Rams sign Tim Barnes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Are people really getting excited about Tim Barnes?

You're damn right we are...
Tim-Barnes-669x1024.jpg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, you need guys like this on the roster. Nice to have one that knows his way around the club house at least. Only need about 4 more OL now, two starting caliber at least.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
The thing that is getting irritating to me is the lack of urgency to fix the one area of the team that is preventing the Rams from winning games.
Barnes is average depth. He's not a starter and I don't see where the Rams plan to find 3 starters like they need. Are they thinking they can fill these holes with a slew of rookies? How many teams have gone to the playoffs with 2/3rds of their OL made up of rookies? And that's not even considering the LT is only on year 2 and you can flip a coin on whether the LG will last the season.

Maybe I'm being overly negative but Boudreau doesn't turn mediocre ingredients into anything other than something mediocre. I'm not saying he's bad but I don't see anything special about the job he does with those kinds of players. He needs quality players to work with across the line not just 1 or 2 spots and then fill the rest with Jags or worse. I'm sick of watching those kinds of OL's.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Plugging in the same parts over and over expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'd feel just as excited as if we signed Davin Joseph again. The enthusiasms confuses me.... (n)

WestCoastRam

Legend
How about some perspective here.

This was our depth chart before signing Barnes.

LT Greg Robinson, Brandon Washington (guard, not a tackle)
LG Rodger Saffold, Barrett Jones (if healthy) (hole here if BJ is at center)
C Barrett Jones (if healthy), Rhaney (unproven)
RG Garrett Reynolds, (nobody really)
RT Nobody and Nobody

I didn't include the scrubs because, well, they're scrubs.

I'm not gonna go crazy over resigning Tim Barnes but damn, did we need the depth. Jones could at least focus on guard now which is actually what Fisher has talked about him playing.

RamBill

Legend
Rams bringing back center Tim Barnes
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17442/rams-bringing-back-center-tim-barnes

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams are bringing back one of their own offensive linemen, though it's not the one many were hoping would be re-signing this week.

As the Rams continue to monitor and work on retaining tackle Joe Barksdale, they struck a one-year deal with center Tim Barnes on Monday night. Barnes is expected to officially re-sign with the Rams on Tuesday.

In keeping Barnes, the Rams again don't solve the glaring need for a starter but they at least bring back some solid depth on the interior. Barnes is also someone who could challenge for the starting job in the middle against Barrett Jones and/or Demetrius Rhaney if the Rams don't add another center via the draft or free agency.

Unlike Jones and Rhaney, Barnes at least comes with some meaningful game experience. With then starter Scott Wells injured, Barnes started four games at the end of the 2013 season. He was mostly solid in those appearances though struggled with bigger, more physical defenses in Arizona and Seattle.

Barnes entered this offseason as a restricted free agent after spending the past three seasons with the Rams. The team declined to give him a tender offer in hopes that they could bring him back below the minimum tender. It appears that will be the case though the exact terms of the deal are not yet available.

The Kansas City Chiefs also showed interest in Barnes before he made the decision to agree to terms with the Rams.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I have been saying this was going to happen for awhile now, and the only thing that was going to get in the way of him re-signing with the Rams was his visit to Kansas City. (which happens to be closer to his hometown). That being said, IMO, this is a very good move.

For all the talk about how Barrett Jones had "re sculpted" his physique coming into 2014, no one worked harder than Tim Barnes to get bigger, stronger coming into Training Camp last year. The physical change in him was apparent just looking at him. While in 2103, he got the opportunity to start the last 4 games of the season, he was not nearly physical enough. When he came to camp in 2014, he looked like an NFL lineman. Had he not suffered the pinched nerve in his neck in camp, a shoulder injury during the preseason, and the rib injury in the first month of the season, IMO, he would have taken over the starting Center job.

Now that he is back in blue and gold, I believe he now is the front-runner in the starting Center sweepstakes, barring a FA signing (Wisniewski). He is entering his 4th season as a Ram, so they obviously see something positive in what he brings to the table.

The thing is, for me anyway, is most fans look at a player like Barnes, and only see the player he has been to this point in his career. While I understand that's the only point of reference they have, Tim Barnes is the perfect example of a player who DEVELOPS into a very good NFL lineman, and he is right on schedule in both timing and experience to have that happen.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depth... cheap... known quantity... that's the good news.

Same 'ol, same 'ol... that's the bad news.

I'm not breaking out my best bottle of wine over this. :cool:

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I have been saying this was going to happen for awhile now, and the only thing that was going to get in the way of him re-signing with the Rams was his visit to Kansas City. (which happens to be closer to his hometown). That being said, IMO, this is a very good move.

For all the talk about how Barrett Jones had "re sculpted" his physique coming into 2014, no one worked harder than Tim Barnes to get bigger, stronger coming into Training Camp last year. The physical change in him was apparent just looking at him. While in 2103, he got the opportunity to start the last 4 games of the season, he was not nearly physical enough. When he came to camp in 2014, he looked like an NFL lineman. Had he not suffered the pinched nerve in his neck in camp, a shoulder injury during the preseason, and the rib injury in the first month of the season, IMO, he would have taken over the starting Center job.

Now that he is back in blue and gold, I believe he now is the front-runner in the starting Center sweepstakes, barring a FA signing (Wisniewski). He is entering his 4th season as a Ram, so they obviously see something positive in what he brings to the table.

The thing is, for me anyway, is most fans look at a player like Barnes, and only see the player he has been to this point in his career. While I understand that's the only point of reference they have, Tim Barnes is the perfect example of a player who DEVELOPS into a very good NFL lineman, and he is right on schedule in both timing and experience to have that happen.

Very well said. I for one think its a good signing. If he doesn't win the starting job at the very least hes great depth that was badly needed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, if the Rams wanted Barnes back which guy, don't they think can play Center? Jones or Rhaney?