Rams notebook: McDonald's big game falls short of NFC recognition/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: McDonald's big game falls short of NFC recognition
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b46cdd31-d95e-5142-babb-9096b7126f77.html

Rams coach Jeff Fisher is not sure what more T.J. McDonald can do.

Despite blocking a punt and a field goal in the Rams’ 19-17 win over the Buccaneers in Tampa on Sunday, McDonald was beaten out by Arizona’s Ted Ginn Jr. for NFC special teams player of the week.

“They were huge plays,’’ the coach said. “In a two-point game, to block a field goal and a punt and be the same person who did it. I would think you would get a little bit of consideration for (the award). Apparently, those people that voted must have thought we had a bye week last week or something. I don’t know what’s going on.

“Again, Ted Ginn’s a really good player and I have nothing against Ted, but I thought maybe (T.J.) would’ve got some consideration.’’

McDonald, a second-year safety from USC, did a little of everything Sunday. In addition to finishing as team co-leader in tackles (nine) and adding a quarterback pressure, he blocked a punt that led to a field goal that helped the Rams take a 10-7 lead to the half and later blocked a field goal on the opening play of the fourth quarter.

Then, on the game’s final play, he delivered a big hit on Bucs rookie Mike Evans that forced a 10-second runoff to secure the Rams’ first win of 2014.

Ginn returned a punt 71 yards early in the final quarter to help the Cardinals overtake the Giants and win 25-14 Sunday. Ginn has won the award three times — with three different teams.

“It’s not frustrating to me at all because we got the win and that’s all the matters,’’ McDonald said after helping the Rams block a punt and field goal in the same game for the first time since 1979. “I went out there and made plays and helped our team win.’’

McDonald’s blocks came on similar-looking plays. From the left side, he cut inside the last Tampa Bay blocker to make the plays — with a little help from defensive end William Hayes.

“It’s something we work on in practice. It’s just a matter of getting an opportunity and taking advantage,’’ McDonald said. “On the first one, I got there easier than I expected, so I told Will that if you can grab that guy’s arm, I’d be able to get in there again.

“He grabbed it and I was able to get through the gap.’’

McDonald, 23, sees special teams as a continuation of his defensive responsibilities.

“I’m a defensive player and I treat (special teams) as defensive snaps,’’ he said. “I work my butt off on defense to get to fourth down, so I might as well finish it.’’

On the game’s final play, Evans made a leaping catch on a 29-yard pass from Josh McCown that put Tampa Bay into field goal range at the Rams’ 32.

But McDonald’s hit left Evans unable to continue and, because the Bucs had already used their three timeouts, the officials applied the mandatory 10-second runoff to end the game.

“It was a big hit. It kind of boggled me a little bit,’’ Evans told the Tampa Bay Times.

“I heard him on the ground. He was making some noises, so I knew it wasn’t good (for him),’’ McDonald said. “He was exchanging words with a lot of guys on the defense, so it was a good feeling to end the game like that. Not to hurt him, but to end the game with a big play.’’

TOUGH CALL ON DUNBAR

A very questionable roughing-the-passer call on Rams linebacker Jo-Lon Dunbar in the fourth quarter turned a fourth-and-5 from the Tampa 23 into a first down and led to the Bucs taking a 17-16 lead with just over 5 minutes to play.

“It’s frustrating ... and my pockets might feel the brunt of it,’’ the seventh-year pro said. “I thought I pretty much did it the way you’re supposed to. I hit him in the shoulder.’’Fisher said he understood the call but didn’t necessarily agree with it.

“The referee’s responsibility, as soon as anybody gets near the quarterback, is to come off the tackle ... and go to the quarterback,’’ Fisher said. “The issue is that the quarterback is between him and the contact, so he can’t see it. So the assumption is that the contact was high — in the helmet, head (or) neck area — so he threw the flag.’’

Last year, when McCown was with the Bears, the Rams’ Michael Brockers was flagged for a similarly questionable roughing-the-passer call. Brockers was not fined.

INJURY REPORT

Sitting out practice Wednesday were receiver Tavon Austin (knee), tight end Cory Harkey (knee) and center Scott Wells (not injury related). Center Barrett Jones (back) and cornerback Trumaine Johnson (knee) are not expected to practice for at least a couple of more weeks.

Quarterback Shaun Hill (thigh) and defensive back Brandon McGee (foot) were limited during Wednesday’s practice.

For Dallas, six players sat out Wednesday’s workout. They were quarterback Tony Romo (back), receiver Dez Bryant (shoulder), linebacker Rolando McClain (groin), linebacker Justin Durant (groin), running back Joseph Randle (concussion) and defensive tackle Davon Coleman (knee).

Defensive end Antonio Spencer (knee), defensive tackle Ken Bishop (illness) and tight end Gavin Escobar were limited while defensive end Lavar Edwards (knee) and guard Zack Martin (foot) were full participants in Wednesday’s workout.

