Rams Roster Preview: RB Isaiah Pead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Roster Preview: RB Isaiah Pead
By Papa_Lurch

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/7/9/5882521/rams-roster-preview-rb-isaiah-pead

Once thought of as a future franchise cornerstone, where does Isaiah Pead fit into the suddenly crowded Rams backfield?

As a part of the trio of players the Rams selected in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft, Isaiah Pead was looked at as the heir apparent to Steven Jackson. After being beaten out for that prized backup spot by recently cut Daryl Richardson in 2012, he followed that up with being looked over in favor of Zac Stacy last year. Saying that he has been a disappointment since being drafted would be an understatement. Could a paradigm shift save Pead this season?

Roster Battle

To be blunt, Pead's chances of making a legitimate impact from the RB spot seems to be slim at best. Pead is now a "core" special teams player. He excelled in that role late last year, and as long as he can stay out of Fisher's dog house, he will likely fill a similar role this year. It's been reported that he will get a few looks at kick returner as well. He will compete with the likes of Tavon Austin and Chris Givens for that role.

Expectations

Any expectations of Pead have to focus on two things: consistency and attitude. Pead is somewhat infamous for his poor attitude during his tenure with the Rams. He's also been known to let his frustration get the better of him, leading to inconsistency in his performance. Fans, coaches, and teammates are all expecting Pead to mature and become a real profession in year three of his career.

Will He Make the Team?

If the coaching staff is as enamored with Pead (special teams player extraordinaire) as they lead the media to believe, Pead will undoubtedly make the team. Some will label him a bust for not living up to his draft status. Others will praise him for adapting to survive on a rapidly improving team. Fact is, he has the ability to be a solid contributor (albeit in a lesser role) so he will be a Ram when Week 1 rolls around.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Its a shame he can't seem to get his head straight.
With his talent he could be awesome as a RB.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Its a shame he can't seem to get his head straight.
With his talent he could be awesome as a RB.
Maybe going up against our New 'Up Tempo Williams D' in practice will help him! I think he's got it in him!!

Everyone needs a KR. We'll never get that pick back, but if he can contribute anything it won't be a complete waste.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Pead will bust out, bank it.....3rd down back....Fisher & Schotty will use this kid....He's our Shady...He's our Jamal Charles...We just gotta use this guy. He's got his mind right.....Why do you think they cut D-Rich?

F. Mulder

Starter
For me Pead is B Quick lite. He is another player I just can't give up on yet but it won't take much to say I'm wrong and move forward. For me Pead needs to come into camp (and remain) healthy and focused and must be able to show the team his impressive skill set. I often saw a nervous player who over-thought things instead of playing with instinct. Couple that with the IMPRESSION that he was somewhat immature coming in and you have a potential issue in a league where few players get THREE years to prove themselves (see B. Quick). Pead needs to really separate himself during camp and preseason. I think cutting D Rich helps him but then adding Mason puts another obstacle in his path. Like Quick, it is put up early or see you time for Pead.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I like Pead, (and think he'll make it as well), but he flat sucks as a KR, and don't get why Fisher keeps trying him there.
I get that I'm not a coach, but he just does not possess that quick-decision, one-cut burst you need at that position.
He DOES look good on the other side of ST's.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Pead, (and think he'll make it as well), but he flat sucks as a KR, and don't get why Fisher keeps trying him there.
I get that I'm not a coach, but he just does not possess that quick-decision, one-cut burst you need at that position.
He DOES look good on the other side of ST's.

naw vegas, this guys problem was indecisiveness....he's all about cut & burst...I think the league shocked him, seeing so many guys just as fast as he is was an eye-opener....He showed some flashes last year, esp. out of the backfield. He'll be effective if he comes early & stays late in TC, and will earn Snishers trust. Schotty wants to use him, he's the best RB as far as out of the backfield passes...Chain mover...We need him on the field.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Fair enough - hope you're right, but he's not shown it yet. But I don't think you can separate decision making and cutting - you need both.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I don't know if Pead will ever be a 1,000 yd 10 TD back but I have no doubt in my mind this guy has the ability to be a solid number 2 if he reaches his potential

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I don't think Pead will return kicks! Not his position I'm afraid. Mason will get a shot at that gig! Pead will end up as 3rd back and ST player! IMO!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I have Pead down as another player on a long list of Rams' players that have the potential to emerge this season.

I'm not counting on it though. He's had his opportunities and he fell flat. I would have kept DR over Pead. I hope I'm wrong because the kid IS talented.

FRO

Legend
I think he will make the team as the 4th RB. I don't see him getting too many carries though. Stacy, Cunningham have proven to be better options and I think Mason has the talent to be the best back on the roster. The guy will have to make his niche as a special teams player. And I agree with the post above that he is a poor returner.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he will gradually get more carries this season, and then be an important part of the rotation in 2015 - and then leave as a free agent, because it won't make sense for the Rams to resign him with their other RBs, and they'll be wanting to get a younger back in to be ready to take over a year or two later. At least he'll help get the Rams a comp pick.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Unless he can outplay Cunningham, I don't see why we should worry about his PT. Stacy has well earned his PT, Mason looks to fit in well, and Cunningham has shown he can buckle down and play well. Even Richardson (sucks about that foot last year) when he was healthy was effective.

Pead has shown not one of those things at RB.

Irish

Starter
I think he will gradually get more carries this season, and then be an important part of the rotation in 2015 - and then leave as a free agent, because it won't make sense for the Rams to resign him with their other RBs, and they'll be wanting to get a younger back in to be ready to take over a year or two later. At least he'll help get the Rams a comp pick.

You can count on one hand the number of NFL teams, successful or otherwise, who effectively utilize 3 runningbacks on Sundays. How can we possibly pencil in 4 runningbacks?

If Pead makes the team (which you have to assume he will), it will be on special teams. Stacy, Mason, and Cunningham are all three way ahead of him

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
You can count on one hand the number of NFL teams, successful or otherwise, who effectively utilize 3 runningbacks on Sundays. How can we possibly pencil in 4 runningbacks?

If Pead makes the team (which you have to assume he will), it will be on special teams. Stacy, Mason, and Cunningham are all three way ahead of him
How can Mason be "way ahead of him" when he has yet to participate in even one padded practice?

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
I would say Pead is a poor man's version of...But he's more of a homeless man's Marshal Faulk.
Pead could be the Rams best pass blocking running back, so I visulize Pead as a 3rd down back.
Pead didn't drop a pass last year, while Daryl Richardson's drop rate was 16.7%. Pead is here, and Richardson is gone.
Men mature, and perhaps Pead will too? Pead's 2013 outstanding special teams play hints at a positive attitude adjustment and a new improved Pead.

Don't be surprised if we end up with 4 very solid running backs. I feel our Running Backs rival our defensive line as our deepest position. I'm not saying our running backs are as good as our defensive line, I'm saying running back is a deep positional group.

Best case scenario? Pead is like a corvette Z-O6 put on blocks for a few years. Fisher puts radial racing slicks on Pead's low mileage, undented chassis, and it's time to drag race! Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about high heeled, cross dressing drag racers. That would be the worse case scenario.

Last edited: