downs.

That will be the difference in this game. If the Rams can make some hits on Rivers, even if they don't get sacks, they'll be successful.

Mason and Ogletree will be the key players for St. Louis in this game. If they have big games, the Rams have a great chance at pulling the upset.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm going to predict another big game for McD and I also wouldn't be surprised if they put him on Gates fairly often.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
th
th
th

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Could this mean 3 mason TD's!!:D
That would be totally awesome. I was just visualizing the Tre(three in spanish) Mason...but i like your interpretation better!
Pound the rock baby. It's the truth for this offense.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Here's my game plan:

I'm going to line up my beer in a 6/6 formation. Six for me and six more for me.

I'll stunt around the wife by putting on work gloves and holding a rake as she's leaving to shop, throw a match on a barrel of leaves I had the kids fill the day before, and call it a morning.

I'll send the kids on an end around to the neighbors.

Then I go out for the long bombed.

When the wife returns, I strip-sack her.

Sundays are good.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Here's my game plan:

I'm going to line up my beer in a 6/6 formation. Six for me and six more for me.

I'll stunt around the wife by putting on work gloves and holding a rake as she's leaving to shop, throw a match on a barrel of leaves I had the kids fill the day before, and call it a morning.

I'll send the kids on an end around to the neighbors.

Then I go out for the long bombed.

When the wife returns, I strip-sack her.

Sundays are good.
Think I'll try that minus the rake, the gloves, the leaves, and I'll have the kid go to work. :D

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

When I first saw Mojo's post, I was thinking he was pessimistic about the upcoming game, that we better get drunk for this game. Those pint size Mason jars is how I usually received White Lightening back in the day. I much prefer the idea of the 3 TRE Mason TD's. Thanks to those following posts for straightening me out. (y)

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Well the Rams game plan the last three weeks has been to just beat the shit outta the opposing team. So hopefully that trend continues.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well the Rams game plan the last three weeks has been to just beat the crap outta the opposing team. So hopefully that trend continues.
For sure. Like Fisher said in the post game locker room speech, he referenced last week(vs AZ) and told his team "...keep doing what you're doing. What we're doing is right." It would have worked in AZ too...if not for the late game turnovers.

Go back to the SF game and they got punched in the mouth, AZ got a little beat up and Denver got plain ole knocked out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's just amazing what a BIG Win has done for the attitude here at ROD!!(y)(y):D:love: