Rams notes: Second-year corner McGee is stepping up his game/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Second-year corner McGee is stepping up his game
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_785d7ebb-fc04-5710-94b0-70989b40e122.html

As a rookie last season, cornerback Brandon McGee played in 15 games. In the Rams’ secondary, he ranks fourth in NFL seniority behind third-year players Rodney McLeod (32 games), Janoris Jenkins (31 games) and Trumaine Johnson (28 games).

There are 16 corners and safeties on the Rams’ 90-man training camp roster. Of those, nine have yet to take a snap in an NFL game.

“It’s definitely unique, being part of such a young group,” said McGee, a 23-year-old from the University of Miami. “It keeps it fresh, it keeps it alive, and it keeps it fun. We’re competing day in and day out, and I think that’s something that will make all of us better in the long run. No one here is afraid of competition or shies away from it. We embrace it.”

A fifth-round draft pick in 2013, McGee was in on just 78 plays from scrimmage — roughly the equivalent of one game — and contributed seven tackles and three assists last season. But he became a core player on special teams, tying for third on the squad with six tackles.

“I would’ve liked to contribute more defensively, but when I got a chance, I felt like I played decent,” he said. “And I felt like I did pretty well in my special teams role. Special teams is such a big part of the game, especially at this level because one hit or one block can change a game.

“We take a lot of pride in what we did last year, and every one of us is looking for even more success on special teams this year.”

The 5-foot-11, 193-pound McGee has been getting some work with the starters, and he feels the team overall is getting better with each practice.

“As a rookie, there’s just a different learning curve,” he said. “Most of the time, you feel like you’re learning on the fly. But now, with a that first season under my belt, I’m definitely more comfortable. I have a better understanding of the defense and of the offensive routes; I know how to take care of my body better and to prepare for the day-to-day grind here.”

And like his teammates, McGee is excited about playing for new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

“Coach Williams, he brings a lot of tenacity and feistiness with his play-calling,” McGee said. “He’s a guy who’s going to challenge you to get better and to compete on every play.”

COACHING HELP

The Rams coaching staff this summer includes four former NFL players involved in the Bill Walsh Minority Coaching Fellowship program. They are: former Titans running back John Simon (a coach at Southern Mississippi); former Titans defensive lineman Tony Brown (an assistant at Tennessee-Chattanooga); former Colts, Falcons and Jaguars linebacker Mike Peterson (an assistant at Florida, his alma mater); and former Bills, Redskins, Jags and Saints safety Pierson Prioleau (who coaches at Radford High in Virginia).

“It’s a good group of guys,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said.

The program’s objective is to use NFL club’s training camps, offseason workout programs and minicamps to give talented minority coaches opportunities to observe, participate, gain experience, and ultimately gain full-time NFL coaching positions. The program is named after the late 49ers coaching legend who came up with the idea and then helped the NFL implement it the late 1980s.

Two current Rams coaches, assistant linebackers coach Joe Bowden and assistant defensive line coach Clyde Simmons, are among the many program graduates who went on to secure full-time positions. There are three active NFL head coaches — Tampa Bay’s Lovie Smith, Pittsburgh’s Mike Tomlin and Cincinnati’s Marvin Lewis — who are products of the program.

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams return to the practice field Friday at 3:30 p.m. The session at Rams Park is free and open to the public. On Saturday, the team will shift to the Edward Jones Dome for its FanFest event, with a practice at 12:30 p.m.

• Several NFL officials were on hand for Thursday’s workout and are scheduled to meet with the team and the media in separate sessions to review rule changes and to give a presentation on sportsmanship and workplace conduct.

• Former Rams assistant coach Blake Williams — son of defensive coordinator Gregg — attended Thursday’s workout along with the rest of the William Jewell College coaching staff. The younger Williams is the Cardinals’ defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.

High school staffs on the sideline at Rams Park included Lindbergh, Mehlville, Borgia, Gateway Tech, Cleveland and Pana, Ill.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams need You and Me and Brandon McGee to step up, but the early reports from training camp have been checkered at best. Many have communicated that the loss of Trumaine Johnson or Janoris Jenkins would be catastrophic to the secondary.

Really hoping McGee and E.J. Gaines can provide quality depth and maybe some of the others as well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
McGee was pretty rough last year. Like Den, the thought of losing a starter is still pretty scary to me.

But; if McGee steps up... That's HUGE!

This is a unit I am excited to evaluate in preseason. Lots of interesting pieces.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm looking forward to seeing Gaines the most. Steal of the draft in my opinion. Should have went a lot sooner. Don't be surprised if, as the season goes on, he hops over McGee on the depth chart(if McGee indeed keeps his spot).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm looking forward to seeing Gaines the most. Steal of the draft in my opinion. Should have went a lot sooner. Don't be surprised if, as the season goes on, he hops over McGee on the depth chart(if McGee indeed keeps his spot).

I can't recall a draft where I liked as many of our picks like I do with the 2014 draft.

I agree with you; Gaines has the potential to be a very good player in this league.

diverdown

UDFA
Weak article in my opinion - there is no evidence provided that he is "stepping up" his game, just a mention that he now has a year under his belt. As discussed elsewhere in this forum, McGee has actually struggled so far in practices.

