Rams starters that are guaranteed to lose their jobs by season's end

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Rams starters that are guaranteed to lose their jobs by season's end

227364_7bd6eec02cdf48ccada5b30e0db37480~mv2_d_3000_2166_s_2.webp

We are through three Rams games and plenty to take away from them, but how many of you find yourselves thinking that certain players shouldn't be starting? Take a look at my list I made to organize who I believe is a starter now, but will not be at the end of the year.

WR Tavon Austin

227364_b83ebd1bc74b41f0a285492afb734c30~mv2_d_3355_2237_s_2.webp

It's sad, but I officially have given up my hope for Tavon Austin. Yes, I fell for it, I fell for him and I backed him up constantly. Now, the fact of the matter is Austin will never be anything more than a gadget player. Right now he is the starting slot receiver, that shouldn't even be the case anymore. There is no reason why a player like Cooper Kupp should only be on the field for 60 percent of snaps. There should be no time sharing and the Rams should stop trying to get Austin involved. Three games into this season the Rams have 107 points and none of them have come from Austin. I liked Austin, but it's time to realize he is a liability as he is playing over young weapons like Kupp, Josh Reynolds and Pharoh Cooper who seriously need to start getting their reps.

Replacement: Cooper Kupp

TE Tyler Higbee

227364_582e49ea9cfa49629e0026bdf54ae083~mv2.webp

Unfortunately, Tyler Higbee, the Rams starting tight end and a former fourth-round pick still looks behind. The Rams might even have two tight ends that are ahead of him on the roster and that's not even including the injured reserved Temarrick Hemingway. Higbee continues to struggle with his drops that plagued him during training camp. Higbee is rated one of the lowest tight ends in the game according to Pro Football Focus picking up where he left off last season. Granted, Higbee is still young and only into the beginning of his second season with actual coaching, the Rams should be and will be starting Gerald Everett sooner than later. On top of that if Higbee is starting because of his blocking which isn't great by any means, then Derek Carrier might be the best option to start moving forward. We didn't think of it at the time, but Higbee's drop near the goal line could have been one of the plays that ultimately left points on the board and resulted in a loss. Luckily for him, the Rams came out of the game dodging disaster.

Replacement: Gerald Everett

RG Jamon Brown

227364_0c0277cdb71341adb5439f0d4b2d848f~mv2.webp

The former 2015 third-round pick Jamon Brown is just not taking that next step. Yes, the Rams offense looks awesome thus far, but that doesn't mean there aren't some issues on the offensive line. Brown has looked outmatched most of the time this season and it's sad when you can say the best thing about Brown being at guard is that the Rams moved him from the tackle position. He is in no way built for a tackle and he has struggled mightily at guard. So who will replace him? The man coming back from an injury that looked like the best offensive lineman in relief last season.

Replacement: Andrew Donnal

OLB Connor Barwin

227364_ca09a563e9e04a7d97ce7023d122fcfc~mv2.webp

Connor Barwin started off his season being voted as a team captain, but he has since shown that he is past his prime, he's slow and isn't a starting caliber looking player at this point in his career anymore. I like Barwin however, the problem is he is arguably the only one in the starting lineup besides injured Kayvon Webster that has played in a 3-4. Barwin had a comeback game this week, but he still had some issues and he and Robert Quinn have had a seriously difficult time containing the edge. On the Brian Hoyer scramble touchdown in the red zone if you go back and watch the film Barwin practically gave him the touchdown by using his inside spin move that left himself with his back turned as he had to twist his body and accelerate after Hoyer. Barwin completely took himself (the only person in a position to make the play) out of the play. Barwin is a good player to have and he has that familiarity with Wade, but he is in no way shape or form a strength for this Rams team outside of his experience and leadership. With both him and Quinn struggling I think Matt Longacre's time could be coming as he is after all the top outside backer on the Rams according to Pro Football Focus.

Replacement: Matt Longacre

Who are your replacements? Let us know below!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Very much disagree on Brown. He's been a part of an offensive line that's bulldozed the way for Gurley.

Also question Higbee; in my opinion, both Higbee and Everett can start.

Do agree on Tavon and Barwin. I'd also like to add another to the list: Robert Quinn replaced by Ebukam.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very much disagree on Brown. He's been a part of an offensive line that's bulldozed the way for Gurley.

Also question Higbee; in my opinion, both Higbee and Everett can start.

Do agree on Tavon and Barwin. I'd also like to add another to the list: Robert Quinn replaced by Ebukam.
I would disagree Gurley's majority yards came on the left side behind Whitworth and Saffold. Brown still gets pushed around I think Donnal is better than him anyway. I would disagree on Quinn. Yeah, Barwin is like having over the hill Laurinaitis as an OLB again. Tavon is killing us with his inability to do anything with his reps and even shoot us in the foot with turnovers.

…..

Legend
I'd rather focus on the good this week and not rebuild the roster. Nothing personal, but not a fan of this article or its timing.