RAM-BLING

As expected, the Rams signed defensive tackle Matt Conrath to the practice squad. A third-year pro from Virginia, Conrath was waived on Monday to create a spot on the roster for receiver Stedman Bailey.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
2 blocks should win every week.
If it was so easy we'd see more of them.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Apparently no one returns a punt for a big gain anymore. /shrug

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, McDonald got jobbed for sure. Sucks, but, he has done nothing but look like a play maker when he is on the field.
The problem with the roughing call and as Fisher said the red not really seeing but still throwing the flag is he is them anticipating the flag. It's the problem the NBA has with fouls.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
whens the last time the same player blocked a kick AND a punt in a game?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
whens the last time the same player blocked a kick AND a punt in a game?
It’s not frustrating to me at all because we got the win and that’s all the matters,’’ McDonald said after helping the Rams block a punt and field goal in the same game for the first time since 1979

So if it's been that long since we've had a player to do it, it must be a pretty rare feat!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was taught that, when writing a report, you should always include, Who, What, When, Where, and Why. After reading this, I want to know WHO exactly Robbed T.J.( name names!) so I can write them, Tell them what I think! And WHY they came to there choice!? IDIOTS!!
52442708.jpg
football-dummies-book-outblush.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So if it's been that long since we've had a player to do it, it must be a pretty rare feat!

Is that the last time a Rams player did it or a player in the NFL?

Either way in a two point game blocking the figgie is the winning play, add in the blocked punt and it should seal the deal.

Each week there are punts run back for TD's, it's not uncommon.

rams2050

Starter
More of the same ol', same ol' from the NFL when it comes to the Rams and their players. Almost makes me want to put on my tin-foil hat and go home. . . :censored:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
2 blocks should win every week.
If it was so easy we'd see more of them.
Unless the plays were by a Ram :(

Goodhell can't depart fast enough. I predict our fortunes will change dramatically when that son of a NY Senator is pushed out the door.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher unhappy McDonald was overlooked
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11860/fisher-unhappy-mcdonald-was-overlooked

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- On Wednesday afternoon, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher was asked an innocent question about safety T.J. McDonald's ability to block kicks on special teams.

After a short response about McDonald's skills in that area, Fisher took the conversation in a different direction.

Clearly, Fisher was none too pleased to hear the news that Arizona returner Ted Ginn won the NFC's Special Teams Player of the Week honor instead of McDonald. It's an understandable position to take given what McDonald accomplished compared to Ginn last week.

"In a two-point game to block a field goal and block a punt and be the same person who did it, I would think you would get a little bit of consideration for Player of the Week," Fisher said. "Apparently, those people that voted must've thought we had our bye week last week or something, I don't know what's going on. Again, Ted Ginn's a really good player and I have nothing against Ted, but I thought maybe (McDonald) would've gotten some consideration.”

It's hard to argue with Fisher's point. McDonald blocked a punt and a field goal against the Buccaneers and his blocked field goal prevented Tampa Bay from extending its lead to four points, eventually paving the way for kicker Greg Zuerlein's game winning field goal.

Ginn returned a punt 71 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter of the Cardinals' 25-14 win against the New York Giants on Sunday. Certainly, it was a big play that helped Arizona secure the win. But Ginn's award is the third of his career and McDonald's big plays were every bit as influential in helping the Rams get a victory.

Taking it further, comparing multiple blocked kicks to one punt return touchdown should be apples and oranges. Against the Bucs, McDonald became the first player to block a field goal and a punt in the same game since New England's Patrick Chung on Oct. 4, 2010. By way of comparison, there were 61 punt returns for touchdowns from week 4 of that season until Ginn's most recent touchdown.

To his credit, McDonald seemed nonplussed by the snub.

"It's not frustrating to me," McDonald said. "We got the win, that's all that matters to me. I went out there and made plays and helped our team win so that was the biggest thing."

And though McDonald's coach doesn't technically have a vote, he cast one anyway.

“I voted for him,” Fisher said.

For the second-year safety, that seems to be more than enough.

"That's all that matters, what happens in this building right here," McDonald said.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
i think thats just the Rams franchise but either way its rare as shit. its an insulting slap in the face the way the NFL looks down on some teams. Every week that goes by i grow more disgusted with the NFL

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That roughing one Dunbar was such BS. NFL officials must thing McCown is a pussy, because they call roughing on him for legal hits.

diverdown

UDFA
As of Monday, E.J. Gaines was still officially being credited for the second block - have they changed the official stats? That's my guess why T.J. didn't win the award - it was awarded before corrections to stats were made.

Or we could go with the tin foil hat theory.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
In 1979 it was not the same player who did it. Jerry Wilkinson blocked a FG and Ivory Sully blocked a punt that Joe Harris returned for a score. Also, Nolan Cromwell ran a fake FG in for a TD. 3 huge ST plays. Jack Youngblood had 3-1/2 sacks, and Vince Ferregam0 had to be rescued by Bob Lee. Rams won 27-21

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Maybe if this sorry ass coaching staff had coached him on how to block a punt then pick it up and return it for a TD he might have garnered some consideration for the award. :ROFLMAO: