Rams Upset Cardinals … OK, Now What?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Upset Cardinals … OK, Now What?

Posted by: Bernie Miklasz

http://www.101sports.com/2015/10/05/rams-upset-cardinals-ok-now-what/

More later, but here are some of my quick-hit thoughts on the Rams’ 24-22 win at Arizona that evened STL’s record at 2-2 …

— As I wrote here on the site Friday, this game loomed as a Jeff Fisher Upset Special. And it was. I didn’t think the Rams would win the game, but all of the warning signs of an upset were there, and I believed the contest would be a lot closer than many people expected. Fisher and his team thrive on these underdog challenges, and this was the latest example.

— As head coach in St. Louis, when Fisher is a 7+ point dog going into a game, his Rams are now 8-11-1 outright and 12-8 against the spread. When they’re a 7+ underdog against NFC West rivals, Fisher’s Rams are now 4-6-1 outright and 7-4 against the spread.

— This was a great win for Fisher, but it also causes frustration — at least for me. Why don’t we see these inspired, emotional, tough performances against lesser teams? Why do the coach and his players need this “Us Against the World, No One Respects Us” mentality to rev up their best performance?

— As coach of the Rams, Fisher is now 9-10-1 vs. NFC West rivals (.475 win percentage).

— Fisher has a 13-19 record and .406 winning pct. outside the division since becoming Rams coach in 2012.

— Well, hey there Todd Gurley … this is why the Rams used the 10th overall pick in the 2015 draft to choose the Georgia running back, knowing that he’d need time to get up to speed after completing a rehab from knee surgery. As I wrote at the time of the draft, this was a risky pick but I didn’t mind the Rams making it; I thought Gurley at Georgia was one of the most scintillating RB talents I’d ever seen in college football. What an exciting NFL breakout; Gurley’s 146 yards rushing were the most by a Rams’ running back in a game under Fisher. Until Gurley got loose in Glendale, the best single-game rushing total under Fisher, 139 yards by Steven Jackson, came a while back — on Nov. 25 of the 2012 season, against the Cardinals.

— And Tavon Austin, the wide receiver and scatback, provided the razzle to Gurley’s dazzle with six catches for 96 yards, two for touchdowns. Austin has 116 yards from scrimmage; it was his second-highest total as a Ram. In total (rushing and receiving), Gurley and Austin combined for 277 yards from scrimmage in this one. That accounted for 84.4 percent of the Rams’ net yards from scrimmage. More of this please. It brought back some pleasant memories of a special time in place, when Rams’ skill-position players just took over games. I think you know the teams I’m referring to.

— When the Rams make use of their two most talented and dangerous playmakers in the same game, it can be awfully tough. Give new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti some credit here; he’s finding ways to put Austin to effective use in ways that former OC Brian Schottenheimer never really did.

— When quarterback Nick Foles (more on him later today) targeted Austin in Glendale, he completed six of seven passes (two for touchdowns) and had a passer rating of 158.3.

— According to Pro Football Focus, Gurley led NFL running backs with four runs of 15+ yards.

— With Gurley running so beautifully and ripping up swaths of great yardage, it made Foles’ job easier — specifically setting up Foles for play-action passes. Foles was very good on the play-action throws during his 2013 and 2014 seasons at Philadelphia. And Gurley helped revive that element of Foles’ game. Versus the Cardinals Foles completed 6 of 8 play-action passes, averaging 11.6 yards per attempt.

— As for the Rams defense … They gave up a bunch of yards (447) and first downs (26.) But the unit did an impressive job of limiting the damage against a high-scoring AZ offense, forcing the Cardinals to settle for field goals on five excursions into the red zone.

— The Rams also sacked Carson Palmer four times. According to Pro Football Focus, Palmer had to deal with pass-rush pressure on 38 percent of his dropbacks. In addition to the four sacks, Palmer was hurried 10 times and hit once. Maybe it was a coincidence, but Palmer sailed two throws beyond open receivers on third and fourth down when AZ still had a chance to pull out a win. Did Palmer hear footsteps? I have no idea, and he’s a tough guy. But even the toughest quarterbacks can turn uncomfortable after feeling a couple of hours of pass-rush heat.

— If indeed if OLB Alec Ogletree is lost for the season with a broken ankle, it’s a tough blow for the Rams. He’s been among the team’s best run defenders this season, and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was coming up with creative ways to get No. 52 more active in the pass rush.

— A view of the Rams from the Valley of the Sun from Arizona Republic columnist Dan Bickley: “Clearly, the Rams had more edge. They maximized their opportunities, beating a Cardinals team that ran 20 more plays and posted twice the amount of first downs. They left Glendale with renewed optimism and a sense of vengeance. Worst-case scenario for Arizona: This is the kind of game and opponent that can haunt a season, especially if Todd Gurley’s coming-out party just changed the course of the NFC West.”

–– OK, the Rams went to Arizona and put a big win in their bag. Next up, at Green Bay. I don’t think many people beyond the boundaries of Rams Park think the Rams have a shot at winning in Lambeau Field, where the Packers have gone 38-3 in their last 41 regular-season games with Aaron Rodgers starting at QB. (In his last 16 games at Lambeau, including two postseason contests, Rodgers has 44 touchdown passes and no interceptions.