Jake, if you're going to be a writer, you need to learn to seize upon the positive at times. I understand that there will always be churning of the roster, but pay close attention to the fan base and the direction of the franchise. "Fixing" everything all the time isn't really what sells, unless you're selling the negative. Find it within you to accentuate the positive to grab the audience. Human nature is to gravitate to the good. Play on the good and we will come!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'd rather focus on the good this week and not rebuild the roster. Nothing personal, but not a fan of this article or its timing.

Jake, if you're going to be a writer, you need to learn to seize upon the positive at times. I understand that there will always be churning of the roster, but pay close attention to the fan base and the direction of the franchise. "Fixing" everything all the time isn't really what sells, unless you're selling the negative. Find it within you to accentuate the positive to grab the audience. Human nature is to gravitate to the good. Play on the good and we will come!
I appreciate the feedback. I wrote an article on the McVay and Shanahan rivalry as the follow up. Perhaps this was bad timing. I only write articles I can put my heart into and my true mindset. This was what I was thinking. My apologies.

…..

Legend
I appreciate the feedback. I wrote an article on the McVay and Shanahan rivalry as the follow up. Perhaps this was bad timing. I only write articles I can put my heart into and my true mindset. This was what I was thinking. My apologies.

Haaa....no sir dont you dare apologize! Love reading your stuff and love the work you put in.

I dont want/mean to be critical my ram brutha...I'm just saying....ride the wave :)

nighttrain

Legend
I would disagree Gurley's majority yards came on the left side behind Whitworth and Saffold. Brown still gets pushed around I think Donnal is better than him anyway. I would disagree on Quinn. Yeah, Barwin is like having over the hill Laurinaitis as an OLB again. Tavon is killing us with his inability to do anything with his reps and even shoot us in the foot with turnovers.
Very very good chance Brown and Higbee will be around next season
train

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Haaa....no sir dont you dare apologize! Love reading your stuff and love the work you put in.

I dont want/mean to be critical my ram brutha...I'm just saying....ride the wave :)
Haha I've been known to do only that. This was my first "negative" piece. It was more meant to pump up the younger guys like Kupp, Longacre, Everett and Donnal. I think the title made it seem different.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I only write articles I can put my heart into and my true mindset.

That's how I approach everything. Wish I would have done that as well as a young man. Good for you for figuring that out so early in your life. Do what you love and eventually it will pay off.

However it is a bit premature to evaluate who should stay and who should go based on three games in new offensive and defensive systems. Let's see how everyone is doing towards the tail end of the season.

Btw McVay and his crew will be able to figure out how to get the most out of Austin this year and beyond. Those fake jet-sweeps open up the field for others to succeed. It isn't always about individual stats.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, Brown looked very good last night against the 49ers maybe his best game as a Ram so that's still a work in progress and there is no debating that the defense seems to be better against the run with Ebukam & Longacre in the game as opposed to Quinn & Barwin although Barwin did have a nice sack last night and IMO, Quinn is a natural DE in a 4-3 scheme, so that is why he is somewhat struggling both seem to be not very good against the run and with small inside linebackers that does not help.

@Dog has a point, but I concur with some changes on defense and Austin seems to be struggling as well, but although Higbee has been a disappointment, there still could be hope being it's only his second year, however, Derek Carrier is like Actor Steve Buscemi not always the main guy, but makes things better.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Btw McVay and his crew will be able to figure out how to get the most out of Austin this year and beyond. Those fake jet-sweeps open up the field for others to succeed. It isn't always about individual stats.

You can only like this so much. Tavon is a team player. No whining or sulking. He does what the coaching staff want him to do. Those fake jet sweeps work so well because of the player he is.

TexasRam

Legend
I've carefully watched every snap Brown has taken this year including preseason.

He has really improved his game this year and grades out as a solid starter so far. He has some work to do. Particularly
Figuring out how to lock on his man longer. He has stood up well vs Kahlil Mack and other solid rushers. He has all the attributes of a pro bowl dominating guard. He gets great push in the run game and has quick feet and reaction adjust to the stunts lineman throw
At him and Havenstein. He is also assignment sound. Understanding who he's supposed to block on the fly. He has a bad habit of getting too quickly to the second level after the initial block and not making sure the first block is completed. Sometimes those guys make the tackle.

I think Brown is one too watch. If he regresses than yes he is a candidate to upgrade. If he continues his solid play and improves then I spend my resources upgrading other positions.

Tavon is overpriced there is no doubt. He will have to restructure or be elsewhere. But I wonder if people realize how much the fake jet sweeps open up the field for Gurley, because they really do. Someone once said he is a very expensive decoy. But he is more than that. He has undeniable open field elusiveness that comes in big a few times a game. He regularly picks up huge chunks of yards on those sweeps and reverses. Last game was a great example. The Niners fell asleep on him and he has a huge TD run. Yea he didn't score but put us at 1st and Goal at the 1. He looks bad on punt returns right now but can really help us there.

Higbee. His blocking has improved some. But he is still a liability and gets overpowered too much. I often wonder what the offense would look like with solid blocking there vs his Klopenstein impressions. Because he's young and improving I think he gets more chances, but I don't think he has the strength or bulk to make it in our offense. He's trying hard but is getting thrown around like a child at times.

