Rams Roster Preview: CB Greg Reid

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Roster Preview: CB Greg Reid

By Papa_Lurch

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/7/13/5885903/rams-roster-preview-cb-greg-reid

The former FSU star hasn't seen game action since 2011... Can he make a difference in the secondary?

On December 29, 2011, Greg Reid played his final game as a Florida State Seminole. 15 Days later, Jeff Fisher changed the fate of the franchise by choosing the Rams head coaching position over a similar offer from the Dolphins. Let that sink in for a moment..... Greg Reid hasn't played a meaningful down on a football field since the Jeff Fisher and Les Snead took on this rebuilding project.

Fast forward two and a half years and Reid has been booted from the FSU program, had 2 ACL surgeries, and been arrested for a parole violation. I won't get too far into details, but if interested, you can find them here. It's a surprisehe hasn't been invited to a mentoring session by ever-probing commissioner Roger Goodell.

Roster Battle

Assuming that Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are the starters at CB, that leaves Reid to compete for playing time at Nickel CB. The issue is, the Rams are suddenly flush with promising potential at DB and that playing time is going to be fiercely battled for. In addition to Reid, you will have 2014 second round selection Lamarcus Joyner, the loser of the Rodney McLeod / Mo Alexander FS battle, Brandon McGee, and EJ Gaines... all jockeying for playing time in the slot.

Personally, I'm expecting Joyner to lock down the Nickel position in camp... so the real battle, in my opinion, is going to be between Reid and the others for the 4th and 5th CB slots. This is THE spot to watch on the defensive side of things during training camp. There will be arguably five guys (Reid, McLeod, Alexander, McGee, Gaines) with a legitimate shot to win the 4th CB job. I'm looking forward to seeing who steps up.

Expectations

First and foremost, Reid will have to show that his knee is back to 100% (he was reportedly running sub 4.4 before his injuries). After he shows that he is fully healed, he will have to stay clean and out of trouble with the law (and Roger Goodell).

If he can accomplish those things, I expect him to push for playing time in a dime DB role if he can manage to make the team. Which leads me to......

Will he Make the Team?

This is probably the toughest Rams Roster Preview I've had the pleasure of writing thus far. What it boils down to in the end is health and roster spots. I see the Rams carrying five CBs, with three of those spots being reserved for Jenkins, Johnson, and Joyner. With Brandon McGee largely disappointing last year, that leaves E.J. Gaines and a glut of UDFA's fighting for 2 roster spots. Again, if healthy, I think Reid will win one of those final 2 spots.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hope the Rams keep 6.

You can NEVER have enough CB's.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Mo Alexander is a CB? Thought he was a safety and IMO that's where he'll be listed on the depth chart. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd give Robison more of a shot to stick at CB than Mo.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Mo Alexander is a CB? Thought he was a safety and IMO that's where he'll be listed on the depth chart. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd give Robison more of a shot to stick at CB than Mo.
Exactly! Alexander is not even close to a CB spot ... Roberson is the last guy in the mix

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO barring injury Reid makes the team because I have a feeling they are going to take a look at him returning punts in preseason and I'm betting he takes one to the house. The six CB's they will keep:

Johnson
Jenkins
Joyner
McGee
Gaines
Reid

Best depth at that position in years.

nighttrain

Legend
IMO barring injury Reid makes the team because I have a feeling they are going to take a look at him returning punts in preseason and I'm betting he takes one to the house. The six CB's they will keep:

Johnson
Jenkins
Joyner
McGee
Gaines
Reid

i would like this :)
train

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Johnson
Jenkins
Joyner
McGee
Gaines
Reid

Not that I couldn't see that happening, but I think Christian Bryant's health might have as much to do with Reid making the team as Reid ability to show he is able to shake off the rust of not playing for 2+ years.

IF, Bryant shows to be ready to contribute, I doubt they keep 6 CBs. With McLeod, McDonald, Davis, Alexander and a healthy Bryant, they would me much more likely to keep 5 CBs & 5 S.

Now, if Bryant ends up on PUP/IR for the season, it will become a battle between Reid, Roberson and Woodard for that 6th spot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Not that I couldn't see that happening, but I think Christian Bryant's health might have as much to do with Reid making the team as Reid ability to show he is able to shake off the rust of not playing for 2+ years.

IF, Bryant shows to be ready to contribute, I doubt they keep 6 CBs. With McLeod, McDonald, Davis, Alexander and a healthy Bryant, they would me much more likely to keep 5 CBs & 5 S.

Now, if Bryant ends up on PUP/IR for the season, it will become a battle between Reid, Roberson and Woodard for that 6th spot.

Bryant seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder too. Guys like that play harder than most.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Or they keep Bryant and release Davis? Joyner can play both (CB & FS) thus making it the best DB who can contribute the most on special teams wins. I'm betting on the guy if healthy that broke Deon Sanders record for punt returns at FSU.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Or they keep Bryant and release Davis? Joyner can play both (CB & FS) thus making it the best DB who can contribute the most on special teams wins. I'm betting on the guy if healthy that broke Deon Sanders record for punt returns at FSU.

