Rams officially awarded compensatory picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
B-But... the Rams traded away their entire next ten years for Jared Goff! R-right????

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We didn't trade all our draft picks but we did trade a lot of premium picks.

but the rams got their premium qb. and with fisher and his dullard ocs out the way goff has a great chance of making it in this league.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
We didn't trade all our draft picks but we did trade a lot of premium picks.

This is true but they acquired a premium pick and moved up 15 spots in the process. Regardless if you (meaning anyone) like Goff or not, they did a good job moving up that many picks. They didnt give up a draft like some pundits make it out they did.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
This is true but they acquired a premium pick and moved up 15 spots in the process. Regardless if you (meaning anyone) like Goff or not, they did a good job moving up that many picks. They didnt give up a draft like some pundits make it out they did.

It irritates me everytime I hear or read that the Rams gave up their future for Goff. The pundits obviously dont even look for facts, they just make shit up as they go. The Rams gave up 6 picks and got 3 in return, IMO that does not equate to giving away your future. IMO the Rams pulled off a coup, getting their QB of the future and only giving up 4 picks to do so, as they got 2 other picks besides the #1.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It irritates me everytime I hear or read that the Rams gave up their future for Goff. The pundits obviously dont even look for facts, they just make crap up as they go. The Rams gave up 6 picks and got 3 in return, IMO that does not equate to giving away your future. IMO the Rams pulled off a coup, getting their QB of the future and only giving up 4 picks to do so, as they got 2 other picks besides the #1.
I agree.

Rams gave up some picks, sure. But the Rams knew it was likely they'd receive comp picks, so we'd just be without a 1st this year. Rams took a bit of a risk for a possible high reward without giving away everything. I'm okay with that.

FRO

Legend
B-But... the Rams traded away their entire next ten years for Jared Goff! R-right????
Let's not act like not having a first and the extra third don't hurt. If Goff turns it around it will be worth it, if not it sets the team back.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
It irritates me everytime I hear or read that the Rams gave up their future for Goff. The pundits obviously dont even look for facts, they just make crap up as they go. The Rams gave up 6 picks and got 3 in return, IMO that does not equate to giving away your future. IMO the Rams pulled off a coup, getting their QB of the future and only giving up 4 picks to do so, as they got 2 other picks besides the #1.

Not to mention the deal is completed in one draft.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
That premium pick they aquired comes at a heavy price. It cost us our #1 corner so it's not like it's a pick we got for nothing. Heavy price was paid in my opinion.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Let's not act like not having a first and the extra third don't hurt. If Goff turns it around it will be worth it, if not it sets the team back.
Sets the team back to what ?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The Rams gave up 6 picks and got 3 in return, IMO that does not equate to giving away your future. IMO the Rams pulled off a coup, getting their QB of the future and only giving up 4 picks to do so, as they got 2 other picks besides the #1.

Titans trade their Number 1 Overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft to the Rams.

Rams get the Titans 2016 (#1) (#113) (#177) selections

Titans
get the Rams (#15) (#43) (#45) (#76) in 2016 and (#5) (#100) in 2017

If you look at the players the Rams could've drafted in 2016 had they decided not to address their huge quarterback need with the top 2 rated QB's in Goff & Wentz, we can take a hypothetical look back at the players chosen in 2016 within 5 selections of the picks the Rams sent to the Titans.

We will never be sure who the Rams had ranked on their board if they never made the trade in 2016 but we can speculate on the players they missed out on if they never traded up for Goff.

I listed the players drafted within 5 selections of every Rams draft pick they gave away to the Titans.

If the Rams never traded their #15 pick, these were the selections from 15-19 in the 2016 NFL draft

#15 Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
#16 Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
#17 Keanu Neal, S, Florida
#18 Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama
#19 Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

If the Rams never traded their #43 pick, these were the selections from 43-48 in the 2016 NFL draft

#43 Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State
#44 Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
#45 Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
#46 A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
#47 Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

If the Rams never traded their #45 Pick, these were the selections from 45-49 in the 2016 NFL draft

#45 Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
#46 A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
#47 Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
#48 Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
#49 Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

If the Rams never traded their #76 Pick, these were the selections from 76-80 in the 2016 NFL draft

#76 Shon Coleman, OT, Auburn
#77 Daryl Worley, CB, West Virginia
#78 Joe Thuney, OG, NC State
#79 Isaac Seumalo, OC, Oregon State
#80 Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State

My point is.... Unless Goff ends up being a FLOP or Wentz ends up being a Top 10 quarterback the next 10 years, how much better off would the Rams be had they kept their 2016 draft choices by never taking a risk and trading up for one of the top 2 rated quarterbacks named Goff or Wentz?

Even if they never made the trade in 2016 we will never know what quarterbacks they had targeted in the 2016 draft? We can't just assume they would've picked Paxton Lynch at #15 with him sliding all the way to the 26th pick. We will never know if they would be lucky enough to select Dak Prescott with their #117 pick in the 4th Round as he fell to the Cowboys at #135.

Without the trade, the Rams would likely be stuck with Case Keenum as an Unrestricted Free Agent and Sean Mannion being their best QB prospect heading into the 2017 free agency period. They might be looking to sign or trade for a veteran NFL QB or needing to draft one 2017.

We still need to add the rest of the Draft Capitol the Rams gave away in 2017. The Titans will have the Rams 2017 #5 and #100 picks. Would the Rams have been able to get a franchise QB with the #5 or # 100 picks in the 2017 draft?

Anyway when you look at the entire context of the trade assuming Goff doesn't flounder combined with Wentz being a multiple time all pro, this is another perspective of what the Rams quarterback situation might be like today.

bigstock-Risk-And-Reward-Balance-87359588.jpg

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Goff is what he was drafted to be; NOBODY will question the amount given.

We didn't have a starting QB. Those are kinda important (y)

(And... we just got his rookie year out of the way. That's another big step when drafting a QB.)