Barwin. You win some and lose some in free agency. It's a long season and he's transitioning back to the 3-4. But I don't see he has enough power, quickness or technique to be re-signed.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
That's how I approach everything. Wish I would have done that as well as a young man. Good for you for figuring that out so early in your life. Do what you love and eventually it will pay off.

However it is a bit premature to evaluate who should stay and who should go based on three games in new offensive and defensive systems. Let's see how everyone is doing towards the tail end of the season.

True true. I appreciate that. I didn't want anyone to go completely. I meant just as starters.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Well, Brown looked very good last night against the 49ers maybe his best game as a Ram so that's still a work in progress and there is no debating that the defense seems to be better against the run with Ebukam & Longacre in the game as opposed to Quinn & Barwin although Barwin did have a nice sack last night and IMO, Quinn is a natural DE in a 4-3 scheme, so that is why he is somewhat struggling both seem to be not very good against the run and with small inside linebackers that does not help.

@Dog has a point, but I concur with some changes on defense and Austin seems to be struggling as well, but although Higbee has been a disappointment, there still could be hope being it's only his second year, however, Derek Carrier is like Actor Steve Buscemi not always the main guy, but makes things better.
Love that analogy on Carrier. I really find Cory Littleton's reps interesting. Wonder if Wade sees him like I do. I think he's like Shaq Barrett.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I've carefully watched every snap Brown has taken this year including preseason.

He has really improved his game this year and grades out as a solid starter so far. He has some work to do. Particularly
Figuring out how to lock on his man longer. He has stood up well vs Kahlil Mack and other solid rushers. He has all the attributes of a pro bowl dominating guard. He gets great push in the run game and has quick feet and reaction adjust to the stunts lineman throw
At him and Havenstein. He is also assignment sound. Understanding who he's supposed to block on the fly. He has a bad habit of getting too quickly to the second level after the initial block and not making sure the first block is completed. Sometimes those guys make the tackle.

I think Brown is one too watch. If he regresses than yes he is a candidate to upgrade. If he continues his solid play and improves then I spend my resources upgrading other positions.

Tavon is overpriced there is no doubt. He will have to restructure or be elsewhere. But I wonder if people realize how much the fake jet sweeps open up the field for Gurley, because they really do. Someone once said he is a very expensive decoy. But he is more than that. He has undeniable open field elusiveness that comes in big a few times a game. He regularly picks up huge chunks of yards on those sweeps and reverses. Last game was a great example. The Niners fell asleep on him and he has a huge TD run. Yea he didn't score but put us at 1st and Goal at the 1. He looks bad on punt returns right now but can really help us there.

Higbee. His blocking has improved some. But he is still a liability and gets overpowered too much. I often wonder what the offense would look like with solid blocking there vs his Klopenstein impressions. Because he's young and improving I think he gets more chances, but I don't think he has the strength or bulk to make it in our offense. He's trying hard but is getting thrown around like a child at times.

Barwin. You win some and lose some in free agency. It's a long season and he's transitioning back to the 3-4. But I don't see he has enough power, quickness or technique to be re-signed.
I really like everything you had to say. I've been hard on Brown because I personally see more out of Donnal. Granted he hasnt played this season, but Donnal is our best OL not named Whitworth in my mind. Showed alot of great things last year. Cant wait until hes healthy.

Ram65

Legend

I noticed Tavon helping the run game with the fakes and that Jet Sweep was nice. Expensive for sure.

Ebukam & Longacre will get more playing time as the season goes on. I'm sure the coaches are grading everyone. I like Price but, not sure why he hasn't played.

Brown keeps his job. The line is jelling a little more each week. Donnal still has question marks.

Higbee gets time. Have to see what he develops into. Everett could be used more when he is healthier. I like Carrier as the H-Back type. He has some speed and nice hands.

One thing is for sure McVay and Snead will always trying to improve the roster. They want competition and will make changes that all the players are aware of by now.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
After 3 games you "guarantee" these guys are replaced? :rolleyes:

Maybe they had some bad plays, but why do people rush to judgements after a couple games?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin needs to restructure for sure .. pay outweighs production (not that it's my money but we the fans have run people outta town earning big coin and not producing ) .. he is handy on the jet sweeps either as a decoy or a runner I'd still explore a trade (but after his fumble and the one he bobbled not sure we get many takers )

The flak Higbee gets annoys me ...the kid (if you listen to some people on the board ) couldn't block on someone Facebook .. his blocking is coming on leaps and bounds .. as for that drop the DB made a great play ... if he was as bad as some of you think do you really think mcvay wouldn't be starting Everett ? Mcvay doesn't seem to play favourites and if he did GE is "his" guy .. we have three decent TEs that can do different things .. yes hugs can be better but he ain't as bad as some try to make out

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I don't see Jamon losing to an unknown in Donnal.

Also, I think if Barwin will be replaced, it will be by Ebukam next year, not Longacre. Not that I'm against Longacre or anything, I just think Ebukam is the guy with great upside and I see him reaching that next level.