Rams pick up two 5th year options.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm gonna hate to see what both of those dudes cost. #1 RB and a true #1 CB, and we still haven't signed donald lol. Sigh, i guess it's a good problem to have. Too much talent!!! hahahaha

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm gonna hate to see what both of those dudes cost. #1 RB and a true #1 CB, and we still haven't signed donald lol. Sigh, i guess it's a good problem to have. Too much talent!!! hahahaha
Yeah but we’ve got 2 seasons before we gotta worry about it and 1 of em could get franchise tag.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Hey OldSchool, Dieter, or anybody, can someone please explain why it is that there is such a big discrepancy between the cost of franchising a CB and a RB? I understand there being a difference, but a 6 million dollar difference?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Hey OldSchool, Dieter, or anybody, can someone please explain why it is that there is such a big discrepancy between the cost of franchising a CB and a RB? I understand there being a difference, but a 6 million dollar difference?

I believe it has to do with there draft slots. top 10 picks get quite a bit more in that 5th year option than Peters who was picked in the 20s I believe.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good. Now let's re-sign Donald and Cooks, and I'll be happy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Supply and demand. RB is easier to find in the draft (and also have a shorter shelf life), thus teams don't pony up as much buckage to sign them.

Look at the Steelers' situation with Leveon. They're playin hardball for that reason.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

The Franchise tag amount is determined by the top 5 salaries at a given position at the current amounts (so for now, it would be for the 2018 salaries).

Different positions are valued differently and there have been disputes.

Centers and guards have wanted to all be OL, while OTs want it dealt with by position.

The price for RBs went down especially with respect to the cap due to there not being 5 major signings that would affect the Franchise tag.

LeVeon Bell and Gurley "should" see upwards of $14 million, but when you see WRs like Sammy get broke off for $16M... it's easy to see why guys who are the centerpiece of their respective offenses and contribute raw output of several times what some of these receivers do... it's easy to see why they don't like the Franchise tag.

With the existing big salaries at the WR position and the lack of huge RB signings... I'm surprised the Franchise Tag isn't more.

I actually think other than Safety and maybe Center, RB is about the lowest paying position. Which is crazy, if you think about it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The top corner in 2018 Trumaine Johnson signed a five year, $72.5 million contract with the Jets on March 16, 2018. $34 million of the contract is guaranteed at signing, including a $20 million signing bonus.

RB is a big unknown just look at the Bell situation this off season.

We do know that Gurley will earn $9.63 mil & Peters $9.069 million for their 5th yr option.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The option for top-ten picks is set at an amount equal to the salary of the Transition Tender (set in Article 10, Section 4 of the CBA) for the player’s fourth contract year. This salary is calculated, basically, by finding the average of the top ten highest Prior Year Salaries for players that played the same position. Positions are defined by the spot a player spent the most plays at during the previous season (Sec. 7, (a), 31).

For players selected between the 11th and 32nd rounds in the draft, the same calculation is used to compute their salaries. The difference is that the average of the third through 25th highest Prior Year Salaries for the player’s position equals the player’s fifth-year salary.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
The Franchise tag amount is determined by the top 5 salaries at a given position at the current amounts (so for now, it would be for the 2018 salaries).

Different positions are valued differently and there have been disputes.

Centers and guards have wanted to all be OL, while OTs want it dealt with by position.

The price for RBs went down especially with respect to the cap due to there not being 5 major signings that would affect the Franchise tag.

LeVeon Bell and Gurley "should" see upwards of $14 million, but when you see WRs like Sammy get broke off for $16M... it's easy to see why guys who are the centerpiece of their respective offenses and contribute raw output of several times what some of these receivers do... it's easy to see why they don't like the Franchise tag.

With the existing big salaries at the WR position and the lack of huge RB signings... I'm surprised the Franchise Tag isn't more.

I actually think other than Safety and maybe Center, RB is about the lowest paying position. Which is crazy, if you think about it.
Thanks Mack
For a long time the league has devalued the running game so much so that many teams refused to even draft a running back in the first round, and with a few exceptions has never gotten the recognition it should.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
The option for top-ten picks is set at an amount equal to the salary of the Transition Tender (set in Article 10, Section 4 of the CBA) for the player’s fourth contract year. This salary is calculated, basically, by finding the average of the top ten highest Prior Year Salaries for players that played the same position. Positions are defined by the spot a player spent the most plays at during the previous season (Sec. 7, (a), 31).

For players selected between the 11th and 32nd rounds in the draft, the same calculation is used to compute their salaries. The difference is that the average of the third through 25th highest Prior Year Salaries for the player’s position equals the player’s fifth-year salary.
Thanks Old School.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I love Todd Gurley !

Not only is he the best running back in the league but he has not made a peep about his contract situation. He just placed second in MVP voting and is the most humble guy .

Can't ask for a better face of the franchise that our QB and RB .