Rams rank among worst drafting teams since 2002/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams rank among worst drafting teams since last expansion
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ong-worst-drafting-teams-since-last-expansion

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- There's probably no better indicator of success in the NFL draft than simply going with wins and losses.

But as metrics have advanced, other methods for evaluating such things have evolved as well. One such method is the use of "Approximate Value." It's a relatively new statistic that has been developed as a means to replicate what "wins above replacement" has become to baseball.

Approximate value assigns a single number intended to indicate performance in a single season for every player. The formula to reach that number is explained here. The goal is to use that number to compare players across positions and seasons.

To evaluate draft performance, those numbers are used across a player's first four seasons (which is now the standard length of a drafted rookie contract) and compared to the expected value of a player taken in his particular draft spot. In most cases, first-round picks are expected to perform the best, so the teams that draft the best are the ones who generally make hay in the later rounds.

With all of that context out of the way, it should come as no surprise to see the St. Louis Rams rank as one of the five worst drafting teams in the league since 2002. Fans of the team don't need the numbers to tell them that players such as Jimmy Kennedy, Tye Hill, Alex Barron, Adam Carriker and so many others qualify as draft whiffs. The number of losses on the team's ledger in that time states that clearly.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Rams are joined by Detroit, Oakland, Tampa Bay and Cleveland as the five worst drafting teams in that span. Again, not a surprise given the results on the field. Using those metrics, Stats & Info ranks the Rams' choices of tackle Jason Smith (No. 2 overall), running back Isaiah Pead (No. 50 overall) and Hill (No. 15 overall) as the three worst picks made by the Rams relative to other players drafted at their positions.

Even more damning is that the Rams rank with the Lions and Raiders as the three worst teams at finding value in rounds 4 through 7. That's a sobering number considering the number of misses the Rams have had in the first round in that time (Barron, Kennedy, Hill, Carriker, Smith). But the Rams have had more success in the earlier rounds recently with players like Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald. Wven when they don't hit a home run, they avoided massive busts like Smith lately.

And the team's performance drafting in the later rounds might be getting a boost from some of the early returns on players taken recently. Cornerback E.J. Gaines was one of the steals of last year's draft in the sixth round, and other useful players such as defensive end Eugene Sims and running back Zac Stacy have also come in later rounds.

Though the Rams have drafted better in recent years than they did in the early 2000s, they still have a ways to go to catch up with the teams that rank at the top. Using the same numbers, Seattle, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Green Bay and Pittsburgh rank as the top five teams in the league at drafting.

Those teams have combined for five Super Bowls and 49 playoff wins in that time.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2002-2006 really hurt the franchise.

And, it's been a slow climb back up the hill since.

I know this team has more potential than any Rams team in many years, but some of the kids from Snisher's first two drafts have to make an appreciable positive difference this year if they hope to make it to the playoffs.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
image.jpg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way I look at it is...
Martz started the slide... he was very bad.
Linehan took a bad situation and added epic failure... 2006 was the worst draft in the franchis'es history.
Spagnuolo started a climb out of the morrass... (albeit a slow climb)
Fisher has accelerated and the improvement in drafting (helped largely by the Washington trade).

I feel like this has to be the year we reap what we've sown.... in a good way.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'd like to see where we rank in 2020 since 2010. Having that witch of an owner will make any team look historically bad. I mean, who the fuck hires accountants and lawyers to evaluate the talents of players?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right now all that matters is from 2012 going forward. Everyone who was making the decisions before that are no longer here.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Martz was a good coach, bad drafter, Vanillahan was even worse. Spags and Co. did okay, and Snead looks like a genius after those guys!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In other news, water is wet, the sun rises in the east, and my ex-gf is batshit crazy. Of course the drafts were horrible - that's why their record was so horrendous for years.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ahh the draft is coming so every local sportswriter in every NFL city, or actually every city, is writing an article about "how (insert team here) sucks at/is great at drafting and here is the obvious info to back up this boring ass article"

Is he working at a radio station?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
2002-2006 really hurt the franchise.

