Rams' Terrence Franks focused on special teams/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Franks focused on special teams
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1559506-rams-franks-focused-on-special-teams

Undrafted free agent Terrence Franks faces long odds of making the St. Louis Rams’ roster out of training camp this fall, but the running back has the right mindset to make a run at it.

The 5-foot-9, 203-pounder made his mark at Texas State running the football, but he knows he’ll have to focus on another aspect of the game to have a chance to make the Rams’ roster.

“I have a mindset to make the special teams,” Franks said following an OTA practice session earlier this month. “That’s the most important thing about the NFL, making the special teams, because that’s where it starts and then go from there to the offense. So my best bet was to make the special teams so I can play.”

A native of Houston, Franks was a football and track standout at Angleton (Texas) High School before moving on to Texas State.

There, after redshirting his first year, Franks racked up 2,045 yards rushing and 24 touchdowns on 359 carries, an average of 5.7 yards per carry, during his four-year career with the Bobcats.

As a senior in 2014, Franks rushed for 726 yards and eight touchdowns and averaged 6.7 yards per carry and caught 11 passes for another 125 yards and three scores. He also blocked a punt and returned it 10 yards for a touchdown against New Mexico State.

He impressed enough to get a good look from the Rams.

“At pro day the Rams’ scouts came up to me saying the Rams were looking at me high on their list,” Franks said. “I was kind of shocked by that. After my pro day I got a lot of phone calls from the Rams to stay in touch and wished me luck in the Draft.”

Franks didn’t get drafted, but he signed on with the Rams soon after.

When the undrafted rookie reports for his first NFL training camp in a few weeks, he’ll join a group of Rams running backs that includes Todd Gurley, Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead, Trey Watts, Chase Reynolds and fellow undrafted rookie Malcolm Brown.

Cunningham, Watts and Reynolds all made the Rams’ roster the past few years as undrafted rookies in part because of their work on special teams. Now Franks is focused on doing the same.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm sorry but, the way our RB's look right now, I would say Franks chances are not very good. But he could impress some other team in pre season!!