Rams still in wait-and-see mode with CB Trumaine Johnson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
6:00 AM CT
Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- If the Los Angeles Rams and standout cornerback Trumaine Johnson are going to sit down and revisit talks for a contract extension, it'll wait until around the middle of June. The Rams want to finish with organized team activities, which run through June 8, or the entire offseason program, which concludes June 15, to see just how good of a fit Johnson is for a Wade Phillips defense that utilizes a lot of man coverage.

The Rams communicated that to Johnson about a month ago, and he understands.

"But so far, so good, man," Johnson said Monday, the start of the Rams' OTAs. "I like it. I like it here. I like the defense. I'm trying to pick Wade Phillips' brain every day. He's won a Super Bowl, he's been to the playoffs. You're talking about a Hall of Fame coach. So it's cool right now, man. Just being around my teammates also, that I've been around a couple of years now, it's been fun."

Johnson is playing under his second consecutive franchise tag, which will pay him $16.74 million in 2017, and can replace that with a long-term deal at any point until July 15.

Aaron Donald, the game's best interior pass-rusher, who was absent from OTAs on Monday while his representatives engage in contract negotiations that Rams general manager Les Snead deemed "serious." Donald is still two seasons away from free agency -- without even including the ability to franchise him -- but seeks higher compensation for 2017 and 2018, for obvious reasons.

The Rams, Snead said Monday, are "very hopeful" that they can get a deal done with Donald.

But what about all those other defensive players who are a year away from free agency?

The list includes Johnson, inside linebacker Alec Ogletree, slot corner and free safety Lamarcus Joyner, strong safety Maurice Alexander, outside corner E.J. Gaines and backup safety Cody Davis. The Rams at least have the financial wiggle room. They're set up to have about $43 million in cap space in 2018, which currently stands as the fifth-most in the NFL.

"When you have a 53-man roster, you have to be able to juggle a few balls in the air," Snead said Monday. "It's not just one person. It's a team. All of those variables we have to work through, and that's what we're trying to do right now."

Asked about Johnson, who was shopped earlier this offseason, Snead reiterated that the organization wants to "get through OTAs, make sure it's a fit on all sides, and then we'll not take a summer vacation to see if we can figure something out." Donald might require being compensated as the game's highest-paid defensive player. But Johnson won't come cheap, either. A good comparison might have come in early April with the Falcons' Desmond Trufant, who signed a five-year deal that is worth about $69 million and guarantees him close to $42 million.

"Overall, you always want a long-term deal," Johnson said. "But right now, my focus is here, with these OTAs. We have until July 15, so I’m going to let my agent handle the business side and I’m just going to handle the football side."

Johnson, a third-round pick in 2012, intercepted 15 passes in his first four seasons, tied for the fourth-most in the NFL during that time. Last year, he replaced the departed Janoris Jenkins as the primary corner and intercepted only one pass in 14 games, but was ranked 25th among 111 qualified corners by Pro Football Focus. The Rams have since signed Kayvon Webster, who will compete with Gaines for the starting job on the outside, and Nickell Robey-Coleman, another option in the slot.

But Johnson is by far their best and most accomplished at the position.

"My whole thing is, man, I'm just glad I'm playing football," he said. "If it was about the money for me, I would've left somewhere else to get bigger money. I love football, I love my teammates."

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...in-wait-and-see-mode-with-cb-trumaine-johnson

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
$16,742,000 franchise tag on Trumaine Johnson?

Hmmm.... Any chance the Rams might simply release him after OTAs?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
$16,742,000 franchise tag on Trumaine Johnson?

Hmmm.... Any chance the Rams might simply release him after OTAs?

It sounds like he is willing to work with the Rams and give up some of his salary to free up space..I don't know thats the vibe I am getting.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
TruJo would be very smart to take a fair market priced 5 year extension with heavy guarantees and play in a Wade D.

Might pile up some Pro Bowl awards in the process.

But it ain't gonna be anywhere near $16.7 million per, that's for damned sure.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The list includes Johnson, inside linebacker Alec Ogletree, slot corner and free safety Lamarcus Joyner, strong safety Maurice Alexander, outside corner E.J. Gaines and backup safety Cody Davis. The Rams at least have the financial wiggle room. They're set up to have about $43 million in cap space in 2018, which currently stands as the fifth-most in the NFL.
Ogletree, Alexander, Joyner....and we still need to sign Tru & Donald....sheeesh!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless Tru wants to come to a compromise on his own terms. If he did that would tell me a lot. If he does it I would suggest Austin do the same.
The question I was responding to was about him being released. IMO there is no chance of that for multiple reasons. One the franchise tag is guaranteed, there is no benefit to releasing him. We'd just be down a good CB and wouldn't get any cap relief. Also he won't be released because we need him. Like it or not TruJo is a Ram this year and will likely carry the franchise cap hit.