Alan

Legend
diverdown getting down on McGee and up on the ROD:
Weak article in my opinion - there is no evidence provided that he is "stepping up" his game, just a mention that he now has a year under his belt. As discussed elsewhere in this forum, McGee has actually struggled so far in practices.
Welcome to the ROD diver! (y) :welcome: :party: :sup: :lifting::seizure: :rockon: :cheers:
Good decision to join in on the fun. I doubt you'll be sorry you joined our community. :banana: You're testing my ability to restrain myself with your screen name. Fortunately we're a PG rated site or I'd have lots of fun with that. I'm going to go in a different (and safer) direction though. :ROFLMAO:

We frequently use blue font when we're just joking around so if you come across something in that font color don't take it at face value (except when applicable). :LOL:

We also have a members map which shows you where most of our members are. Stop by and pin your location.
images
quote.jpg

Last edited:

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Stepping up? From the camp reports he sounds like he's Justin King 2.0

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Stepping up? From the camp reports he sounds like he's Justin King 2.0

Yeah, haven't really heard of any moment where he made a nice play. Just heard of all the times he gets beat, over and over.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Now you guys got me analyzing the authors too. Does he even watch camp? Does McGee look at film? Is he talking about his one start versus Chicago? Ok? Really? I like when guys own up to their performances. And I like McGee's skill-set. Good speed, tough, and leader type. He better step his game up or Gaines will be in his spot. I think he can play better, but with all of the reports out, I need to see for myself. And multiple reports don't lie....Like a lot of Mizzu fans, I'm so happy we got Gaines.....And he can really play it seems...I still wanna see what Reid can bring, and I'm pleased with the depth we have at corner...

JRobinson

MiLB
What on earth does this article tell us? Nothing, aside from some quotes and thing we already knew about Williams. Waste of time to read that jibberish. From what we have seen, we really just don't know how good he is at this point. When we did see him on the field, he was no better than the third string corner, if that. I think it would be safe to say that as far as talent goes, Gaines could be just as good or better than McGee. Yeah, he has a year under his belt, but one year of experience, is not going to get you more playing time just because you have that experience.

Alan

Legend
I'm still waiting for Gaines to actually make his first legitimate wrap up tackle. Does anybody have a highlight video where he does that?

McGee has all the measurables and Gaines has the instincts but I don't see either of them being anything but an emergency answer. CB is a 1st or 2nd round selection priority in next year's draft IMO.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm still waiting for Gaines to actually make his first legitimate wrap up tackle. Does anybody have a highlight video where he does that?

McGee has all the measurables and Gaines has the instincts but I don't see either of them being anything but an emergency answer. CB is a 1st or 2nd round selection priority in next year's draft IMO.

With all due respect, Gaines is already much more than that, IMO. Tackling is not an issue with Gaines. And his instincts and football smarts seem to be a perfect fit for Williams's defense. One of the things that is a part of the Williams scheme, is he expects his players to be able to read and diagnose things, much the same way offensive players need to make sight adjustments.

Seattle, and R. Sherman excel in this sort of thing. Most of Sherman's INTs come from him reading and anticipating, and dropping off coverage to make a play. This is what Williams can be heard screaming on a daily basis, and guys like Gaines and Joyner or exactly these type of players.

Gaines gets labeled as being a zone coverage CB. But that is mainly because of these instincts. He has also showed similar characteristics while in man coverage. One of his INTs in camp came from this sort of play. He was running with his man to the corner, and reacted to the ball in the air, peeled back towards the ball, leaving his man. And voila, when the ball ends up being over thrown, he is right there to make a diving INT.

As to his tackling, that's always been one of his strengths. He isn't shy about coming up in run support. And while he may miss a tackle (who doesn't in the secondary), that's another thing Williams demands.

Alan

Legend
CoachO liking Gaines but missing my point:
Tackling is not an issue with Gaines. And his instincts and football smarts seem to be a perfect fit for Williams's defense. One of the things that is a part of the Williams scheme, is he expects his players to be able to read and diagnose things, much the same way offensive players need to make sight adjustments.

As to his tackling, that's always been one of his strengths. He isn't shy about coming up in run support.
A few things:

I trust your evaluation of a player's talents CoachO and you probably have a pretty good track record in that regard. The only major disagreement I have with anything in your post is your comments about his tackling abilities. As I said in my post, his instincts are his strong point. I think he has OK ball skills too.

However, someone posted his highlight video and he didn't make a single wrap up tackle. His "technique" is to lead with his shoulder and try to knock the other player down. This "technique" frequently leads to completely wiffing on the tackle. That is exactly what I saw when I watched his games. Highlight stops (I don't even want to call them tackles) followed by complete wiffs.

He's fearless and as you said, not shy about helping out in run support. Is he effective though? When I listen to you and others (mostly Missouri Tiger fans) talk up his virtues and express your excitement concerning what he might bring to the Rams, my first thought is "I'm sure glad we used that 3rd round pick on him". Then of course I realize that none of the teams (including the Rams) thought very highly of his skill set. He was a 6th round draft pick for no good reason? Some posters would immediately jump in and proclaim "it's his size that caused him to fall" and I'd say really? Is that why Joyner fell all the way to the second round and then I'd type SMH (just learned that one yesterday :LOL:).

He's a 6th round draft pick and like all 6th round draft picks he has very little chance of making your team much less becoming a quality player for you.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Saw McGee take the #3 spot I think during the Saints game? He had the coverage down, the problem was that he played with too much aggression. Hope he toned it down a bit because I like his athletic intangibles

Philly5

Rookie
Camp stories make me more nervous. Like we know we got a hole, and we are trying to pump up somebody to fill it.