And, it's been a slow climb back up the hill since.

I know this team has more potential than any Rams team in many years, but some of the kids from Snisher's first two drafts have to make an appreciable positive difference this year if they hope to make it to the playoffs.

Also the fact that right before the rookie cap was set we had the 2nd overall highest player twice, and then the first. Also known as the highest paid rookie(s) ever. One of which only panned out. Which then led to a single year of the NFC worst, being transformed into one of the most powerful divisions in the history of the league overnight.

Which was all after the losing streaks (as if they've ever stopped), and Martz being fired, etc. Then the team moves back to L.A.

(but only after they win the Lombardi in Stl one more time)

Bitches

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Everyone says the draft is a turkey shoot. If a kid stays healthy and is relatively productive, you're a genius. If something happens (your fault or not...) you're an idiot. And then you have clown news like this (no pot shots at you Rambill.....you're just the messenger....) that take data and try to act like it's a trend. Hey how does New England do in drafting.....oh yeah...outside their lucky find in the 6th round, they only use guys who haven't fulfilled their "potential" and are successful. (bargain basement free agents...).

okay, that's all I had to rant on.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Brady and Belichek are for real, but the plain truth is they start out 6-0 every year cuz they are in the worst division in football.

No Brady , different division, they 're average at best. Too lazy to look it up, but would love to know their record vs. their division since 2000.

jap

Legend
Martz was a good coach, bad drafter, Vanillahan was even worse. Spags and Co. did okay, and Snead looks like a genius after those guys!

Mad Mike needed a true general manager---Ziggy was a complete and utter waste of time!!!

jap

Legend
The way I look at it is...
Martz started the slide... he was very bad.
Linehan took a bad situation and added epic failure... 2006 was the worst draft in the franchis'es history.
Spagnuolo started a climb out of the morrass... (albeit a slow climb)
Fisher has accelerated and the improvement in drafting (helped largely by the Washington trade).

I feel like this has to be the year we reap what we've sown.... in a good way.

It is because of the piss-poor drafting, especially at OL, why I have felt like the Rams did nothing much to help the offense. I believe our current OL anchors, GRob and Beetlejuice, have been the only truly worthwhile picks the last decade. Yes, I remember the Jason Brown/Jacob Bell pickups and the Jason Smith drafting. However, for whatever reasons, those guys never panned out; so a lot of money and time was completely wasted.

I hate seeing Coach Bou constantly put in situations where he has to convert marginal players into solid players. This is the same guy who built up the Atlanta Falcons OL when they were the NFL's best. I would much rather see him working with blue chip rookies and solid NFL vets and taking their talent upwards.

The NFC West is ours if we would only right the OL!!!

FrankenRam

Starter
It is because of the pee pee-poor drafting, especially at OL, why I have felt like the Rams did nothing much to help the offense. I believe our current OL anchors, GRob and Beetlejuice, have been the only truly worthwhile picks the last decade. Yes, I remember the Jason Brown/Jacob Bell pickups and the Jason Smith drafting. However, for whatever reasons, those guys never panned out; so a lot of money and time was completely wasted.

I hate seeing Coach Bou constantly put in situations where he has to convert marginal players into solid players. This is the same guy who built up the Atlanta Falcons OL when they were the NFL's best. I would much rather see him working with blue chip rookies and solid NFL vets and taking their talent upwards.

The NFC West is ours if we would only right the OL!!!

But isn't that the very definition of what makes a great coach? Heck, give me a line full of 'naturals' and I might be able to fool the world into thinking I'm a great coach.

jap

Legend
But isn't that the very definition of what makes a great coach? Heck, give me a line full of 'naturals' and I might be able to fool the world into thinking I'm a great coach.

The point is: if he can turn marginal players into workable talent, he should be able to turn solid players into superior warriors. Coach Bou inherited Beetlejuice from the last regime and was instrumental in GRob's drafting. The jury is still out on Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney, but it would help to have better material to train to begin with.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
If Oakland has a top 5 pick every year, how do they still suck?