Austin and Barron are two others people like to fantasize about being cut and they're just as unlikely to be moved for similar reasons. Both also are unlikely to be restructured because that would likely require more guaranteed money in the future which the Rams won't do and it's counter productive.

RAMBUSH

Starter

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- If the Los Angeles Rams and standout cornerback Trumaine Johnson are going to sit down and revisit talks for a contract extension, it'll wait until around the middle of June. The Rams want to finish with organized team activities, which run through June 8, or the entire offseason program, which concludes June 15, to see just how good of a fit Johnson is for a Wade Phillips defense that utilizes a lot of man coverage.

"But so far, so good, man," Johnson said Monday, the start of the Rams' OTAs. "I like it. I like it here. I like the defense. I'm trying to pick Wade Phillips' brain every day. He's won a Super Bowl, he's been to the playoffs. You're talking about a Hall of Fame coach. So it's cool right now, man. Just being around my teammates also, that I've been around a couple of years now, it's been fun."

Johnson is playing under his second consecutive franchise tag, which will pay him $16.74 million in 2017, and can replace that with a long-term deal at any point until July 15.

Aaron Donald, the game's best interior pass-rusher, who was absent from OTAs on Monday while his representatives engage in contract negotiations that Rams general manager Les Snead deemed "serious." Donald is still two seasons away from free agency -- without even including the ability to franchise him -- but seeks higher compensation for 2017 and 2018, for obvious reasons.

The Rams, Snead said Monday, are "very hopeful" that they can get a deal done with Donald.

But what about all those other defensive players who are a year away from free agency?

"When you have a 53-man roster, you have to be able to juggle a few balls in the air," Snead said Monday. "It's not just one person. It's a team. All of those variables we have to work through, and that's what we're trying to do right now."

Asked about Johnson, who was shopped earlier this offseason, Snead reiterated that the organization wants to "get through OTAs, make sure it's a fit on all sides, and then we'll not take a summer vacation to see if we can figure something out." Donald might require being compensated as the game's highest-paid defensive player. But Johnson won't come cheap, either. A good comparison might have come in early April with the Falcons' Desmond Trufant, who signed a five-year deal that is worth about $69 million and guarantees him close to $42 million.

"Overall, you always want a long-term deal," Johnson said. "But right now, my focus is here, with these OTAs. We have until July 15, so I’m going to let my agent handle the business side and I’m just going to handle the football side."

Johnson, a third-round pick in 2012, intercepted 15 passes in his first four seasons, tied for the fourth-most in the NFL during that time. Last year, he replaced the departed Janoris Jenkins as the primary corner and intercepted only one pass in 14 games, but was ranked 25th among 111 qualified corners by Pro Football Focus. The Rams have since signed Kayvon Webster, who will compete with Gaines for the starting job on the outside, and Nickell Robey-Coleman, another option in the slot.

"My whole thing is, man, I'm just glad I'm playing football," he said. "If it was about the money for me, I would've left somewhere else to get bigger money. I love football, I love my teammates."

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...in-wait-and-see-mode-with-cb-trumaine-johnson
We got to pay A.D. 99 . Now ...and then watch him roll in that wade Phillips defense. Go RAMS !!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
TruJo would be very smart to take a fair market priced 5 year extension with heavy guarantees and play in a Wade D.

Might pile up some Pro Bowl awards in the process.

Agreed. At some point these guys need to look at the staff and team around them and worry about their legacy of production. Another team might pay him more, but is he going to do what he will do under Wade?

If I'm him I am going to sign here long term and bust my butt to put together a stretch of elite seasons. Those will come for him if he stays under this staff.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say it again, I cant believe we were on different sides of this at first....
(We meaning me)

That's why I'm glad that they are taking this AD situation seriously, they understand that they severely screwed up with Jenkins and Johnson and they can't afford to do that with AD. They are starting earlier to make sure they get this one right

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
None, the franchise tag is guaranteed.
True%2BDoh%2BCanada.png

Missed him signing his franchise tender.

Guess my thinking is that he didn't seem to be as good last season and even for one year, that's shutdown CB money. TJ is good, but he's no shutdown CB.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

This sounds to me like the Rams are taking it one-step-at-a-time, and want to get Donald's deal done 1st! IF they wait two more season on Donald that price tag could be a Deal Killer!! And no one wants that to happen!!!! JMHO!