You may be right, but ST is much more than being the backup PR guy. maybe it's just me, but I think he has an uphill climb, coming off the 2 knee surgeries, missing what amounts to 2 full seasons of competition, and that's BEFORE you take into account there are some pretty good players he has to compete with for the roster spot.

Joyner is NOT a CB, even tho he will be counted on to man the Nickel spot. And IF he does indeed win that job, his snaps at Safety will be limited.

What I do find to be interesting, we are now to the point with this team, that we are debating the 50th player on the roster, as opposed to who the top 22 might end up being.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You may be right, but ST is much more than being the backup PR guy. maybe it's just me, but I think he has an uphill climb, coming off the 2 knee surgeries, missing what amounts to 2 full seasons of competition, and that's BEFORE you take into account there are some pretty good players he has to compete with for the roster spot.

Joyner is NOT a CB, even tho he will be counted on to man the Nickel spot. And IF he does indeed win that job, his snaps at Safety will be limited.

What I do find to be interesting, we are now to the point with this team, that we are debating the 50th player on the roster, as opposed to who the top 22 might end up being.

I don't disagree and even with the expanded role at WR IMO the Rams will keep Tavon Austin returning punts although I hope the remove him from kickoffs. Overall you are most likely correct, but I have a feeling that if the kid can stay healthy and play quite a bit in preseason, it only takes a couple of electric returns to turn a few heads.

Now as to the 50th guy well, that's the fun if you don't who the first 22 are that can be very depressing, but it's nice to be debating the last defensive back they will keep. Although Spagnuolo in his infant wisdom only kept four one year and in the first game they lost two CB's.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Do you really think it's possible for the Rams to keep 5 CB's and 5 S's!? With the Teams needs at other positions I can't see how! Could you explain how? Thanks Coach!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Do you really think it's possible for the Rams to keep 5 CB's and 5 S's!? With the Teams needs at other positions I can't see how! Could you explain how? Thanks Coach!!

Be it 5 & 5, or 6 & 4, I think its very likely they keep 10 DBs.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Be it 5 & 5, or 6 & 4, I think its very likely they keep 10 DBs.
By my 'Guess' work. I have the rams keeping: 9 O-Line, 2 QB's, 6 WR's, 3 RB's, 6 WR's, 3 TE's, 1 K, 1 P, 1 LS, 9 D-Line, 5 LB's, and 8 DB's. this is why I was wondering how we could keep 10 DB's on the 53 man roster? were am I going wrong? Thanks again!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
By my 'Guess' work. I have the rams keeping: 9 O-Line, 2 QB's, 6 WR's, 3 RB's, 6 WR's, 3 TE's, 1 K, 1 P, 1 LS, 9 D-Line, 5 LB's, and 8 DB's. this is why I was wondering how we could keep 10 DB's on the 53 man roster? were am I going wrong? Thanks again!

you might start by not counting WRs twice,,, unless you plan on them keeping 12 WRs,,

My count goes something like this.......

2 Qbs; 4 RBs; 6 WRs; 4 TEs; 9 OL; 9 DL; 6 LB 10 DBs; 3 ST (K, P, LS)

The only think IMO, that changes that number of DBs, is whether or not they decide to keep 10 OL

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
you might start by not counting WRs twice,,, unless yoi plan on them keeping 12 WRs,, LOL
Oops! Before I posted this I re-read it twice and knew something was wrong, and couldn't figure it out:ROFLMAO: I'll Try again 10 O-Line, 2 QB's, 6 WR's, 4 RB's, 4 TE's 1 K, 1 P, 1 LS, 9 D-Line, 6 LB's, and 9 DB's. That's Better! Thoughts now!?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Oops! Before I posted this I re-read it twice and knew something was wrong, and couldn't figure it out:ROFLMAO: I'll Try again 10 O-Line, 2 QB's, 6 WR's, 4 RB's, 4 TE's 1 K, 1 P, 1 LS, 9 D-Line, 6 LB's, and 9 DB's. That's Better! Thoughts now!?

I like that a whole lot better,. and as I said, I think it will come down to how many OL they decide to keep. If they go with 10 (Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale, Joseph, Barnes, Jones, Bond/Person/Van Dyk), then i agree they "only" keep 9 DBs.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like that a whole lot better,. and as I said, I think it will come down to how many OL they decide to keep. If they go with 10 (Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale, Joseph, Barnes, Jones, Bond/Person/Van Dyk), then i agree they "only" keep 9 DBs.
Thanks for the opinion Coach O! My gut is telling me that Van Dyk will be #10.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I can't see Joyner at safety...Just a feeling, he looks a lil light in the pants. I understand he hits like a tank, but that was college....I'd really like to see him in pre-season games to feel out his man to man coverage for the slot cb, but I gotta go with Fisher that he plans on playing him there.

I see Reid making the roster, Gaines too...Roberson maybe gets a PS spot. Woodyard & Pointer getting the axe....

Johnson-Jenkins-Joyner-McGee-Reid-Gaines....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

^ It is sooo nice!