Rams roster move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Smallish quick and nimble guy known for his scrambling ability faking out a big LB and running by him? Doesn't sound right to me. :LOL:

Well it didn't happen in the first half and in the second half Wilson had the entire side open to him for much of the time. Maybe it wasn't all of Ogletrees responsibility but it seemed to be in the first half. If it was just a matter of outrunning, then okay. But it was more a matter of blown assignments because there was simply too much space for Wilson to make his moves.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to give up that egde the way Ogletree did. I can understand if he was just flat out beat by the qb but he wasnt... He beat himself by taking an inside angle as if the RB had the ball and he was running to the other freaking side of the field. Even if Wilson didn't have the ball and he handed it to the rb, tree had like a 10% chance of making a takle. The whole flow of the play went away from him but he took an inside angle when he should have had outside containment. That's a high school mistake... a little league mistake.... like i said I could see if Wilson made a good play but he didn't, Ogletree made a horrific play.
That pretty much sums up why its a scheme thing or misunderstanding of his read

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As far as Ogletree and "bad tackling" I also have three words.

Tony freaking Romo
Because Romo is usually so easy to bring down? I hate that slippery son of a beech

**Really had nothing to do with your post, I just wanted to call Romo a slippery son of a beech

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
yes, but they also usually carry 6 LBs,,, not 5 RBs, but they aren't getting rid of Chase Reynolds or Trey Watts at this point. Both are more valuable to the roster than a 6th WR.

And all of this will be revisited in a couple of week when Chris Long is ready to come back. Hopefully, by then, the CB situation will have been sorted out, with Johnson and McGee making their way back. And then, IMO, assuming they keep all 6 LBs, you could be looking at McGee or Watts being at risk.

The health situation @ CB is key here IMO. When our top CB Trumaine Johnson returns to full health along with a healthy Jenkins, Gaines, Roberson & the Nickle Joyner.....then...the thus far injury prone Brandon McGee may have less value to this team than a UDFA RB Watts. I sure like what I see in Watts!

The Brandon McGee plan was for him to be the first reserve CB to any injury & to be the No#1 gunner on ST's to use McGee's speed. Early foot injury in pre season took McGee out on both of those responsibilities. McGee was healthy enough to play in game #2 Buc's game & played well too but re-injured that foot too. It looks like Gaines has certainly uprooted McGee as the top reserve CB when Johnson returns. But that outstanding 4.40 speed of McGee still makes him valuable. If McGee does not get better & improve in rehab Rams could IR McGee & postpone that hard decision for much later.

Rams main master roster loaded with five RB's plus a player of Tavon Austin talent does sound like a Luxury. I would have to cut a RB & keep the CB myself.

Alan

Legend
Elmgrovegnome strying to narrow it down:
Well it didn't happen in the first half and in the second half Wilson had the entire side open to him for much of the time. Maybe it wasn't all of Ogletrees responsibility but it seemed to be in the first half. If it was just a matter of outrunning, then okay. But it was more a matter of blown assignments because there was simply too much space for Wilson to make his moves.
I see some of this and some of that. Guys like Wilson are going to make plays but I don't disagree about the blown assignments and the too much thinking part. He's still going to make rookie mistakes even though he isn't technically a rookie.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You are looking solely at these guys getting snaps at LB, and negating the role on Special Teams, especially given the current status of the CB position. They are using guys like McDonald, Joyner, Gaines, and McLeod all on the kickoff coverage unit. Not sure having all of your starting DBs covering kickoff is what they want to do.

I also think LAST YEARS snap counts for the backup LBs is irrelevant. They had 3 ROOKIE LBs who were all converted safeties and were here solely for their ST contributions (with the exception of Ogletree). That isn't necessarily the case this year. They signed Herring, who has experience in Williams' defense. Bates has progressed and is no longer considered a liability at the position. And McFadden is not a rookie. Does that mean they put all 6 on the active roster every Sunday? Doubtful. But they now have options in the event Dunbar is still banged up.

There is also the issue of the "off the field" stuff which has been mentioned here. It seems that Fisher is finally taking a stand and holding players (especially fringe players) accountable.

In IMO, the roster is in much better shape today, than it was on Sept 7th. They have all 5 WRs healthy, and once they get healthy again in the secondary, I anticipate another late season run, which Fisher's teams are known for.

Last edited:

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I didn't realize it had already posted. Double post.

Funny Hipster Joke -

How do you kill a hipster?

Drown them in mainstream.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
They signed Herring, who has experience in Williams' defense. Bates has progressed and is no longer considered a liability at the position. And McFadden is not a rookie. Does that mean they put all 6 on the active roster every Sunday? Doubtful. But they now have options in the event Dunbar is still banged up.

I agree Coach. I also think,as you said the injuries to CB and Bailey's suspension distorted the roster. Finally I think they are setting up the roster for tne next 4 to 6 games. Most of these teams feature more of an outside of tackle running attack. They are going to need extremely good OLB play and depth.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Smallish quick and nimble guy known for his scrambling ability faking out a big LB and running by him? Doesn't sound right to me. :LOL:
I haven't seen anyone stop him yet, when he's in that mode.