Rams Show interest in Auburn OC Reese Dismukes/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams show interest in Dismukes

By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/story/1521324-rams-show-interest-in-dismukes?s=124

The St. Louis Rams leaned on their connections to the Auburn University program to select two Tigers in the 2014 Draft: offensive tackle Greg Robinson and running back Tre Mason. It’s possible that they could add another Auburn prospect in the 2015 Draft.

The Rams were one of the teams to speak with former Auburn center Reese Dismukes at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Dismukes, who measured in at nearly 6-foot-3 and 296 pounds at the Combine, is rated by Scout.com as the second-ranked center in the draft class and has some impressive credentials.

The Alabama native was a four-year starter for Auburn and was awarded the Rimington Trophy (awarded to the nation’s top center) as a senior as well as being an Outland Trophy finalist (awarded to the top lineman), first-team All-Southeastern Conference (coaches and Associated Press) and a consensus first-team All-American (Associated Press, Scout.com, ESPN, Football Writers Association of America, CBSSports.com and Walter Camp).

"He's a four-year starter in the SEC, which I think is very important,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn told reporters at the Senior Bowl. “He's like another quarterback on the field, and like a coach on the field, too. He doesn't have any bad days.”

Dismukes graded out at better than 90 percent over his final two seasons.

He recorded 124 knockdowns as a junior, when he was the first-team All-SEC center and a Rimington Trophy finalist.

“This zone blocker is very alert to stunts, twists and blitzes,” Scout.com draft analyst Dave-Te Thomas said. “Do not let his adequate size fool you — he is a tough hombre in the Olin Kreutz mold.”

Kreutz was a third-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears in 1998 and the 6-2, 292-pounder went on to have a 14-year NFL career with the Bears and New Orleans Saints. He was a six-time Pro Bowl selection and a first-team All-Pro selection by the Associated Press in 2006.

That’s obviously a lofty comparison by Thomas.

“He plays on his feet well and has the first step needed to chip and seal the linebackers shooting the gaps,” Thomas said of Dismukes. “He has the upper-body strength to neutralize the bull rush and good balance along with proper hand placement, as he is quick to recoil and reset his hands. He has a very good feel for taking angles and comes off the snap low and with a wide base, doing a nice job of maintaining the rush lanes.”

The Rams’ interest in Dismukes at the Combine shouldn’t come as much of a surprise considering the franchise’s connections to the Auburn program.

General manager Les Snead played at Auburn. Coach Jeff Fisher’s son, Trent, also played for the Tigers.

The Rams may look to add a center this offseason.

Starting center Scott Wells could become a salary cap casualty — according to OverTheCap.com, cutting Wells would save the Rams $3.75 million in salary cap room — and backup Tim Barnes is a restricted free agent.

Barrett Jones was a fourth-round pick in 2013 but has only played in 10 games (zero starts) over his first two NFL seasons because of injuries. Demetrius Rhaney was a seventh-round draft pick in 2014 but suffered a knee injury in practice and spent his entire rookie season on the injured reserve list.

The Rams will have some decisions to make at that position this offseason, including whether to release Wells and pursue a veteran center during free agency or let some of the youngsters compete for the starting spot.

Depending on what they decide to do at that spot, Dismukes could be an intriguing option for the Rams in the 2015 Draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of his play. I think he'll struggle with power in the NFL. I'll watch more film though.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Hes kinda small and has tiny hands, im not a huge fan. I prefer max garcia

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams really need to get off this Auburn kick, I understand that Jeff Fisher might feel he has inside information being that his son (Trent) played for the Tigers, but I concur I like other centers in the draft much better besides Rodney Hudson of the Chiefs in free agency too.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams show interest in Dismukes

By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/story/1521324-rams-show-interest-in-dismukes?s=124

The St. Louis Rams leaned on their connections to the Auburn University program to select two Tigers in the 2014 Draft: offensive tackle Greg Robinson and running back Tre Mason. It’s possible that they could add another Auburn prospect in the 2015 Draft.

The Rams were one of the teams to speak with former Auburn center Reese Dismukes at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Dismukes, who measured in at nearly 6-foot-3 and 296 pounds at the Combine, is rated by Scout.com as the second-ranked center in the draft class and has some impressive credentials.

The Alabama native was a four-year starter for Auburn and was awarded the Rimington Trophy (awarded to the nation’s top center) as a senior as well as being an Outland Trophy finalist (awarded to the top lineman), first-team All-Southeastern Conference (coaches and Associated Press) and a consensus first-team All-American (Associated Press, Scout.com, ESPN, Football Writers Association of America, CBSSports.com and Walter Camp).

"He's a four-year starter in the SEC, which I think is very important,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn told reporters at the Senior Bowl. “He's like another quarterback on the field, and like a coach on the field, too. He doesn't have any bad days.”