–– For the purpose of conversation, let’s say the Rams lose at Green Bay. That would make them 2-3 on the season. But after the bye week, the Rams enter a softer stretch of schedule: Cleveland at home, San Francisco at home, at Minnesota, Chicago at home. That’s when we’ll find out if the win at Arizona was just another Fisher-coached aberration — another division conquest that gets diminished by subsequent losses in highly winnable game. That has been the paradox of Fisher’s four seasons in St. Louis, with the Rams often rising to the level of superior teams, only to descend and give away games the lower-rung opponents. Fisher and Rams soon will go through another credibility check after the bye week. It’s difficult for me to start believing that this team will finish better than Fisher’s three previous teams if their baffling inconsistency and flattening of intensity surfaces again — leading to avoidable losses that prevent the Rams from establishing serious traction.

Thanks for reading …

–Bernie

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Now we enjoy this the rest of the week and hope these guys keep improving. There is no such thing as a softer schedule with the Rams. One game at a time, let's see a big W in Green Bay and ride that into the bye.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I actually made it through, reading the entire 'Bernie Article', with-out vomiting! I don't know how I did it!!
God, he always sounds like he's writing about someone he really hates!! (the Rams)

Name
Redneck Voodoo
As a Cards fan, I just want to say congrats. The Rams were the better team yesterday. While I may talk some trash on my home board (asfn) I will come here and be humble. If not the Cards, then the Rams are my team in the NFCW. Now go forth and kick some NFCW ass--except when we meet again. ;) Oh yeah, kick Greenbay's ass too. Carry on.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I believe we can win in green bay...and I'm way on the west coast....gotta get some 3 & outs...on defense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I believe we can win in green bay...and I'm way on the west coast....gotta get some 3 & outs...on defense.

Going to need the offense to help out the defense at Lambeau field, but IMO their defense has not been challenged so Rams need to control the ball running Gurley while keeping Mr. Rodgers neighborhood on the sideline! And check out my boy Havenstein!
635795861791807381-GTY-491340904-76491646.JPG

RamzFanz

Damnit
Now we have to win in GB just to prove again that Bernie has no idea who this team is.

dhaab

Rookie
I actually made it through, reading the entire 'Bernie Article', with-out vomiting! I don't know how I did it!!
God, he always sounds like he's writing about someone he really hates!! (the Rams)

It's called being cynical and he has every right to be, considering how pathetic this franchise has been for the past 10 years.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Oh, and Bernie, it's not an upset just because you had no idea what the Rams were capable of, we knew. We knew the offense was about to emerge. We knew Zona was beating on losers. YOU didn't, but that's what makes you Bernie.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's called being cynical and he has every right to be, considering how pathetic this franchise has been for the past 10 years.

Uninformed and cynical is no way to be a team writer. He is so unaware of what is happening with the Rams, it's laughable. A good writer would be able to apply his deep knowledge and make reasonable assumptions. He offers neither.

He thinks GB is next to impossible? Idiot.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Really you come on here and post about how pathetic the Rams have been? Is that you Bernie?

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
This clown looked for every possible negative statistic he could lay at Coach Fishers feet. If you did not just feel the animosity to hatred then you just missed it. bernie can you try and write from another level? Does the attack style have to be the only way to go when you yourself tried to take credit for possible positive thoughts in any of your attack scripts? Gurley would'nt be here if it Was not for Coach Fisher. Just like the drafting of Tavon Austin who is finally paying off in spades when Fisher said before the season we were getting him the ball more and the so far Great hire of Cignetti that has us adjusting early and often.

bern its time you started offering as many offerings of positive comments. Coach Fisher (GLADLY) is going NOWHERE! This team is begining to Gel on the OL and at WR and the MOB SQUAD is bringing the pain and its game changing stuff to opposing QB's. You mentioned none of this and there is lots more GOOD to say. Just wait till Brian Quick is added to the mix and we add a few other wrinkles you can't dream up thinking so negatively. Jaba you need to change lanes and hang a U turn. Your gonna get left in the dust.

NO INJURIES!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going to need the offense to help out the defense at Lambeau field, but IMO their defense has not been challenged so Rams need to control the ball running Gurley while keeping Mr. Rodgers neighborhood on the sideline! And check out my boy Havenstein!
635795861791807381-GTY-491340904-76491646.JPG

Is it me or is all that running starting to slim him down? :LOL:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can run on anybody....Check out Cigs masterpiece this weekend den-da-coach....He'll probably use mason a lil more...I see 350 combined...

I don't even need to see 350 tbh. It would be amazing and all, but just want to see what I saw in that fourth quarter: an offensive identity of RAMming that ball down a defense's throat for first downs.

GB is probably gonna work the run all week in practice lol. On both sides of the ball. They're a great team, but even they gotta be worried just a little bit by that film.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
All I can say is we're sitting pretty going into the bye if we beat GB. I thought this was an impassable game before season. However, if Gurley can run like he did last week, we have a real shot. After seeing GB handle Rogers, though, I'm optimistic.