Rams schedules have been insulting..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Since the expansion to 32 teams in 2002, the Rams have played only 4 home games out of the 12 total final season games.

We have played SF at home in 2002, 2009, and 2011. The only other home game was against the Jets in 2004.

For 4 years in a row, from 2005 through 2008, the Rams were on the road for the season finale.

7 out of the last 9 were on the road. That's 78% on the road.

That has got to be more than random scheduling. We've been getting screwed by the league office.

One good thing about the Rams schedule contest is that it will highlight this issue if the league screws the Rams again.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Yeah, it's not random. The teams we play are fixed and set years in advance, but obviously they aren't going to cater to bad teams. If we're going to be bad, we will get a bad schedule. It's just the way it goes. Unfortunately.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The more I think about this the more it angers me.

If we finish on the road again this year that will be 8 out of the last 10 on the road.

I will want to hear Goodell explain why the Rams were told to play 80% of their final games over the past 10 years on the road.

I be no other team has ever been force to do that.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Yeah, it's not random. The teams we play are fixed and set years in advance, but obviously they aren't going to cater to bad teams. If we're going to be bad, we will get a bad schedule. It's just the way it goes. Unfortunately.

You're missing my point.

Every team plays 8 home games and 8 road games. So the expected outcome is that you play your final season game at home 50% of the time. That has nothing to do with WHO you are playing.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Not only that, but 3 out of the last 4 years, the Rams finished on the road in Seattle. I realize that the league has mandated that all regular season finales will be divisional matchups, but that still presents 6 possibilities out of possible opponents and location. Here's hoping this year's finale isn't a rerun....again.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not only that, but 3 out of the last 4 years, the Rams finished on the road in Seattle. I realize that the league has mandated that all regular season finales will be divisional matchups, but that still presents 6 possibilities out of possible opponents and location. Here's hoping this year's finale isn't a rerun....again.

rerun-300x198.jpg

rerun-dance-o.gif

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Yup. Good point!

Over the last 12 years, the Rams have never played AZ or Seattle at home to finish the season.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

If we finish on the road again this year that will be 8 out of the last 10 on the road.

I will want to hear Goodell explain why the Rams were told to play 80% of their final games over the past 10 years on the road.

I'm with you Max.

80% of our last games being Road games is bunk.

Unfortunately, GODell doesn't answer to anyone.

So there's a 7% chance that you can end up with 7 of 9 on the road, there's 32 teams which means that at least one of them will play 7 of 9 on the road is 90%, if anything I'd argue the fact that one has means it is done at random, it would surely be more suspicious if someone hadn't.

Now if you could find a pattern where more of the bad teams play their final game on the road, and more of the good teams played the final game at home, that would be more convincing.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
So there's a 7% chance that you can end up with 7 of 9 on the road, there's 32 teams which means that at least one of them will play 7 of 9 on the road is 90%, if anything I'd argue the fact that one has means it is done at random, it would surely be more suspicious if someone hadn't.

Now if you could find a pattern where more of the bad teams play their final game on the road, and more of the good teams played the final game at home, that would be more convincing.

Actually, when you look at it that way, the chances are higher than 7%. Using the Poisson Distribution, out of 9 trials (in this case total last games), the expected success rate is 4.5 (home games). The probability of getting exactly 2 is 11%. And getting 2 or less is 17%. It goes to 8% and 12%, respectively, when you go to 10 trials.

But you have a good point, an interesting study would be to look at the results for winning teams vs. losing teams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Look at the bright side Max, how often in the last 10 years have the Rams been relevant.

You're a numbers guy, think of the Law of Averages. This bodes well because as the Rams are on the rise we will likely see them getting home games plenty of times over the next several years. Hopefully they will be playing for home field for a playoff game or two and will be wrapping the season up in STL in front of their fans against a weak team.

Think positive.......

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Actually, when you look at it that way, the chances are higher than 7%. Using the Poisson Distribution, out of 9 trials (in this case total last games), the expected success rate is 4.5 (home games). The probability of getting exactly 2 is 11%. And getting 2 or less is 17%. It goes to 8% and 12%, respectively, when you go to 10 trials.

But you have a good point, an interesting study would be to look at the results for winning teams vs. losing teams.

Thinking more about this, the trials are too small for the Poisson to be the best fit. Better is the Binomial. It is more discrete for smaller sample size of 9 or 10 trials.

Using the Binomial, you get 7% and 9% for 9 trials. And 4% and 5% for 10 trials.

In summary, the probability that the Rams would get less than 3 home games out of the last 10 final games is 5%.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Sometimes it has to do with the venue, some cities (like STL) don't have a stadium that is stand alone or dedicated if you will. If a huge convention is in town then the Rams can end up on the road that week. One big convention in a city can have a ripple effect in a big way, much like a huge snowstorm in Chicago can make a mess out of airports in several cities.

The guys who do this have a hard job, I recall reading an article about it years ago.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Look at the bright side Max, how often in the last 10 years have the Rams been relevant.

You're a numbers guy, think of the Law of Averages. This bodes well because as the Rams are on the rise we will likely see them getting home games plenty of times over the next several years. Hopefully they will be playing for home field for a playoff game or two and will be wrapping the season up in STL in front of their fans against a weak team.

Think positive.......

True. Without looking at it more closely, I would think the better teams get their last games at home more frequently than losing teams.

You'd think the league office would want the good teams finishing their season at home if front of a full house of rabid fans instead of losing teams in a half filled dome.

fearsomefour

Legend
....and somewhere a Jaguars fan will be complaining they don't have any Monday Night games.
With as bad as the team has been over most of that stretch the stadium would by 60% empty.
I would like to see week 16 home teams based on the previous years win %. Don't bother, it's just a thought.
This bothers me a lot less than going to London to play and have count as a home game. Total waste.
8 at home, 8 away....doesn't matter if you win 4 games a year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I can see both sides, but when the Rams did play the shitchickens week 1 in Seattle, Rams got their asses kicked. Granted, different team in 2009 than it is now.

We had the shitchikens at home on Monday Nite. That's pretty generous, and a home game 2 years ago when Thursday Nite Football expanded all year, the first time.

But yeah, I would like a home finale against teh Cardinals or something.