Dismukes graded out at better than 90 percent over his final two seasons.

He recorded 124 knockdowns as a junior, when he was the first-team All-SEC center and a Rimington Trophy finalist.

“This zone blocker is very alert to stunts, twists and blitzes,” Scout.com draft analyst Dave-Te Thomas said. “Do not let his adequate size fool you — he is a tough hombre in the Olin Kreutz mold.”

Kreutz was a third-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears in 1998 and the 6-2, 292-pounder went on to have a 14-year NFL career with the Bears and New Orleans Saints. He was a six-time Pro Bowl selection and a first-team All-Pro selection by the Associated Press in 2006.

That’s obviously a lofty comparison by Thomas.

“He plays on his feet well and has the first step needed to chip and seal the linebackers shooting the gaps,” Thomas said of Dismukes. “He has the upper-body strength to neutralize the bull rush and good balance along with proper hand placement, as he is quick to recoil and reset his hands. He has a very good feel for taking angles and comes off the snap low and with a wide base, doing a nice job of maintaining the rush lanes.”

The Rams’ interest in Dismukes at the Combine shouldn’t come as much of a surprise considering the franchise’s connections to the Auburn program.

General manager Les Snead played at Auburn. Coach Jeff Fisher’s son, Trent, also played for the Tigers.

The Rams may look to add a center this offseason.

Starting center Scott Wells could become a salary cap casualty — according to OverTheCap.com, cutting Wells would save the Rams $3.75 million in salary cap room — and backup Tim Barnes is a restricted free agent.

Barrett Jones was a fourth-round pick in 2013 but has only played in 10 games (zero starts) over his first two NFL seasons because of injuries. Demetrius Rhaney was a seventh-round draft pick in 2014 but suffered a knee injury in practice and spent his entire rookie season on the injured reserve list.

The Rams will have some decisions to make at that position this offseason, including whether to release Wells and pursue a veteran center during free agency or let some of the youngsters compete for the starting spot.

Depending on what they decide to do at that spot, Dismukes could be an intriguing option for the Rams in the 2015 Draft.
I like what I read here. I'll look into him more!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Rams really need to get off this Auburn kick, I understand that Jeff Fisher might feel he has inside information being that his son (Trent) played for the Tigers, but I concur I like other centers in the draft much better besides Rodney Hudson of the Chiefs in free agency too.

Would love to have Hudson but hes looking to be paid like the top center in the game and Its looking more and more like the chiefs are gonna get somthing done with him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Would love to have Hudson but hes looking to be paid like the top center in the game and Its looking more and more like the chiefs are gonna get somthing done with him.

That's fine, but there will be other centers like Steve Wisniewski of the Raiders for example, I have a feeling that Fisher is not going to want a rookie at center in 2015, but nothing would shock me with this Auburn connection him and Les Snead seem to an affinity for.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's would be a outstanding use of our few draft choices. Dismukes could then SIT on the bench with our other talented young centers like Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney while veteran Scott Wells line up as starting center in 2015.

V3

Hall of Fame
It's not just Fisher. Snead went to Auburn. I agree, it's getting to be a little too much.

V3

Hall of Fame
It's fine if they want to draft a C later in the draft but IMO they HAVE to get the best C they can get in FA. Bradford has enough issues to worry about. He doesn't need to add rookie C, OG, and/or RT to the list. And a rookie C is probably the worst to have due to their responsibilities.

paceram

Pro Bowler
It's not just Fisher. Snead went to Auburn. I agree, it's getting to be a little too much.

The Auburn Rams - I am not sure I like the sound of that especially since I live in Florida (Go Noles!)!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We will find out here just how serious Snead & Fisher are in a center like Reese Dismukes on March 12th, 2015.

With so few draft selections I would find it hard to see why they would use a first or second day draft selection on a center. Dismukes is slated to go in the 2nd or 3rd round & if he happened to fall to the 4th rd the Rams do not have a 4th rd selection.

Rams could have centers Wells, Barnes, Jones, Rhaney & even Mike Person (FIVE) on their roster in 2015.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That's fine, but there will be other centers like Steve Wisniewski of the Raiders for example, I have a feeling that Fisher is not going to want a rookie at center in 2015, but nothing would shock me with this Auburn connection him and Les Snead seem to an affinity for.
Yeah, I can't see, essentially, a rookie LT, a rookie LG, and a rookie Center. It makes no sense. Saffold, may have to stay on the left side, but he's a better player at RG, IMO.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah, I can't see, essentially, a rookie LT, a rookie LG, and a rookie Center. It makes no sense. Saffold, may have to stay on the left side, but he's a better player at RG, IMO.

Rookie RG +Rookie C>Joseph and Wells

Agree if we did start a rookie guard and center that Saffold would be moved to LG. And agree he is better at RG as well.

Crossing my fingers for Hudson.